JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just ordered a new JL and are planning out the modifications we are planning. We've talked to a couple of owners, and here's what we're considering so far...Updated Build List with current build...

Metalcloak Game Changer 3.5"
Falcon 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback
Dana Ultimate 60 JL Front and Rear 5.38 gears
ARB Compressor Mount More
CB mounting bar Wayalife
Nitto Trail Grappler 40x13.50x17
Frt Bumper Alum Patriot Mid RockHard
Frt Bumper Tow Bar Brackets RockHard
Rr Patriot Bumper with Spare Carrier RockHard
Rockhard4x4 Armor System Rockhard
Rocker Guards-Steel-Powdercoat Genright
Zeon 10S Warn
Compressor-twin Arb
Seat covers Bartac
Raceline RT 233 79580-19 AL Wheels
Blue Ox or Roadmaster Tow
Tazer JL Mini
Front and Rear Drive Shafts JE Reel
Tie Rod & Drag Link Synergy
Artec Front and Rear Inner Fender Liners
American Adventure Labs Front Fender Reinforcement and Light Kit

I would appreciate hearing anyone's comments or suggestions on any of these. Some of the questions I have are:

1) With 39 or 40" tires, what mods will I need to make for fender and inner liner clearance. Any recommendations, I'd like to retain the fender leds and markers...

2) I've heard 40" tires can cause issues with transmission shifting...anybody experienced this?

3) We're not going to do it right away, but think it is likely we will have to add hydraulic steering, has anybody done PSC or Red Neck on a JL yet? Have you had problems with flat towing after hydraulic steering?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

Loren

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
It should not take a whole lot to fit KM3's as they measure 37.5 installed with the jeep on them. A 2.5" lift should be enough. I am not up to speed on the JL electronics and the use of programers to adjust for shift points and odometer correction but I have heard of them going into limp mode when heavily modded and you get off camber. the hydraulic assist should not have any issues with flat towing.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I don't think you want to run 6 pack shocks with 39's either, there is no need to run them as the big tires limit up travel and that is where the 6 pack shocks get their extra travel, on the up side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JL

I've already added a Dynatrac 44 to the list, but I think the 39" KM3s are 38.5" in height. Any suggestions on other shocks?

Loren

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I don't think you want to run 6 pack shocks with 39's either, there is no need to run them as the big tires limit up travel and that is where the 6 pack shocks get their extra travel, on the up side.
I know you have explained this before but can you do it again please? I thought collapsed these were the same length as traditional shocks so there wouldnt be more uptravel.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The 6 pack shocks do not have the same collapsed measurements as a conventional shock when measuring total travel. The 6 pack has a much smaller collapsed length and a shorter extended length. A 15" travel metal cloak shock has 13.25" compressed length and a 28.25" extended length. a king 14" travel shock has a compressed length of 21.58" and extended of 35.58"

The benefit is that you can stuff the wheel farther into the wheel well and not require as much bump stop as a conventional shocks would. If you run such a big tire that you have clearance issues you will have to add bump stop which if you were running 6 pack shocks would sacrifice up travel. On the droop side a conventional shock will droop 6"-7" farther then the 6 pack shock will.

The 6 pack shock is a good solution for those that want to run a good balance of up/down travel with minimum lift using the factory mount locations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for everyone's comments. I now have a Dana 60 on order and since the KM3s are not available in 39s, I've switched to Nitto TG 40s. Any other suggestions?

Here's the current build...

Metalcloak Game Changer 3.5"
Falcon 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback
Dana Ultimate 60 JL Front and Rear 5.38 gears
ARB Compressor Mount More
CB mounting bar Wayalife
Nitto Trail Grappler 40x13.50x17
Frt Bumper Alum Patriot Mid RockHard
Frt Bumper Tow Bar Brackets RockHard
Rr Patriot Bumper with Spare Carrier RockHard
Rockhard4x4 Armor System Rockhard
Rocker Guards-Steel-Powdercoat Genright
Zeon 10S Warn
Compressor-twin Arb
Seat covers Bartac
Raceline RT 233 79580-19 AL Wheels
Blue Ox or Roadmaster Tow
Tazer JL Mini
Front and Rear Drive Shafts JE Reel
Tie Rod & Drag Link Synergy
Artec Front and Rear Inner Fender Liners
American Adventure Labs Front Fender Reinforcement and Light Kit

Loren

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They built a few, but every place I checked is out of them with no ETA. BFG Chat told me this week that they can see production plans for next 4 weeks, and there are no plans for KM3 39's at least till after that.

Loren

·
Registered
916 Posts
They built a few, but every place I checked is out of them with no ETA. BFG Chat told me this week that they can see production plans for next 4 weeks, and there are no plans for KM3 39's at least till after that.

Loren

Exactly as I predicted. Glad I got mines when I dids...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I 2014 jeep2.JPG

I'll see if this works, Just bought this 3 weeks ago got it from the original owner. looks and runs like new with nearly all the options available in 2014.
I don't think it was ever off road. And it runs a lot stronger than the 2008 that I had.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I View attachment 335936

I'll see if this works, Just bought this 3 weeks ago got it from the original owner. looks and runs like new with nearly all the options available in 2014.
I don't think it was ever off road. And it runs a lot stronger than the 2008 that I had.
What does that have to do with this thread? :cwm13:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Might want to make sure the front bumper will clear 40s. On my JK, i had a bumper the width of the grill and the tires touched it just barely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts