JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of older posts about installing JLU axles on a JK but decided I should probably start a new one.

I purchased a 2008 JKU that I did not realize had a bent front axle It drove fine but the drivers side axle shaft was broken and when I went to replace it I found that the tube was bent enough that I could not even get the shaft in. I have been looking for a reasonably priced JK axle but so far I am only finding high mileage Dana 30's in the $1500 range and I think that is a crap shoot at best.

I ran across a reasonably priced "JLU Stock Rock-Trac ".axle. I thought that the rock-trac referred to the transfer case but I guess the axles could be unique as well. I know that the JL is about an inch wider but was wondering what was involved with putting this in the front of my JKU if I kept my rear axle. Maybe put some spacers on the rear to make the track the same?

The other posts made it look like it was pretty much a straight install on the front but that the back axle took more work.

· Premium Member
4,720 Posts
There is not a lot of love for then JL axels as they have a split passenger side axle shafts for the disconnect and the aluminum knuckles that have had issues breaking and shearing ball joints. This has caused the JK rubicon 44 prices to rise to dumb prices and you really are better off with an aftermarket housing or axle. Unless you are looking for a rubicon JK axle there are plent of dana 30 fronts out there for cheap. I have a couple in my pile of parts. One with 4.10 gears and one with 5.13 gears. I should have another one in a week or 2 with 3.21 gears. $250 would buy any of them.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is not a lot of love for then JL axels as they have a split passenger side axle shafts for the disconnect and the aluminum knuckles that have had issues breaking and shearing ball joints. This has caused the JK rubicon 44 prices to rise to dumb prices and you really are better off with an aftermarket housing or axle. Unless you are looking for a rubicon JK axle there are plent of dana 30 fronts out there for cheap. I have a couple in my pile of parts. One with 4.10 gears and one with 5.13 gears. I should have another one in a week or 2 with 3.21 gears. $250 would buy any of them.
The cheapest I have found within 100 miles is $750 with 488 gears. Another one with a yukno locker at $1100 and another stock one for $1500. Wish you were closer.

· Registered
4 Posts
I will be selling my JKUR Dana 44s soon. I am in process of shopping some aftermarket hybrid Dana 60s (Dana 60 with 5x5 lug). I am looking at the axles for the JL at 68" wide. The JK ones are 65.5". My wheels are 4.5" back space. By doing this I can go to a 38x13.5 tire without much fear of rubbing. Been on 35s with 3.73 gears for 7 years now time to move up and get get gears either 4.88 or 5.13.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be selling my JKUR Dana 44s soon. I am in process of shopping some aftermarket hybrid Dana 60s (Dana 60 with 5x5 lug). I am looking at the axles for the JL at 68" wide. The JK ones are 65.5". My wheels are 4.5" back space. By doing this I can go to a 38x13.5 tire without much fear of rubbing. Been on 35s with 3.73 gears for 7 years now time to move up and get get gears either 4.88 or 5.13.
I assume that JKUR is a Rubicon JKU and therefore you would have front and rear 44's with lockers. Wouldn't those be 4.10 and not 3.73 ratio? Where are you located? I may be interested in your axles when you do your swap.

· Registered
8,446 Posts
What 60s come in a 5x5 pattern?

· Premium Member
4,720 Posts
The JL axle kinda sucks. There have been several issues with them and big tires. You are better off with 60's on a 38" tire but I would go with a full float over the semi float, more money new wheels and all but it gains you big breaks and lock out hubs as well as the extra strength.

· Registered
17 Posts
Those Jl axles have the fad, which is a 2 part shaft. Some Jl owners will get rid of the 2 piece and put a single axle shaft in there to make it stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts