JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I thought the JL had new super strong axles from the factory?
I know that the RCV joints are bigger in the JL axle, but there is room for improvement in everything. Chrysler likely said to Spicer give us an axle with these specs, Spicer said here you go. Then went and beefed it up the way they wanted to. Likely larger and thicker tubes among other things.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
"Smaller, 220mm ring gear than the gearing in Dana 44™ axles for greater strength"

How is smaller stronger? :cwm13:

From a press release on this subject:

The Dana 44 AdvanTEK axle assemblies for the Jeep JL Wrangler offer higher torque capacity than the standard Dana Model 44™ axle. The Spicer® gearing used in Dana 44™ axles have a 226mm ring gear size, while Dana 44™AdvanTEK® axles have a smaller, more durable 220mm ring gear.

Significant features and benefits of the Dana 44™AdvanTEK® axles

Axle Shafts
Stock front axle knuckles designed to accept Spicer® 1410 u-joint
Dana 44™ AdvanTEK® axle shafts upgraded from 30 to 32 spline

Ball Joint Assembly
High-capacity upper and lower ball joints
Adjustable camber slugs allow for adjustment for gross axle weight rating changes

Seal Upgrades
New high-performance cartridge-style oil seals on front axle
New triple lip seals with axial excluder for maximum muddy water protection on rear axle

Housing Strength
Front axle tube diameter increased to 70mm from 63.5mm
Rear axle tube diameter remains at 80mm, but upgraded to high strength steel

Differential
Electric locking differential
Pinion offset decreased from 38.1mm to 20mm offering better ground clearance and higher efficiency

Axle Disconnect System
Electric disconnect system that improves fuel economy
A protective skid plate has been added to avoid off-road damage

New Suspension Mounting
Most brackets have moved to 5mm material and are now made with high-strength steel

Cover Sealing Upgrade
Re-useable rubber over metal gaskets

Gear Set
Carriers protected for 3.07 to 5.38 ratios

...seems like a bunch of kaka, but wadda I know?

:bounce2:

:jeep2:

·
Registered
124 Posts
They changed the hypoid angle of the gear teeth.
That's interesting that they managed to decrease hypoid offset and increase the strength. Traditionally a greater hypoid offset resulted in greater strength. That said, "traditional" gear technology was from the 1950s, so a lot has changed, and Dana really has been upping the game since the introduction of the JK/Superduty axles. If you look at the latest and greatest Superduty stuff, it really is impressive what they're putting in only a 3/4 ton truck.

Too bad the JL is ugly. It honestly seems like a decent platform. Once you weld all the brackets onto the frame correctly, that is.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was out with a friend yesterday. The first thing i noticed on his JL is that the C’s were relatively huge. Axle shafts looked a touch bigger, too.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If they are aluminum, I wonder how they mate them to the tubes...
Not an expert, but one of the things I've always heard about aluminum is that it doesn't react well with pretty much any other metal.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Someone can correct my impressions here, but there’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10. They attempted to explain the strength advantage of the JL gears vs JK, but the JL gears look like a JK Dana 30. Not convinced.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Someone can correct my impressions here, but there’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10.
If you take an axle and increase the numerical gear ratio, the pinion always gets smaller, it has to to achieve the new ratio. Even if you take a D80 axle, a 5.13 pinion will appear tiny compared to a 4.10 pinion for the same axle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Someone can correct my impressions here, but there’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10. They attempted to explain the strength advantage of the JL gears vs JK, but the JL gears look like a JK Dana 30. Not convinced.
There's far more to the strength of a gear than just its size. Most gear failures are caused by the gears deflecting from each other, and the contact pattern riding farther up the teeth until it finally breaks them off. You can make a really small gear set survive if you can control these things, such as by adding a third pinion (snout) bearing, or a load control bolt or thrust bearing for the carrier, however these are not solutions Dana has employed. The ability of pinon bearings and body to prevent the pinion head from deflecting is huge, yet not terribly apparent by just looking at the gears. This is where most of the later gen Dana axles saw big upgrades, the pinion itself is thicker through the whole body, and the bearings are larger. Also, the carrier side bearings, strength of the carrier itself, and the strength of the whole housing also play heavily into this. Again, all things that were upgraded, although some of these had good aftermarket solutions in traditional axles. What's really changed is how they've cut the gears, as they changed the hypoid offset, and I really don't know what they've done there, but I'm sure it's better just on the basis that the old offset was based on 1950s (at best) technology. How the gears were cut did change from the regular D30/D44 to the JK variants, and it appears to have worked in the real world, but they did not play with the hypoid offset at that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts