JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep says they’ve solved the DW problem on the new JL....it’s the steering damper.

Jeep has tracked the issue on the latest generation of the Wrangler -- known as the JL – to the steering damper. The chief technical compliance officer, Mark Chernoby, told the paper that a design flaw allowed air to get in at cold temperatures, reducing vibration control at certain frequencies.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-wrangler-death-wobble-fix
Based on this solution I’m guessing the JL may have more problems with DW in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Sounds legit. Oh wait, the other thing: BS.

So every steering damper ever made had this "design flaw" that Chrysler has now found and magically solved? Because I'm pretty sure that many people who've had DW issues had something other than the factory damper. And I'm pretty sure it happens in warm weather too.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don’t know if I trust anything with the name Chernobly. The last thing with that close of name melted the fuck down and is still a hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Holy hellacious heaps of horseshit, Batman! :cwm13:

I guess they don't expect veterans of DW battles to read that?

:idea: FCA should offer dual or quad steering dampers under warranty
. . . you know, just to be sure :laughing:​

EDIT: they might wanna' look closely at the track bar while installing that magic bullet damper

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I don’t know if I trust anything with the name Chernobly. The last thing with that close of name melted the fuck down and is still a hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought the same thing. Recently saw they are now putting a dome over the dome that's collapsing and making radioactive vodka from the region.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy hellacious heaps of horseshit, Batman! :cwm13:

I guess they don't expect veterans of DW battles to read that?

:idea: FCA should offer dual or quad steering dampers under warranty
. . . you know, just to be sure :laughing:​

EDIT: they might wanna' look closely at the track bar while installing that magic bullet damper
Who knew it was a simple fix for DW? A quad steering damper.

I could have saved myself years of frustration and some serious $$$ if only I knew it was a simple fix.

I can now get rid of my laminated planman DW diagnoses sheet.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I could have saved myself years of frustration and some serious $$$ if only I knew it was a simple fix.
Don't feel bad - I was fooled, too. :homersimpson:

I honestly didn't know the steering damper could even be one of the potential causes of death wobble.

You know what? I'm feeling like a slow learner today so, regrettably, I still don't know that :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Who knew it was a simple fix for DW? A quad steering damper.

I can now get rid of my laminated planman DW diagnoses sheet.
Quad dampers is so old-school. I’m going with a heavy duty, adjustable, dual setup with remote reservoirs and electronic, magnetostrictive, auto adjustments with vibration sensing and automatic DW frequency compensation, automatic temperature compensation and southern hemisphere coreolis effect compensation. Death wobble solved.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Quad dampers is so old-school. I’m going with a heavy duty, adjustable, dual setup with remote reservoirs and electronic, magnetostrictive, auto adjustments with vibration sensing and automatic DW frequency compensation, automatic temperature compensation and southern hemisphere coreolis effect compensation. Death wobble solved.
Fawk yes! Technology and complexity are way better than simple physics for making solid-axle steering predictable :beer:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I wonder what that genius makes a year? Whatever he makes is way too much to come up with this conclusion.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,241 Posts
Don't feel bad - I was fooled, too. :homersimpson:

I honestly didn't know the steering damper could even be one of the potential causes of death wobble.

You know what? I'm feeling like a slow learner today so, regrettably, I still don't know that :laughing:
Don’t worry, “lite brite” can dumb it down for you.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
You know what it really sounds like? Jeep just starting to diagnose death wobble. So far, it sounds like they have about 3 minutes invested into it.

Orrr, the JL's come with death wobble pre-installed at no extra charge, due to some self pumping stabilizer.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Thats the Fox one right?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Lite Brite, nothing like whoring yourself out for Jeep parts and people "donating" to your channel. Reminds of the other jeeper that liked the purple spotlight.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont know why all of you dont think this is a plausible cause. Im betting if a little cool breeze finds its way into your pants, then you shaft stiffens up too. :laughin2:
At my age, I welcome it....

Reactions: ALASHA
1 - 20 of 25 Posts