JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i am going out and buying a rear seat from a 2 door JK this weekend to put as the third row in Vanna, my JK. I am doing this to allow to either have the car seats back there or to have little people back there. People who have the teraflex bracket and the 2 door rear seat in the back what are you doing for seat belts? can i see pictures and know what i am going to do to make is safe. the seat i am getting has the headrests and the belt receivers but NOT the seat belts that attach to the jeep.

Thank you for your help in advance.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you and pm sent!

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is off of teraflex's website but I wouldn't be opposed to this set up!

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank youfor the quick response txrock.... I really want to do this lap belt... Is it safe? Or should I do the three point harness?

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I'm more paranoid about the third row than most folks because I rolled an 07 2 door on the highway. I don't like the idea for two reasons. Upside down gives you a new perspective on the world. I have a sport cage now and feel better but not completely safe. I am in welding classes now to build a better cage. The windshield just allows everything to fold down and over on itself.

One the rear is raised so it has the passengers very close to the top of the side panels. In a rollover they would be very vulnerable to ground impact.

Second, they are closer to the rear with less protection buffer from a rear end collision.

Again, I am probably more paranoid than most so take it for what it's worth.

Just guardrail and road. Flat, daylight, 70mph, no other vehicle involved. The damage speaks for itself.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wooooow... From the looks of the picture it didn't matter where you were in that jk! That's why I want to put a roll cage in there... This isn't for long trips but I still want it to be "safe" and that is why I want to put a good seat belt in there!

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well picked my seat up today!!! $100!!! Never sat in! Brand new!!!

And me just looking to see what is will look like!!!! Wife surprised me and ordered the brackets and they will be in on Friday!!! Weekend project!!!!!

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm more paranoid about the third row than most folks because I rolled an 07 2 door on the highway. I don't like the idea for two reasons. Upside down gives you a new perspective on the world. I have a sport cage now and feel better but not completely safe. I am in welding classes now to build a better cage. The windshield just allows everything to fold down and over on itself.

One the rear is raised so it has the passengers very close to the top of the side panels. In a rollover they would be very vulnerable to ground impact.

Second, they are closer to the rear with less protection buffer from a rear end collision.

Again, I am probably more paranoid than most so take it for what it's worth.
I don't think you are paranoid at all. I think this is by far the most irresponsible mod anyone can do to a JK. Just how the hell, do you get some little kid or even an adult out if they survive a roll or for that matter a good ass-ender? Brain matter way to close to pavement.

I feel my most important resonsibility, as the driver, is to get every passenger out of the vehicle in case of a roll-over, this capacity put anyone way over the limit.

Now, for a once a year party on the beach - maybe, on the pavement - never.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i think it is great and in a roll over i dont think ANYONE would fair well in the pictures above!

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
I don't think you are paranoid at all. I think this is by far the most irresponsible mod anyone can do to a JK. Just how the hell, do you get some little kid or even an adult out if they survive a roll or for that matter a good ass-ender? Brain matter way to close to pavement.

I feel my most important resonsibility, as the driver, is to get every passenger out of the vehicle in case of a roll-over, this capacity put anyone way over the limit.

Now, for a once a year party on the beach - maybe, on the pavement - never.
I definitely see the need for some cage work since there would basically be none above the new rear seat. Just curious, not trying to argue, you have some valid points there. How much closer is that seat to anything than the back of a TJ or even a 2-door JK?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i totally understand about the cage and think that yes there should be a make shift cage in there.... this is just too good of a mod to pass up and so many people are doing it! i see pictures of roll overs in jeeps and it looks like people did NOT walk away from them!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I definitely see the need for some cage work since there would basically be none above the new rear seat. Just curious, not trying to argue, you have some valid points there. How much closer is that seat to anything than the back of a TJ or even a 2-door JK?

In a 2 door, the driver immediately exits, grabs the seat recliner latch and starts removing bodies.

Imagine, simple flop on top, top on, third seaters hanging from their belts, add a water hole if you really want some action.

And I am not talking about 70 mph pavement rolls, probably everyone is f'ed anyway. I am talking about a simply trail flop. I have seen a lot of these third seats on here with no cage work.

I would just buy a Suburban.

BTW -arguing is ok.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i guess what i really want to do is install the seat first.... only do around town and obviously not on the highway.... but i want to get a sport cage and then integrate a rear section too! i think that would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
i guess what i really want to do is install the seat first.... only do around town and obviously not on the highway.... but i want to get a sport cage and then integrate a rear section too! i think that would be awesome!
I am not bagging on your idea dude - I just would like to see more ROP before folks put passengers way back there. I don't see how an effective and safe cage can be worked out without going full custom. It would appear really hard to exit out the sides, given the location of the factory C connection structure.

Just for [email protected] and giggles - and memory lane, didn't you post a picture of yourself emerging from Vanna's womb, stuck in the middle of a huge mud hole, hooking up a tow strap? How are you going to work that out with a third seat?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not bagging on your idea dude - I just would like to see more ROP before folks put passengers way back there. I don't see how an effective and safe cage can be worked out without going full custom. It would appear really hard to exit out the sides, given the location of the factory C connection structure.

Just for [email protected] and giggles - and memory lane, didn't you post a picture of yourself emerging from Vanna's womb, stuck in the middle of a huge mud hole, hooking up a tow strap? How are you going to work that out with a third seat?
yeah thats true and that was with a trektop NX and now i have a stock soft top and will be picking up my hardtop too! haha but yeah itll be difficult!!! craig what are some options... renderings you might have!? i know you are creative and fab a lot!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
yeah thats true and that was with a trektop NX and now i have a stock soft top and will be picking up my hardtop too! haha but yeah itll be difficult!!! craig what are some options... renderings you might have!? i know you are creative and fab a lot!

Maybe I am a bit twisted, but I laughed my ass off when I saw this photo before, and doubt I will ever forget it, because I usually make my wife do that chore.

As far as a cage design, I shutter. This mod reminds me of a safari type vehicle and use. Like I previous said, beach, parade, road hunt (where legal). I think this would make a great photoshop your use type thread.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.