JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a way to make my JKU more utilitarian as I carry more stuff than people (I rarely have more than 1 passenger, and no, I don't want to hear the "then why didn't you buy a JK rather than a JKU") and while the seat folds, I've been considering just removing it, but would like to have a deck/platform that is level with the back deck and replaces the seat. I've scoured the interweb and have only found something that was made by Kilby
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/tb-jeep-jk.htm
They say it's "new" on this site, but no one responds to my emails.

ACE Engineering did a prototype and posted some pics on social media:
https://www.facebook.com/aceengineering/posts/975702539114168
They tell me they had good response, but "it will be some time before we get to that project" as they have other things they need to get to first.

I like the look of the ACE - although it would be nice if the mounting point had a hinge to lift the panel so you could more easily access the area under the deck.

I'm guessing someone else out here has been looking for similar solution, and has either fabricated their own, or know of someone besides Kilby and ACE that have a concept, although apparently nothing to buy.

Thanks,

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Mine is not nearly that big, just big enough to hold a coleman 100 quart cooler. It is on hinges in the back so when I don't need it I can bungee it up against my tuffy drawer. I also welded square tubing in 3 places along the front lip for extra support when it is in the down position.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was looking for ideas on my basket design, I was thinking about going this direction instead.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33360
That's exactly what I want, and at this point I'd be fine with steel, aluminum, hinged or not (You may have noticed in the thread I inquired back in September of 2014) but apparently not enough demand.

This is a great opportunity for someone with fabrication skills and equipment, but not the overhead costs of a Poly Performance or other manufacturer, to make these in small quantities.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah after I had posted I paged through the thread and saw that you were on there.

I used Poly's large basket and fits in there almost perfectly. Not the most cost effective, but you could have a local fabricator modify the Baja Basket to what you are looking for.

Looked into a set of dimple dies to just make one myself and the cost was just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah after I had posted I paged through the thread and saw that you were on there.

I used Poly's large basket and fits in there almost perfectly. Not the most cost effective, but you could have a local fabricator modify the Baja Basket to what you are looking for.

Looked into a set of dimple dies to just make one myself and the cost was just wasn't worth it.
Did you fabricate some mounts, or do you have it resting on the floor?
Pics?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Fabbed up some removable support legs, but they tied into the role cage front and back.

Liked the way Poly used the mounting points for the OEM seats to mount the support legs for the deck though.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I wish that Poly deck was available.

Another Poly product I like no longer made. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts