JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of y’all have built up 4 doors on 39s or 40s with Dana 44s...
I have a rubicon with trussed 44, etc.. and needing new tires soon on 37s and looking into a pair of 39s...
I did some weight calculations and the new setup would weigh 115 pounds..
I do wheel but use my Jeep as a get around vehicle as well.
I have all upgraded steering and going to install a sector shaft brace and wheel and drive my Jeep very cautious but do like rocks...
would y’all run the 39s or?

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I had built up 44s and convinced myself I can drive with 40s. Took one emergency braking situation to change that. I would not recommend 39/40s on 44s. Can it be done sure but that doesnt mean that it should be done

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Emergency braking situation on the highway or explain just wondering..
I was doing 40ish on a road and someone thought it was a great idea to shift lanes in front of me. I stomped on the brakes and it took noticeably longer to stop than when I was on 37s. That was enough for me.

Also when we were taking the 40s off to do the axle swap, all the rear axle wheel studs were bent. They didnt do well with the new heavier weight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ran my 40’s with a sleeved and gusseted front 44 and stock rear 44 for about a year. Bent flanges on the rear shafts and bent the front housing. I didn’t have the budget for one tons at the time so I did a artec full truss in the rear with rcv shafts. Up front did a prorock 44 unlimited housing and swapped over my locker and rcv shafts. Been running that setup for almost 3 years now without problems running hard trails in Colorado and Moab.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
I ran my 40’s with a sleeved and gusseted front 44 and stock rear 44 for about a year. Bent flanges on the rear shafts and bent the front housing. I didn’t have the budget for one tons at the time so I did a artec full truss in the rear with rcv shafts. Up front did a prorock 44 unlimited housing and swapped over my locker and rcv shafts. Been running that setup for almost 3 years now without problems running hard trails in Colorado and Moab.
judt because I'm curious & always ask when it's mentioned, how'd you bend front housing(slamming down off something or ..?) & where on it was it bent, the long tube?

·
Registered
76 Posts
judt because I'm curious & always ask when it's mentioned, how'd you bend front housing(slamming down off something or ..?) & where on it was it bent, the long tube?
It actually was not Offroad. I was hauling a 3,000lb load of lumber on a trailer up a pass. The trailer was bouncing and bent the long tube.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
It actually was not Offroad. I was hauling a 3,000lb load of lumber on a trailer up a pass. The trailer was bouncing and bent the long tube.

wow.
The bouncig was extreme enough to bend the front housing longtube during the tow? That must have been some kind of ride from the lumber yard!
I guess big heavy jku bucking up and down in front is more force than I'd imagined. The d44 is pushing things w even a 37 so w 40s it musta thrown in it's towel.

I'd never heard of such damage b4. Glad you're in good shape now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
wow.
The bouncig was extreme enough to bend the front housing longtube during the tow? That must have been some kind of ride from the lumber yard!
I guess big heavy jku bucking up and down in front is more force than I'd imagined. The d44 is pushing things w even a 37 so w 40s it musta thrown in it's towel.

I'd never heard of such damage b4. Glad you're in good shape now.
It wasn’t bouncing an extreme amount. What I think happened was that the sleeves were welded too hot and it weakened the metal. It bent right at the plug welds

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ran 39.5 Iroks on my JKU for a couple of years before moving out of Alaska. I have a front Currie RockJock 44 with an ARB locker, 35 spline RCV shafts and 5.13 gears. The rear 44 is the stock housing and axle shafts with a Detroit TrueTrack and 5.13 gears. I wheeled it, but didn't beat on it and it worked fine. I'll probably go back to 40s when I wear out my current set of 37s.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts