JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 598 Posts

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Wow, really impressive layout and execution (so far, but . . . :cwm13: . . . it looks like you'll carry through :rockon: )

So, assuming you modeled this in CAD (or went full-on Rain Man figuring out all the little bits):
All the misc pieces
Questions:
  • What CAD program did you use (or are you a savant)?
  • Do you know offhand how much the doors will weigh?
  • Is this something you plan to commercialize as kits or complete?

Impressive attention to detail. Very nicely done :beer: Thanks for sharing!

·
pvanfab.com
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you ExWrench, I grew up using Autocad, but used Draftsight to draw these up. Since the outside skin is 11 gauge, these will definitely have some weight to them. My guess is they will almost be as heavy as a full door when I get done with the inside panels. I will try to weigh them soon. No plans right now for a kit. All depends on how I get the inside finished, otherwise the doors are pretty similar to savvy, but the goal is to be similar to zebra or rugged Ridge but with handles that line up lol (the shit drives me crazy)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
wow. That explanation is all-the-more impressive;with your skillset, couldn't the outside or the whole thing also be done in aluminum or would that be dastardly to try to TIG weld as well as costly as heck?
I do not think the Savvy doors are as complete as your design but they gotta be lighter.

I wasn't gonna comment but ExWrench read my thoughts and I wondered about weight, too.

the curve is so awesome.

you could dimple-die some inner stuff to lighten, maybe?
Maybe you haz engine that weight is not such a factor on.

·
pvanfab.com
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am doing steel so they will be armor and I can weld to the outer skins. I do not have the ability to tig :( yet. The inside skin will be 16 and 18 gauge.

·
pvanfab.com
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tonight I made 2 more hinges so I could mount the rear passenger door, and added curve to it. Top cap on front door will get redone after I receive my factory uppers.

·
pvanfab.com
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How are you "curving" the doors, Idk if I missed it.
Looks bomb though dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made some pieces, shown in a previous pic, that I drew with a huge radius, and after 2 attempts I got the front door right. The rear door I got right the first attempt. The jk body has about 3/8" roll to it from center

Thank you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Phenomenal work! And i share the same thoughts on the door handles, HATE that they don't line up on certain manufacturers (OCD sucks sometimes lol) and don't like the zebra handles protruding from the side of the door, both just look like afterthoughts to me.

1 - 20 of 598 Posts