JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cooler lines that run from the automatic transmission to the cooler are supported only by a 1/4" plastic friction fit hanger, connected to the right side of the engine block flange.
Mine failed at some point, on a 5 months old JKU, which allowed the cooler lines (aluminum) to fall on to the power steering line (steel) and wear a hole which eventually allowed the tranny oil to completely evacuate.
Chrysler supplies an average of 41 of these parts PER WEEK, which suggests an inherent weakness in this design and engineering.
Why is there not a recall and modification to this fragile component?
It seriously undermines Jeep's reputation, certainly with me, AND Chrysler is NOT considering this a warranty issue. I had to pay the bill for this repair, plus I was stuck in the desert and had to rely on a 4Runner to tow me out to the blacktop.
NOT GOOD FOR THE IMAGE!!!
All Pentastar JK owners with auto transmission, BEWARE.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't consider it a warranty repair...unless something came up from the trail and pulled the lines, breaking the hanger. But how would they know?

· Registered
269 Posts
Its the same on the 3.8 autos my rubber lines started to weep. When i went to dealer they said i was to hard on trails regardless of the recall on that specific problem. I ended up using a small tubing cutter to cut the lines and splice new rubber lines in with hose clamps on both ends. No more leaks, but i broke that damn clip on acident while fixing lines. Just metal zip tied together till i get better fix

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not damage, for sure

Evidence of the leak was in my driveway after I returned, with no Jeep.
It had never been off-road before this run, and the amount of wear could not have happened in such a short while, anyway.
The hanger must have broken quite a while before this, under normal, everyday use.
It IS a weak part, take a look.
I don't know about earlier or other models, as I've never had an automatic before. It will be my last.
However, consider the fact that 41 a week have broken; this is a design flaw, one would have to assume. So why is Chrysler trying to weasel out of the obvious?

· Registered
2,591 Posts
Evidence of the leak was in my driveway after I returned, with no Jeep.
It had never been off-road before this run, and the amount of wear could not have happened in such a short while, anyway.
The hanger must have broken quite a while before this, under normal, everyday use.
It IS a weak part, take a look.
I don't know about earlier or other models, as I've never had an automatic before. It will be my last.
However, consider the fact that 41 a week have broken; this is a design flaw, one would have to assume. So why is Chrysler trying to weasel out of the obvious?
Chrysler/Fiat has been fucking the jk owners since 07 with their cheap parts and piss poor design.And they avoid recalls with a passion.My advice to you would be to file a complaint with the Nhsta.Also provide proof of the "41 a week" thing you cited.

· Registered
61 Posts
I had the same problem with only 10k miles on mine. It took them 5 days to get parts. I sent emails to Jeep and got forwarded to a few different people. Here's a couple you can send emails to:

JILL SIGNORELLO

Customer Relations Supervisor

Executive Referral Work Flow Manager

Customer Care

Chrysler Group LLC

Office: (586) 274-8179

Fax: (586) 497 2112

Pam Szuber

Chrysler Group, LLC

Executive Referral

586-497-2044

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem with only 10k miles on mine. It took them 5 days to get parts. I sent emails to Jeep and got forwarded to a few different people. Here's a couple you can send emails to:

JILL SIGNORELLO

Customer Relations Supervisor

Executive Referral Work Flow Manager

Customer Care

Chrysler Group LLC

Office: (586) 274-8179

Fax: (586) 497 2112

Pam Szuber

Chrysler Group, LLC

Executive Referral

586-497-2044
No photos that can show the issue adequately. By the time we got to the shop it had been replaced. I did see the removed part, with the broken hanger.
The reported 41 used per week came directly from the parts guy who searched Chrysler records for that information.
The Jeep service manager said he does that to ascertain from the number used that there "might" be a problem. He was uncertain how to respond to this information, which was conveyed to him as I sat in his office.
He was still suggesting that someone had got under the Jeep and broken the hanger?! Right, 41 times a week!!
Still waiting for a response from them, but thanks for the names and numbers.
I will be pursuing this, you can be sure.

· Registered
61 Posts
I also sent this string to Pam Szuber and here's the response and my replies.

If you do a search "trans leak" of this site you will really see how many people, your customers that spent their hard earn money, (which is hard to come by these days) are having this issue. You should also do a "engine ticking" search. These are two problems I know you guys should be looking into. These are big issues and numerous people are having them. Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Help with your 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:29:28 +0000

Oh, OK.. thanks… I’m going to forward this string of emails to our engineers so they can get a better perspective from the customer’s view point.. thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Pam

Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 3:34 AM
To: Pamela Szuber
Subject: RE: Help with your 2012 Jeep Wrangler

It's happening again and again!!! Come on!!!

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85435

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.