1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good job Lance!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think its a great idea.... Soon as a hydrogen or electric comes out that doesn't cost a million bucks and can make it 400-500 miles on a charge or fill... I'll buy one for the daily commute.. Not givin up the JK though! Maybe someday a fully functional EV or hydrogen conversion?? hmmm:jeep2:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
no section for us bike commuter folks? bike as in pedals and 21 gears, lol. It may not be alternative fuel but it beats using gasoline.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hopefully, this won't turn into a hate thread. But, my only problem with gas is where we get most of it. You can say something about the environmental aspects, but all of the alternative fuels come with some type of baggage in one part of the supply chain or another. Solar is probably best, but you still have to make the panels.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I like the idea of this new forum....only I cannot talk intelligently enough about all the other alternative fuel sources...I know Brazil has had a lot of success using corn fuel in their vehicles, but right here at home, there are a plethora of issues...I love wind power, but many brain dead folk don't want those "ugly" windmills near their property...I'd rather have that then some concrete mushroom looming overhead like a nuke power plant; bio fuels are also a great source, but they will impact negatively on other things, such as food prices, availability, etc. Coal...I don't care what they say about coal...it's dangerous to those who have to mine it, and the human and environmental impact is, at the very least, catastrophic; solar power....probably our best shot...many individuals use it as a sole source of energy in their homes...couple that with wind power, and we have, what I believe to be a safe and winning combination...just my dos centavos.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I know Brazil has had a lot of success using corn fuel in their vehicles,
They use sugar cane to produce ethanol, which has an energy balance seven times more than ethanol produced from corn. Sugar cane is a far more efficient product to make ethanol from than corn.

·
Registered
441 Posts
For a single country off the list that is true. Here is the run-down (thousands of barrels per day):

CANADA 1,919
SAUDI ARABIA 1,530
MEXICO 1,484
VENEZUELA 1,227
NIGERIA 1,215
IRAQ 508
ANGOLA 408
Total = 8,291

Summary by region:

North America = 1,919 (23%)
Central/S. America = 2,711 (33%)
Africa = 1,623 (20%)
Middle East = 2,038 (25%)

Summary by stability (being somewhat generous):

Stable countries = 3,811 (46%)
Unstable countries = 4,480 (54%)

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
For crude oil and product imports for March 2008:

Persian Gulf - 78.071 million
Canada - 78.814 million

If we include Mexico and the various islands in North America then we imported 134 million barrels from North America.

Obviously the Persian Gulf region is a major exporter of crude and oil products to the USA, but we import most of it from North America not including what we produce ourselves.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the government should save their own asses and offer a huge discount of hybrid conversions for vehicles already on the road. I would gladly put a hybrid conversion on my JK then 37's :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think the government should save their own asses and offer a huge discount of hybrid conversions for vehicles already on the road. I would gladly put a hybrid conversion on my JK then 37's :D
The problem with that is the hybrids are built out of lightweight materials with low rolling resistance tires etc. The conversions do not work near as well as a designed hybrid. You might pick up an mpg or 3 with a conversion. Nothing real significant.

A

·
0 Posts
I like the Chevy volt idea better than a hybrid. Electric motors will have the power to deliver what gas does now to our t-cases and a generator engine for recharging the batteries when you’ve gone out of normal range is a great idea. If they get the volt out in 2012 I could see myself replacing my DD with one even though the normal range (before the gas engine kicks in) is 40 miles right now. Basically from what I’ve read my commute would cost me about 90 cents for the electrical power.

The only downside I can see is me forgetting to plug it in at night :shaking:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
They use sugar cane to produce ethanol, which has an energy balance seven times more than ethanol produced from corn. Sugar cane is a far more efficient product to make ethanol from than corn.
What did I say about talking intelligently about the subject???:thefinger::beer:

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Oh great, something new for me to spend my "forum time" on.:thefinger: Just kidding, this is a great idea. Looks good and already off to a decent start.

As far as solar goes, I have a some experience with it on a small scale. To me, solar is a solid power option. It obviously works better in some areas than others. And prices still need to come down for large scale use to flourish. When I get time I'll share some of my experiences on the new forum.:D

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
I like the Chevy volt idea better than a hybrid. Electric motors will have the power to deliver what gas does now to our t-cases and a generator engine for recharging the batteries when you’ve gone out of normal range is a great idea. If they get the volt out in 2012 I could see myself replacing my DD with one even though the normal range (before the gas engine kicks in) is 40 miles right now. Basically from what I’ve read my commute would cost me about 90 cents for the electrical power.

The only downside I can see is me forgetting to plug it in at night :shaking:
Yeah like running out of gas huh, except you would need an extension cord instead of jumper cables;)

Hey that would be a great use for my future solar generator trailer project:smokin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts