JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
8,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is still here whether active or just lurking from time to time?

Life happens... people move on to other vehicles, communities, or social platforms. But sometimes life long friendships are made through these communities centered around a shared interest in a specific vehicle or hobby. Here it is Jeeps, specifically JK's and the Jeeping lifestyle.

JKO and Pirate affected my life in profound ways... most of my closest friends originated here. I also have many friends that originated here I have never met in real life, or maybe just a few times at events but we know each other like we are neighbors via FB.

But some connections get lost... drift in the ebb and flow of life. Some are lost because here we have screen names and a sense of anonymity... while other platforms use our real world names creating a disconnect between them.

I have not posted here in any meaningful way in a long time... I drifted away as well.. got married, had 3 kids, moved, opened a shop... #life. But I was drawn here tonight to see who else might still be lurking around and make this thread as an invitation to check in. I was drawn to do this after learning of the loss of another one of JKO's OG's... BrentF70

I did get to meet Brent a few times through the years on the JKO runs at EJS. He lived in Colorado and was close friends with two other JKO OG's... Co4Lo and fourplyn (Jon and Troy). I was sadden with the news and was drawn here to JKO where all these friendships originated. I felt the same when a few years ago I learned of the loss of abendx whom I often sparred with but we also had a private mutual respect.

So if you're out there OG's.. check in.. where ya at!!??

RIP BrentF70

·
Administrator
8,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rubicajun (Allan) is another one we lost.

Its been rough here Hit. The new regime and UI of the site probably drove off almost everyone who was left hanging around to an already slow forum.

Glad to hear you are doing well!
Ugh..Rubicajun too... :cry:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yeah, I just logged in after occasionally lurking for a long time. Looks like I've been awarded several trophies since last log-in. Whatever the fuck that means. This place went through its usual life span when it comes to online forums.

It's new. You join. It has that new forum smell. Nice. After a few months of infrequent new posts, it gets busy. Yay! We can drop F bombs. What a cool forum. Constant posting. This was the place to be. Seriously. Us banned JKF guys found a cool place. We don't have to put up with that skullet wearing short-man-syndrome asshole anymore.

By the way, anyone know where Dustoff68 went? Is he still alive? One of my favorites here. There was another dude. Gold-something. Something-gold. He was really cool. Down to earth. I can go on, but I'm running out of wine.

Fast forward. Now this forum smells like a lawn and leaf bag full of stale empty Moosehead beer cans and corrugated pizza boxes. And maple syrup. And Justin Bieber. And Celine Dion. And whatever the hell else came from Canada. Oh yeah...Nickleback. Good lord. Oh well...

And before anyone says that I should post more if I want the forum to stay alive, I'm not really a social person. I like living in my fortress of solitude...especially during these "uncertain times". <- ugh. If I hear that shit one more time...

So yeah, there's that. LOL

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yeah, I just logged in after occasionally lurking for a long time. Looks like I've been awarded several trophies since last log-in. Whatever the fuck that means. This place went through its usual life span when it comes to online forums.

It's new. You join. It has that new forum smell. Nice. After a few months of infrequent new posts, it gets busy. Yay! We can drop F bombs. What a cool forum. Constant posting. This was the place to be. Seriously. Us banned JKF guys found a cool place. We don't have to put up with that skullet wearing short-man-syndrome asshole anymore.

By the way, anyone know where Dustoff68 went? Is he still alive? One of my favorites here. There was another dude. Gold-something. Something-gold. He was really cool. Down to earth. I can go on, but I'm running out of wine.

Fast forward. Now this forum smells like a lawn and leaf bag full of stale empty Moosehead beer cans and corrugated pizza boxes. And maple syrup. And Justin Bieber. And Celine Dion. And whatever the hell else came from Canada. Oh yeah...Nickleback. Good lord. Oh well...

And before anyone says that I should post more if I want the forum to stay alive, I'm not really a social person. I like living in my fortress of solitude...especially during these "uncertain times". <- ugh. If I hear that shit one more time...

So yeah, there's that. LOL
Hey now, sir. I believe Justin Bieber is your problem now.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm certainly not OG, but I've enjoyed the spewing of our crotchfruit hating friends, our special Red and Purple misfits, and the plethora of tech insights. This was the place to go.
It isn't now, mostly, so mostly I left.
Yes sir.. married in 2011 and she hasn't kicked me to the curb yet!
Sweet!
Is Line-ex really a good product?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm certainly not OG, but I've enjoyed the spewing of our crotchfruit hating friends, our special Red and Purple misfits, and the plethora of tech insights. This was the place to go.

Sweet!
Speaking of our special Red friend, he's on twitter talking to himself. Goes by amplighter.

·
Administrator
8,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sweet!

2010....Oh, you're OG coilrod... and good to see ya!

Here is the thing about bedliners... as long as you are dealing with a polyurea based product the thing that matters the most is who is doing the work. Prep is everything, application process after that and then chemical brand. What you get with LINE-X is a reassurance of all of those things. They do use the highest quality raw materials in making their chemical (polyurea) and it is the only true franchise of all the bedliner brands. When dealing with a franchise you get accountability. Just know that you are still dealing with humans and their are definitely some LINE-X shops out there that shouldn't be LINE-X shops but your odds are higher of getting quality work when dealing with a franchise that is held accountable to the franchisor. My advice is always tour the shop that is going to do the work, if the equipment and general shop is cruddy or in dissaray that says something. Look at work they've done, ask to what thickness they shoot the bedliner and which parts of the bed are getting what thicknesses. Then ask them how they measure the thickness... the meter we use cost $1200.00 which every LINE-X is required to have. Most other shops don't have a meter and just spray to what they think the thickness is based on experience, which is ok if the sprayer has ALOT of experience...but there is still no way to show you the customer what trhe thickness is if you dont they don't have the instrument. If you tell them at the time you make the appointment that you would like to be shown the thickness on the gauge when you pick up the truck that is about the most powerful thing you can say or do that will put the shop on notice they better do your chit right. It will also expose them as to whether or not they actually have the gauge. And yes, the most state of the art gauge can do both aluminum beds as well as steel beds. You are looking for 100+ mils on the floor and 60-80 on the sides at min. Armed with what I just told you, you have the best chance at getting a quality bedliner, because a spray in bedliner is a marriage with a very very expensive divorce. Don't EVER get a bedliner based on price, spend once, cry once. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
2010....Oh, you're OG coilrod... and good to see ya!

Here is the thing about bedliners... as long as you are dealing with a polyurea based product the thing that matters the most is who is doing the work. Prep is everything, application process after that and then chemical brand. What you get with LINE-X is a reassurance of all of those things. They do use the highest quality raw materials in making their chemical (polyurea) and it is the only true franchise of all the bedliner brands. When dealing with a franchise you get accountability. Just know that you are still dealing with humans and their are definitely some LINE-X shops out there that shouldn't be LINE-X shops but your odds are higher of getting quality work when dealing with a franchise that is held accountable to the franchisor. My advice is always tour the shop that is going to do the work, if the equipment and general shop is cruddy or in dissaray that says something. Look at work they've done, ask to what thickness they shoot the bedliner and which parts of the bed are getting what thicknesses. Then ask them how they measure the thickness... the meter we use cost $1200.00 which every LINE-X is required to have. Most other shops don't have a meter and just spray to what they think the thickness is based on experience, which is ok if the sprayer has ALOT of experience...but there is still no way to show you the customer what trhe thickness is if you dont they don't have the instrument. If you tell them at the time you make the appointment that you would like to be shown the thickness on the gauge when you pick up the truck that is about the most powerful thing you can say or do that will put the shop on notice they better do your chit right. It will also expose them as to whether or not they actually have the gauge. And yes, the most state of the art gauge can do both aluminum beds as well as steel beds. You are looking for 100+ mils on the floor and 60-80 on the sides at min. Armed with what I just told you, you have the best chance at getting a quality bedliner, because a spray in bedliner is a marriage with a very very expensive divorce. Don't EVER get a bedliner based on price, spend once, cry once. ;)
Who is still here whether active or just lurking from time to time?

Life happens... people move on to other vehicles, communities, or social platforms. But sometimes life long friendships are made through these communities centered around a shared interest in a specific vehicle or hobby. Here it is Jeeps, specifically JK's and the Jeeping lifestyle.

JKO and Pirate affected my life in profound ways... most of my closest friends originated here. I also have many friends that originated here I have never met in real life, or maybe just a few times at events but we know each other like we are neighbors via FB.

But some connections get lost... drift in the ebb and flow of life. Some are lost because here we have screen names and a sense of anonymity... while other platforms use our real world names creating a disconnect between them.

I have not posted here in any meaningful way in a long time... I drifted away as well.. got married, had 3 kids, moved, opened a shop... #life. But I was drawn here tonight to see who else might still be lurking around and make this thread as an invitation to check in. I was drawn to do this after learning of the loss of another one of JKO's OG's... BrentF70

I did get to meet Brent a few times through the years on the JKO runs at EJS. He lived in Colorado and was close friends with two other JKO OG's... Co4Lo and fourplyn (Jon and Troy). I was sadden with the news and was drawn here to JKO where all these friendships originated. I felt the same when a few years ago I learned of the loss of abendx whom I often sparred with but we also had a private mutual respect.

So if you're out there OG's.. check in.. where ya at!!??

RIP BrentF70

what's been goin'-on , @HITMONEY ?
It's a little different around here these days but some of us are
still around.
I hope you're doin well & good to hear from you. Fwiw, I made sure the admins knew you were active - just busy - during the platform upgrade this past year. It seems to have driven the majority of our oldest members over the edge of acceptability & they went on to greener pastures....

take it easy brother
✌🏻😉

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
Rubicajun (Allan) is another one we lost.

Its been rough here Hit. The new regime and UI of the site probably drove off almost everyone who was left hanging around to an already slow forum.

Glad to hear you are doing well!

nothing's been right here since Allan left us. I truly miss @RubiCajun

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm still stopping by every so often as well. I just checked & it seems I joined in Sep 2010. I've never been a prolific poster. Just when I have something that is relevant, usually.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
No OG but still lurking. I’ve found 99% of the time the question/topic I’m interested in learning more about has already been hashed out somewhere in the JKO threads....with half the posts being people who don’t know what they’re talking about. You gotta read and figure out who’s worth their salt

In the works of taking over our local Line-X franchise. Building our booths now, hoping to pick up some of the local boat T-top business with the ultra product. Didn’t know about the meter, that was good information. I’ll get one coming next week!

Happy 4th everyone🇺🇸

·
Registered
786 Posts
OMG dudes and any dudettes left. I just came back to see y'all. Happy 4th. I'll need to poke around a bit. I see the trailer park is dead so to speak.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts