JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are still very early in development, but we have conquered the biggest hurdle that has been holding us back. Which is creating graceful arched curves to match the JK's stock lines....in a manner that is mass producible accurately.

I have no predictions yet as to when they might be available or how much they would cost, but I wanted to share the progress and exiting (to me anyway) pics with you guys.

If you have suggestions for what you would like or not like to see on tube fenders, we welcome your input.

Check out the sexy curves!

ShrockWorks Jeep JK Tube Fender Proto's:

· Registered
814 Posts
Jim, what little the two photos show is pretty damned good. Like the line and like the tube look.

How are you attaching them to the body? I ask, because I think Tube Fenders are great, but for the JK they present a problem since the JK sheet metal is thin... what are your thoughts?

And what about the rear fenders??? :smokin:

Oh and it's nice to see you guys in the shop. Glad to know you all made it through IKE.

· Registered
167 Posts
Frankly I think those look like garbage. Why don't you just finish them up and send them to me and I will throw them away for you. My trash guys only pick up steel blue, so squirt them with it before you ship them to me.

· Registered
230 Posts
Looks good so far. Look forward to seeing these progress.

· Registered
5 Posts
How are you attaching them to the body? I ask, because I think Tube Fenders are great, but for the JK they present a problem since the JK sheet metal is thin... what are your thoughts?
I am also curious about this, I love the look of tube fenders, but a lot of people express concern with them causing more body damage than the plastic flenders.

· Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Major progress made. More pics below.

Bare steel, but otherwise looks exactly like what we have in mind for the finished product.

After working out the final mounting, I can say with certainty that strength will not be an issue. They are very stout. They are bolted to a sub-frame that's in the engine compartment behind the sheet metal.

The stock inner fender is off right now in the pics, but you will be able to be re-install it.

ShrockWorks JK Tube Fenders.

· Registered
814 Posts
Looks good. You knocked out the angle... nice work.
Like the sub-frame hook-in.
How are you going to attach the top steel sheet to the tube? Weld and grind? A flush look up top? Flush inside or room for mud to accumulate (hint, hint)...

Have to put the inserts back on to test fit?

Yes, I know you are JUST STARTING this project, but you did post the pix... :smokin:

PS: jumping ahead... for the rear fenders, I would personally like to see a rear corner protection tie-in with LEDs

· Registered
630 Posts
I like these for a few reasons. First, the tie in issue appears to be addressed. Secondly, the lines would allow me to use my existing Poly rockers. Other fenders on the arket (i.e Extreme Offroad) dont appear to have this flexability, not to mention price). I would prefer a SMOOTH (weld and grind) on the top as opposed to the rivets. For me, like many, price would be an issue. The JK items seem to have gotten out of control in pricing. Yes, i understand increase in material price etc, but come on! Good work, I am definately interested. I agree with the comment made about the rear with LEDs. keep us posted.

· Registered
45 Posts
Looks good. You knocked out the angle... nice work.
Like the sub-frame hook-in.
How are you going to attach the top steel sheet to the tube? Weld and grind? A flush look up top? Flush inside or room for mud to accumulate (hint, hint)...

Have to put the inserts back on to test fit?

Yes, I know you are JUST STARTING this project, but you did post the pix... :smokin:

PS: jumping ahead... for the rear fenders, I would personally like to see a rear corner protection tie-in with LEDs
As Jim said, the fenders are solid, I stood on it once I completed it, rocked the jeep around by the fender, no worries. There are 2 bolts running through the internal core support and the stock fender support AND tied into the 2 bolts through the pinch seam of the kick panel. The sheet metal will be tabbed and bolted to the main frame of the fender. We were worried about rust in the small seams inside if we welded the outside so we are going to powder coat both pieces so there is full coverage on the contact areas, this also helps out with the price due to not having to weld and grind a 40" seam . The sheet metal lies flush with the top of the tube.

As for the rear I think we are just tackling the fender area at the moment.

Nick

· Registered
630 Posts
perhaps you can offer a "welded seam" model for an increase in price. Of course, we could weld it ourselves, but it would be nice to pull it from the box, paint to match and install.

· Registered
814 Posts
As Jim said, the fenders are solid, I stood on it once I completed it, rocked the jeep around by the fender, no worries. There are 2 bolts running through the internal core support and the stock fender support AND tied into the 2 bolts through the pinch seam of the kick panel. The sheet metal will be tabbed and bolted to the main frame of the fender. We were worried about rust in the small seams inside if we welded the outside so we are going to powder coat both pieces so there is full coverage on the contact areas, this also helps out with the price due to not having to weld and grind a 40" seam . The sheet metal lies flush with the top of the tube.

As for the rear I think we are just tackling the fender area at the moment.

Nick
Can I just say: D A M N! :thefinger:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.