JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 JKU
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I just joined this forum. After having gained much valuable info from this and other forums, (Thank You!), I was hoping to share back a little. I compiled the beginnings of a torque value chart for my 2015 JKU. Read on below for how I got these values. But, I believe them to be accurate. I’ll update and share more as I do more work and need to research more torque values.
41088399-8770-4701-A7B1-1C53293BCA3B.jpeg

I’m doing some work that requires me to drop my rear axle. I looked at Youtube and several forums and got varying info for various torque values. I even called a dealer and a local shop. They refused to give me info “for liability reasons.” I guess they really meant I was liable to do it myself and not pay them. 😊

I called RE/ProComp/Poison Spyder. They referred me to an “Extreme Terrain“ website, which I had already found and was using. That looked great and had every imaginable value. But, when I got to the values to remount the rear calipers, it said 26 ft lbs. That seemed a little light for an 18mm bolt as well as the use. Turns out, the factory manual calls for more than twice that torque.

After a couple hours on the web, I found “servicemanualwarehouse.com”
I bought a downloadable copy of the Chrystler 2015-2017 JK factory service manual for around $17.00. Upside: Has every imaginable repair. Downside: It’s over 6000 pages and was clearly written by engineers whose first language is calculus, with English a distant second. No, really, this thing is damn near impossible to navigate. But, once you find the specific task you are looking for, the info is pretty easy to follow.

In Extreme Terrain’s defense for the incorrect Caliper value, it appears to be confusion between two similar terms used in the factory manual, a very easy mistake to make. “Rear Caliper Mounting Bolts” vs. “Rear Caliper Bracket Mounting Bolts”. Took me 30 mins to figure out - looking at pictures, nonetheles! 😬

So, I spent another 3-4 hours gathering the torque values above from the factory manual. Please don’t let this discourage anyone from buying your own $17.00 manual. I’m sure I’ll use it a lot and you would too. Here, I just wanted to save the next guy/gal from all the PDF searching I did for the values above.

All of the values in the table above were copied from the manual I referenced from either the torque specification tables or step by step instructions. But, please use your own knowledge, judgment and research. And, by all means, please let me know if you find more accurate info.

Thanks for hosting this great forum!

I hope this saves a fellow enthusiast a little time!

Scott

Disclaimers: The author of this post is by far no expert in anything! He is also rumored to consume an adult beverage from time to time. Also, I’m not sure why I included Nm values. Maybe, just in case someone explains to me what Fig Newton cookies have to do with bolts, I won’t have to go back through the manual.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks Scott ! I appreciate the post. I just printed your data and will drop it into my file, as I have no mods pending, just now.

·
Registered
2015 JKU
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry my man. Just saw your question. Probably too late. But, here’s the page with oil filter related torque values. The middle column is ft lbs. the left column is Nm. Not sure why there aren’t values for some items. Good luck
4E892F47-4FC2-468C-9146-568F22A06C07.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, Had no idea how tight to screw the cap on the oil filter. O-Rings provide good seal. A little too much torque cracks the plastic parts. Expensive part to replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts