JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Score!!! I wish this would have popped up sooner. Finding the torque specs has taken up quite some time while I've been out in the garage modding. Thanks for posting this up. :beer:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks for the link. Nice catch. :smokin:

There's a member here named wanderingtrail. I wonder if it's his site....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks. It looks he has some interesting information on that site.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was just looking for this information

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm trying to understand all the lingo he has used in his writeup on adjusting toe.

2. Loosen the adjustment sleeve clamp bolts (2).

I do not see 2 bolts for this or maybe I'm not using the correct bolt's for the adjustment.

4. Adjust the drag link adjuster sleeve so that the left and right toe values are equal. Verify the steering wheel is still straight. Position the clamps as shown and tighten to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

I do not know what this is can someone point this out. I obviously forgot this step :bawling:

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Tie rod adjustment has one bolt. Some vehicles have two so maybe he was taking the info from something old.

EDIT: wait, what are you reading, are you asking about the tie rod or draglink... Tie rod has one bolt, draglink has two. Draglink goes from Pitman arm down to passenger side knuckle and should be as close to parrelel with the Track bar as possible. Near the top is a collar with two bolts. The tie rod is parralel to the axel and connects passenger and driver side knuckles. Draglink to adjust steering wheel, Tie rod to adjust Toe.

The draglink (2nd) question, long story short, he is basically saying to adjust the draglink collar uyntill the wheels are straight and the wheel is straight. I usually just leave it on parked ground, turn the wheel until wheels are straight, loosen colar and rotate till steering wheel is straight. Not nearly as exact as what he was proabably saying but good enough to make mr ESP happy.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Great info...now, if I knew how to buy torque wrenches....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is helpful. I have a JK in the shop currently and most of the bolts were not properly torqued.

Reminder, torquing stuff is a good idea.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That is my site. It started many years ago, just because I put a lift kit in that I was unfamiliar with and checked the internet to see if there was any issues. Of course nobody brought up any issues until I called them and discovered that yes they had the same issues I had with the kit, but didn't say anything. Case of "I got a deal on the kit to write about it so won't say anything bad.". I try to call it like it is.

I think I need to revisit the alignment write up.. Though today I'll work on some Jeep knives I found at the auto store. Of course it depends on how busy I am at work. :D

If you see stuff you want me to add, let me know. Of course I like free parts at the moment. I do have a few write ups planned.

Ron

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice job, thank you.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Tie rod adjustment has one bolt. Some vehicles have two so maybe he was taking the info from something old.

EDIT: wait, what are you reading, are you asking about the tie rod or draglink... Tie rod has one bolt, draglink has two. Draglink goes from Pitman arm down to passenger side knuckle and should be as close to parrelel with the Track bar as possible. Near the top is a collar with two bolts. The tie rod is parralel to the axel and connects passenger and driver side knuckles. Draglink to adjust steering wheel, Tie rod to adjust Toe.

The draglink (2nd) question, long story short, he is basically saying to adjust the draglink collar uyntill the wheels are straight and the wheel is straight. I usually just leave it on parked ground, turn the wheel until wheels are straight, loosen colar and rotate till steering wheel is straight. Not nearly as exact as what he was proabably saying but good enough to make mr ESP happy.
WTF... thanks

I wasn't getting the lingo but you've confirmed what I thought he was trying to say. It's a great writeup it just needs a little clairification because he is covering a few adjustments in the number sequence.

If he'd like I'd take a stab at it. I'd break it into two sections. Centering the steering wheel vs. toe in alignment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts