JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just developed a problem, and I think it's coming from the tranny. I went wheeling this weekend and got the "hot oil" warning. For whatever reason, I (unknowingly) put it in 4HI for a VERY short period of time and got the warning very quickly thereafter. I stopped to let it cool, shifted down to 4LO and all was fine....until now.

I didn't notice it until last night, but I've got a loud growling noise (sounds like gear whine) coming from what I think is the transmission. I say think, because I can't convince someone to lay down under my jeep while I drive...lol. Under acceleration, even the slightest amount, I don't hear the noise. But as soon as I let off the accelerator and start to coast, the noise shows up. The higher the RPM, the louder the noise. As the tranny downshifts, the noise is lower and less pronounced, but it's still there.

I checked the tranny fluid, but the level is fine and I don't notice anything too out of the ordinary with the color. Will the fluid smell differently if burnt? Will burnt tranny fluid cause the noise? Just trying to figure out what the noise could actually be coming from, specifically.

At least I got the lifetime warranty in '09...

-WRM

·
Registered
96 Posts
Odor is a good indicator sometimes, and sometimes color too. More smell though. Does it smell burnt in anyway? When was the last time you changed it?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was able to track down the problem today, and it wasn't the transmission...it's the rear pinion nut; I was able to remove it by hand. Apparently, the original nut is staked in three places to prevent loosening. When I had it re-geared a while back (can't remember exactly when, but it's been quite a while ago), I guess they reused the original nut.

So, are you supposed to replace the pinion nut when replacing gears? Are you supposed to stake the new nut? If so, how?

Now to pick up a new socket and find out what the torque spec is...

-WRM

·
Registered
146 Posts
Put some locktite on it (red) and torque it to 160ftlbs. Then recheck the pinion bearing preload by removing the pumpkin and spinning the pinion with a beam type torque wrench. As long as the pinion is not damaged, the bearing is not damaged and you get 11-14 inch pounds of force needed to turn the pinion. everything is ok. If you torque it down to 160ftlbs and you have more than 14 inch pounds of force needed to turn it, you will have to replace the crunch sleeve behind the pinion and reset the bearing preload. This time use a new nut, locktite and you may as well put in new bearings while you are at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.