JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know anything about the RCX offroad winch mounting kit for the factory bumper?? can the factory bumper handle a 9500# winch?? any words of wisdom/knowledge would be exremely helpful/appreciated:D:D

ps got my 14" antenna in...looks great...will post pics soon

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question definitively but I would be very surprised if the plate could not handle a 9500 lb winch or higher. According to RC it is made of 1/4" steel and bolts directly to the frame, similar to an aftermarket winch bumper. I was thinking of going this route because it would save weight, but I'd also like to mount the winch between the rails (and the added clearance of another bumper would be nice), so I'm still not sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock bumper

thanx for the info but I was not looking for a stubby bumper. I do more mud and dirt than rocks and I was wanting something to protect the tires in traffic in case of accident. this is my daily driver. also as to keep down on the cost as the SRC Bumper I want is $450 so I would have to buy a less expensive/desirable winch. :bawling: if I could keep the stock bumper maybe I could spend more on the winch!!:D do you think this is a wise decision? also I would like to keep the weight down buy that would really be solved when I get my lift.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wouldnt want to rely on the stock bumper for protection infront of the tire. Its mostly plastic and a little bit of metal. In a front impact it will fold easily.

as far as weight, i had a Warn with plate and when i replaced it with the Rugged Ridge bumper my front end dropped the same amount.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gotcha! thanx for all the help and advice...I just placed an order for my new bumper yesterday. I wasn't real confident about the stock bumper set up either...now the winch! I like Mile Marker' si9500 because its cost effective and sound. I probably woudn't be using a winch enough to blow a big wad on the Warn. besides I can always buy one later if i'm not happy. Hopefully the worst that could happen is I burn up the MM.

Question: would I need to upgrade my battery from stock to run this winch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts