JKOwners Forum banner

JK Rollover Thread

45K views 214 replies 68 participants last post by  Minner 
#1 ·
I figured it would be fun to start a thread about JK rollovers. Not many seem to get wheeled hard enough, but it's always fun to watch someone destroy their brand new toy:thefinger:

If you have pics or video of someone rolling their JK post it here.

One to start it off with: :shaking:

YouTube - ‪JK Rubicon Rollover on Rocker knocker Moab‬‏

#2 ·
Worst spotter EVER! should be the title of that video. You could tell that was going to happen as soon as the video started. That was just dumb, looked like it was at the tipping point from the start not being disconnected then turn more to the left and keep coming?!?! Really?

#3 ·
Hate to say (as no disrespect intended to whoever that is) but I agree. That was horrible spotting.

JMO- I wouldn't say "fun" to watch. Well.....at least I don't like to admit it. ;)

#4 ·
Wow that gave me anxiety on how poor of a line that was. I've been on the "line" like that, but she paid no attention to that drop off, that was a "no surprise" kinda fail. Not like he was going fast/lots of wheel spin, rock moved, etc!

#6 ·
hate to argue with y'all but that is the line. she might be off by a few inches but she did keep telling him to keep the wheel hard over which is the only way you can make it up rocker knocker. there are very few rigs that can make the straight up approach. mine ain't one of them, then again mine isn't ready for any part of Pritchett Canyon. y'all need to go back and watch the JKO Pritchett Canyon run during the safari. they had a couple of rollovers at this same spot with Lance and Larry Mcraie spotting.

#7 ·
Sure looks like she was watching the wrong side of the line...Not saying the rig should have gone straight up, but obviously the tire that needed watching wasn't tend to. Unless there is something more detrimental than that drop on the passenger's side..

#8 ·
Someone did say something about the 17 second mark. I'm surprised the driver could somewhat feel being at the teeter totter point, I guess like everything else you had to be there.

Also I'm not trying to be or act like a know it all wheeler and I have no where near the wheeling experience most of you have as I'm on the gulf coast and most if not all of my wheeling has been ditches, muddy trails, beaches, and hurricane high water search and recovery, but the simple laws of common sense physics should have been obvious on this one and I can't hardly figure out algebra anymore! I feel bad for the guy, it was probably his wife and I'm sure there was a week or so a bunch of scenes from "the war of the rose's" going on at their house!

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks to Dave, redneck & Slippery for vids and explanations.

lotta pictures
I've seen most of those before and always glad everybody was okay. Ours id a dd and part time easy trail wheeler. Those are the pics that put some extra cage stiffening near the top of my mod list.

Why in the hell would it be fun to watch JK's rollover? Some peoples kids just should not be allowed in public..........
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.:beer:

#12 ·
I can see that not being a short wheel base friendly obstacle to begin with! Seems like the first JK was about a foot over to the video's left to begin with? Or no?

#17 ·
Ok- forgetting the vid, it's good to see how well the windshield frame seems to hold up- in almost every pic, it's deformed, but not in so far as to intrude into the driver's body-space. However, as a 6-footer, I do worry about the top crush-zone, which looks like it'd include my head space. Since ducking isn't a big option when you're rolling, I think a bit of extra cage would go a long way for us taller-than-average folks :-\ Mark W.

#18 ·
Mark, no offense but what pictures are you looking at? In almost every one of those above the frame collapsed, although granted it was the passenger side becaused of how they landed. That's the area of that concerns me the most. I feel ya, at 6'3" I'm a little close to the top as well.

#19 ·
In all but the last ones, the windshield and frame aren't far enough back that they're really intruding into the passenger space- or my depth perception/vision sucks! :) It looks like the windshield is still more or less over the dash, which means out of your head/chest area, unless you pitched forward.
Either way, reinforcement looks like a must in the front! I'm thinking of going a bit custom, and getting a different windshield frame support (was thinking of that BEFORE this thread, by the way :)), so it's easier to fold down the windshield, AND there's some more beef to the front area. Eff the back, as I run without a backseat anyway :) Mark W.

#22 ·
Jesus- Not "fun" in the sense that you WANT to specifically see someone roll.......but everyfuckingoneofus clicked on that video and plenty of other videos to see what we already know is going to happen.

I don't like to see peoples property destroyed, nor do I EVER want to see someone injured........but there is something that makes watching a flop or roll-over almost mesmerizing.

Maybe fun isn't the right word, but for whatever interest.....we all like to view that kind of thing.

#25 · (Edited)
Having seen how the stock roll cage is done when TnT gutted my jeep to build a real roll cage, I have no faith in a stock cage in an Endo type flop. Side flop, ok. Side roll, bad news. The b pillar in a stock jk is not structurally tough.

#139 ·
I kept the rear side bars and built off of them, tied in to the frame in front, and the fram cross member at the b-pillar. The rear wont be tied in until I get the money to do the stretch, it will tie in via the shock towers at that point.

Why are Hanson and blue balls pickining on the new dewsh?:thefinger:

#29 ·
A rollerover thread.... terrible to see these. Can be good to know what to lines or variations of lines to avoid, especially if you wheel in the exact spots as the pics or vids that may be posted. Were all still waiting for caged jk rollovers even though no one really wants to say it.

We have a crash thread on a sportbike forum I'm on. Helps with track tips and general everyday riding tips. This thread might be similar in terms of wheeling tips. But to just post a bunch of pics of rolled jeeps in one thread for no reason but to see the carnage is useless

#37 ·
Well, if nothing else, I hope this thread turns into more info on cages/ bolt in or weld in/ safety vs "I rolled my shit, I'm cool, and you don't wheel hard enough if you haven't rolled."

I personally think that even a sport cage/ bolt in would help out a bit in some of those pics. Weld in cage would be best IMO.

I don't like to see any rig roll. However, in the 3 that I have seen in person were all on Moab (on trails/ not counting racing/ crawling events), they were due to being a dipshit driver, not listening to a spotter, a spotter guiding the that newb on a line they should not have been on (and would not take advice from someone that did know). I am happy to say that not one of them was due to drinking though. ...although I have run into this a handful of times in Moab and have seen "them" fawk up their rigs. :shaking:

...all to common durring EJS time. :pissed:

#38 ·
The point of this thread was to get to see the rollovers and carnage all in one place. Laugh at it, learn from it, or cry about it, anyone is welcome to take what they want from it. Looks like the stock cage sucks big time.

No one has said, especially me, that i rolled my shit i'm cool. Just saying you don't normally roll on fire roads or in the mall parking lot where these things are the most.

#40 ·
Ive seen 5 rolls/flops since January of this year and lots the previous year (those of you who watch my vids see lots of rubber side up action).

Some type of cage is important to safety and does reduce vehicle damage. But cages aren't the most important thing in a roll/flop, WEARING YOUR SEATBELT IS!!!!!

Here locally over the last year and a half, we had several roll/flop injuries including;

* 2 deaths
* 1 debilitating back injury
* 1 lost hand/fingers
* 1 split skull
* 1 broken leg

All of these people were not wearing seatbelt.

People wearing seatbelts, regardless of cage, were fine. something to think about.

#41 ·
I rolled last year in my Jeep JK - Rock Hard cage did it's job and was strong enough to be used as the strap point to pull me back over.

Adam in Adamantium rolled on this year's JKO run in Moab, Rock Hard cage did it's job there and saved him from a trip to the hospital.

99% of the rollovers I've seen - first hand - in Jeeps are low speed once overs. Sport cages are perfect for that category of wheeling. Wear a seat belt.

#43 ·
I'm not one to watch roll over vids and laugh but I'll watch them (rolls or no rolls) to get a better idea of the lines to take on a particular trail. this helped me out a lot for both times I have been to Moab. Another thing to remember is that rolls/flops can happen on the more trails as well, where sometimes people can get too comfortable and not pay attention to their surroundings. The only rollover I've seen personally in Moab was a friends YJ on Steel bender (the wall obstacle) and that was due to a stuck hand throttle. Luckily he had a welded in cage, but still had a couple of cracked ribs and a separated shoulder as a result.

#46 ·
Very true! Watching me wheel often provides a "what not to do" visual for the people who are even slower (mentally) than I am :) And anyone who enjoys watching other people get hurt or break their expensive shinyness for entertainment is a jackass :) Mark W.

#49 ·
I figured it would be fun to start a thread about JK rollovers. Not many seem to get wheeled hard enough, but it's always fun to watch someone destroy their brand new toy:thefinger:

If you have pics or video of someone rolling their JK post it here.
Maybe you should take some time and read the trip reports instead of blowing **** bubbles and you will see that many JK's get wheeled pretty damn hard around here.

The point of this thread was to get to see the rollovers and carnage all in one place. Laugh at it, learn from it, or cry about it, anyone is welcome to take what they want from it. Looks like the stock cage sucks big time.

No one has said, especially me, that i rolled my shit i'm cool. Just saying you don't normally roll on fire roads or in the mall parking lot where these things are the most.
Your right most people dont wheel their JK's My guess is you you have alot of damage done to yours while web wheeling:shaking:

The only twat stain around here is in your avatar. :shaking:

Obviously if someone get's hurt, then that's nothing to joke about, but don't read too deep into the post.

Yeah, I get off on watching people trash their rig! You must too, or what the hell did you click into this thread for? Now quit acting like a whiney little *****, and post up some rollovers, tits, or GTFO:idea:
Actually Ill spend as much time as needed to prevent as much damage to a persons rig as I can. I have wheeled with people like you that love to see people roll, flop, break etc...... But when the same shit happens to you its not as funny anymore.

Oh and before i forget you wanted to see some tits so here you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.