JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered or used one of the package shelves for a 4-door JK on a 2-door model (without the rear seat)? I would like to know if these will fit behind the front seats and go to the tailgate. I would like to have 2-level storage for my long distance wheeling trips. I thought about using a small roof rack and welding mounts into the Jeep but I have noticed that several companies list a rear tray or shelf for use in 4-door models. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have an aluminium shelf that covers 2/3's of the area and love it. It is big enough for me for coolers and other stuff. It allows room for larger items like suit cases to be standing up right which are taller than the shelf. I have a cargo net the keeps things on the shelf as well.

I remove the shelf easily with four hand nuts but as soon as I am done I put that shelf back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Asphalt Assault,
Did you fabricate the shelf or purchase it? You mentioned 4-bolt removal; is that mounted to the roll bar or to the body?
Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check out Jeep Speed Shop they have one in the works.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I made my own. It's a bit hard to see in this picture but it's the best I could find immediately accessible.

I used 3 pieces of right-angle aluminum cut to size and drilled to mount in the factory hardtop mounting holes. Then I mounted a 3/4" piece of plywood cut to shape, stained black with outdoor deck stain and covered in marine grade carpet. The plywood is mounted to the aluminum cross bars using ss bolts and eyelet bolts on the ends. The eyelets are great for strapping things down but are far enough to the edges to not be in the way of placing items on the shelf. I've put at least 200 lbs on it with no problem.

Save yourself some money and do it yourself. Took a weekend b/c of drying time for stain/glue. Use a big piece of cardboard to cut the shape and trace to the plywood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts