JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides turbos and superchargers, is there a way to increase power and torque in the 3.8L 2010 Wrangler that will actually work??

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
an engineering company are putting the Viper throttle body with some slight adjustments done..and getting 45hp..

There is another company doing something similar with just a larger throttle body..

·
Registered
649 Posts
Besides turbos and superchargers, is there a way to increase power and torque in the 3.8L 2010 Wrangler that will actually work??
I've actually decided that I'm gonna wait to do my engine mods until I get the 6.1 SRT8. If that doesn't give me more of what you're talkin bout then I'll think about a turbo. In others no not really. :thefinger:

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
an engineering company are putting the Viper throttle body with some slight adjustments done..and getting 45hp..

There is another company doing something similar with just a larger throttle body..
This maybe...but it's all really new (as far as I've read or heard) and I haven't seen anybody post real numbers yet. There is a feeling by some the JK is choked at the TB and it may yield actual results. Probably not the kind of power you're hoping for though.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts

I was reading about this on the other forum. The guy who said that its possible put up a part number but it was actually for the late model 4.7 found in Durangos. I believe it is a 70mm throttle body. The part number for the viper is just one letter off so I guess they are almost identical. My friend has a 07 Durango so I might try to get his throttle body to try out before shelling out cash to buy my own.

There was another company that machines out the JK throttle from 62mm to 67 I think and Jack from Avenger was supposed to get some to dyno (hopefully on my JK) but havent heard anything about that for a while.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I dont know of any turbo kit on the market for a JK so unless you want to do some heavy R&D on your own dime, this isnt even an option.

You can always drop in a hemi or sometime next year Jeep Speed Shop should have an LSxx swap for the JK.

There are other options (cat back exhaust, cold air, reprogram)that will give you significantly smaller gains.

Personnally, best bang for the buck is the Avenger Super Charger. I got one on mine and cant imagine driving a JK without one again.

What type of gains are you looking for? Budget?

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Gears, pure and simple. Though it isnt technicaly adding any power it gives you more access to the available power.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You can always drop in a hemi or sometime next year Jeep Speed Shop should have an LSxx swap for the JK.
I'm interested to see what they can do with the LS platform. The ls7 makes a lot of power yet it still gets like 25+ mpg. The only problem is the conversion wont be street legal.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I'm interested to see what they can do with the LS platform. The ls7 makes a lot of power yet it still gets like 25+ mpg. The only problem is the conversion wont be street legal.
only problem? A brand new LS7 runs roughly 14K. Finding a used one isnt going to be cheap either. You are getting 25+ mpg in a lightweight aerodynamic sports car. You will not get that in a JK. Dont forget the LS7 is 7.0 liters which is quite a bit bigger than the 6.1 Hemi. A friend of mine has a Z06 with an LS7 in it so I know exactly what that engine can do and its awesome but unless you are doing a BIG bucks build, an LS7 in a JK is on a whole other playing field. One can always dream...:bawling:

·
Registered
828 Posts
only problem? A brand new LS7 runs roughly 14K. Finding a used one isnt going to be cheap either. You are getting 25+ mpg in a lightweight aerodynamic sports car. You will not get that in a JK. Dont forget the LS7 is 7.0 liters which is quite a bit bigger than the 6.1 Hemi. A friend of mine has a Z06 with an LS7 in it so I know exactly what that engine can do and its awesome but unless you are doing a BIG bucks build, an LS7 in a JK is on a whole other playing field. One can always dream...:bawling:
Well of course there are other problems. A 7.0L hemi runs about $17k... I rather have a LS7 for 14K. Its comparing apples to oranges though. I think a 454 LSX would be better fit... Talk about raw power! :D I think plenty of people will do the swap once they work out all of the tuning. A lot more people are doing the 7.0l hemi swaps and just imagine how much money they are forking over.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Well of course there are other problems. A 7.0L hemi runs about $17k... I rather have a LS7 for 14K. Its comparing apples to oranges though. I think a 454 LSX would be better fit... Talk about raw power! :D I think plenty of people will do the swap once they work out all of the tuning. A lot more people are doing the 7.0l hemi swaps and just imagine how much money they are forking over.
7.0 Hemi run about the same as an LS7 if you shop around (http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPE70ENGINESRT8.asp). Also correct me if I am wrong but the LSX block is iron while the LS7 block is aluminum so if I had the money, sleeved LS7 all the way.

Also "a lot more people doing the 7.0l hemi swaps"? Sorry, but that is still a VERY small crowd. Not to be mean but I think your getting caught up in the SEMA, EJS hyped up vehicles.

·
Registered
828 Posts
7.0 Hemi run about the same as an LS7 if you shop around (http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPE70ENGINESRT8.asp). Also correct me if I am wrong but the LSX block is iron while the LS7 block is aluminum so if I had the money, sleeved LS7 all the way.

Also "a lot more people doing the 7.0l hemi swaps"? Sorry, but that is still a VERY small crowd. Not to be mean but I think your getting caught up in the SEMA, EJS hyped up vehicles.

I think the price show is without the core which is usually another 3k. You are correct it is iron. The aluminum LS7 revs to 7k which isnt very useful for the JK and its also built for the light weight chassis of the z06. Thats why I mentioned the 454 which offers 500tq almost immediately and all the way to 6k rpms.

How do you know how many 7.0l's are running around? There are plenty of people that do swaps that never post about them on forums or shows. There is a shop over in UAE that only does 7.0l swaps because they dont feel the 6.1 has enough power. Burnsville has done a couple now. I have read on various non jk related forums of hemi shops building 6.4s,7.0ls and even a 7.2l though i think it was shipped to australia.

Just comes down to $$$$

1 - 20 of 26 Posts