JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after installing the winch I noticed after hard driving at high speeds the jeep tends to over heat. Nothing crazy and goes right back down once theres less stress, anyone experience this and know of anyway to fix it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's the winch... how do you know its overheating? Just by looking at the gauge or do you have a digital read out?
gauge but I do have a digital read out if needed.
it only has done that since I got the winch.
IT also happens exactly the same way on my boss' TJ.

My theory is due to the winch bag its not getting as much air flow.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So after installing the winch I noticed after hard driving at high speeds the jeep tends to over heat. Nothing crazy and goes right back down once theres less stress, anyone experience this and know of anyway to fix it?
I agree it's unlikely it's the winch. High speed? 100mph for a half hour? Hard driving? Like rock crawling in 100F? Redlining the temp guage?

What year? Engine? Cooling system modifications? Poor maintenance? Fan engaging? Coolant level? Water pump? Clogged up radiator? Leaks?

We posted at the same time. Lose the winch bag. Your winch will be fine without it. Oh yeah.. Get rid of that plastic garbage air thing on the bottom too if you already haven't.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree it's unlikely it's the winch. High speed? 100mph for a half hour? Hard driving? Like rock crawling in 100F? Redlining the temp guage?

What year? Engine? Cooling system modifications? Poor maintenance? Fan engaging? Coolant level? Water pump? Clogged up radiator? Leaks?

We posted at the same time. Lose the winch bag. Your winch will be fine without it.
High speeds in that jeep to me is 60+lol but I never go over 80 in it usually never over 70 either.

highway 20 minutes, idle 5 minutes after getting gas, highway for another 20 minutes, up hill 2nd gear 4kish rpms for a few minutes.

I'd like to keep the bag to keep the winch in good shape but I'll try to see how it does without it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My TJ overheated a couple times with a warn x8000i winch - it deflects airflow from the radiator a little bit... maybe more so with a cover on it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Didn't @rpmextreme do some testing where they found some winches not set low into bumper did deflect significant air movement away from the radiator?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Im guessing you were on the cusp and the winch put you over. I would check to make sure the cooling system is functioning optimally. Maybe might be time to do a flush...After that what tires and gears are you running? Just wondering if you are loading the engine up real bad.

And lastly you can just address the winch if you know that caused it. Look into sinking it down to allow for greater air flow.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The pushing over the edge comment is probably spot on. An efficient cooling system running in excellent condition will conquer any winch mount that I'm aware of. Your overheat condition seems to be stemming from while the jeep is in motion, as opposed to standing still.
I'm willing to guess your severe gearing issue is likely the culprit. Heat soak doesn't help you in between runs. If you start from cold does it eventually overheat? If you hop in and rev the engine or hold it at 2500rpms while stationary does it overheat?

I bet you it doesn't >:)

You need 4.56 or so OR smaller tires asap

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pushing over the edge comment is probably spot on. An efficient cooling system running in excellent condition will conquer any winch mount that I'm aware of. Your overheat condition seems to be stemming from while the jeep is in motion, as opposed to standing still.
I'm willing to guess your severe gearing issue is likely the culprit. Heat soak doesn't help you in between runs. If you start from cold does it eventually overheat? If you hop in and rev the engine or hold it at 2500rpms while stationary does it overheat?

I bet you it doesn't >:)

You need 4.56 or so OR smaller tires asap
It started only when I put the winch on, its been colder since and its still over heating.
It won't do it while idle but I don't leave the jeep idling long normally.
I'll try to have it stationary and bring the revs up like that to see what it will do.
I took the same route today but it was cooler and I noticed no issues.

And yes I need a regear badly but its hard to justify $1,500 for it especially when I'll need new tires next year either way. I might go back to stock size tires actually.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If your not overheating while stationary, or under mild load when stationary, regardless of how long you idle it in park, the cooling system is working effectively.

The variables (warmer some days than others) are simply due to terrain, ambient temp, AC use, etc, etc, etc. As far as justification goes, that's personal. I'll save the soapbox speech, as it appears you know what's going on now and have some choices to make.

I'm glad we were able to narrow down your issue, and wish you the best of luck with your JK. Keep us updated on your progress >:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your not overheating while stationary, or under mild load when stationary, regardless of how long you idle it in park, the cooling system is working effectively.

The variables (warmer some days than others) are simply due to terrain, ambient temp, AC use, etc, etc, etc. As far as justification goes, that's personal. I'll save the soapbox speech, as it appears you know what's going on now and have some choices to make.

I'm glad we were able to narrow down your issue, and wish you the best of luck with your JK. Keep us updated on your progress >:)
$1,500 for regears and another $1,200 or so for 5 tires is a bit much to spend when I rarely get to do any offroading worthy of the 35's. But I do have the money and I'm up in the air so if you want to justify it for me I welcome it lol.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lol.. Since your the OP, I can get away with a thread hijack concerning justified expenses.. Lol. God, I've framed so many under the safety first mantra, the wife just rolls her eyes. I've been racking my brain over flares right now.

Kidding aside, I've done everything my driving skills allow on 33s. Guys on here will passionately defend everything up to 42s and I think that's great. I love seeing them drive right over everything. I've seen some even get to aggressive on R&P upgrades and hate its road manners.

Jeeps can lose their appeal if they soak everything out of you all day. Sometimes taking the top off and getting out in the sticks is your best policy. >:)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Its the winch causing the overheat. I bet it gets warm only while cruising 35MPH or higher. Its deflecting a lot of airflow. We removed a winch last week that was blocking airflow to the radiator. While cruising I saw 230 temps until the fan kicked on high. After removing it stayed below 212 and the fan does not need to run while cruising.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just can't see it. I live in areas in excess of 110F AND have a top of the bumper mounted 11.5k winch. I've wheeled in dry, dusty, nasty conditions with AC even on.. Cool as a cucumber.
We have the same jeep basically. The winch may have aggravated his preexisting condition. The underlying issue is the gearing or a malfunctioning cooling system.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I would remove the winch and take it for a test drive. If it remains cool then you know the winch is blocking to much airflow.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just can't see it. I live in areas in excess of 110F AND have a top of the bumper mounted 11.5k winch. I've wheeled in dry, dusty, nasty conditions with AC even on.. Cool as a cucumber.
We have the same jeep basically. The winch may have aggravated his preexisting condition. The underlying issue is the gearing or a malfunctioning cooling system.
Do you do a lot of higher speed driving during those days though? I've never seen my temp gauge move beyond mid point. It usually rests a hair below it before the winch.

I would remove the winch and take it for a test drive. If it remains cool then you know the winch is blocking to much airflow.
I'll probably have to do that but its a PITA to remove it and I was looking to avoid that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts