JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've never installed anything in any jeep that didn't come with issues, except for a cb, and this was no different.

OME sent two rear track bar brackets, and it turns out i'm kind of glad they did. drag link and track bar are parallel, jeep tracks straight, no ESP. bump steer, or dreaded DW. and i had to cannibalize washers from the second kit to get the rear bracket to fit nice and tight. didn't need spring compressors, but i was on a two post lift with the sway bar un-bolted. had to use a pry bar to get the second spring in, both front and rear.

OME's springs for the JK are the same length, unlike the TJ's. we'll see how this works out.

clears my yokohama geolander 315/75OR16's, but i'm putting in MORE's BL tomorrow for a little off-road clearance. wheels are KMC XD 842, 16x8.

yes, i know i have the stock rubi spare. redrock rear end is en route, and then i'll hang my matching spare. and yes, i'm retarded and got a directional spare. but all it has to do is get me off the trail until i can get a new tire, right?

FWIW, 35's on 4.10 is nearly unacceptable, i don't care what anyone says. but as i only have one set of 5.13 for the next month, my jeep is going to continue to have trouble getting out of her own way.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Nice set up sailor....I use the OME shocks with no springs...I run 285 x 70 17 BFG KM2's on stock Rubi wheels, and have no rub issues...tell me, are the rear track bar brackets really necessary, and I was not aware that OME actually made them? I'm thinking about adding the springs 'cause I want to haul a small offroad camper, and thought the HD springs would help in the towing department.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know, i'm not sure if it's necessary or not. looking at it from the front, the rear axle still looks a little off center, looking at it from the rear, it doesn't. but i am a heavy drinker.

at any rate, with a couple extra washers, the rear bracket went on real easy. throw the springs on, and if you have a real bad axle shift, put on the bracket.

i really do like this kit, and think it's a great base for my build.

·
Registered
306 Posts
that Jeep is sexy. how does the ome ride compared to stock? is it softer/more firm? where did you get the mirror mounts?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Thanks PoorBoy...I'm scheduled for the spring install Monday...will be using the HD springs...I'm sure the ride will be stiffer, but it'll be fine when I tow my camper, I'm sure.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great looking Jeep!

Regarding the ride - I just got my OME lift installed today on my JK Unlimited (HD springs OME619 up front and Medium Duty springs OME 618 in the rear) - this is probably the most popular OME install (the OME620s are also available for the rear - but they are rated for 600 additional pounds of constant load vs. 300 pounds for the 618s). Most vendors advertising a HD OME kit mean the 619s up front and 618s in the rear.

I have a bunch of aftermarket skids and sliders installed but no bumpers (yet) and find that the OME rides just slightly softer than stock (my point of comparison is the stock Rubi suspension on an Unlimited). So, I wouldn't worry about ride quality with the OME lift.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
that Jeep is sexy. how does the ome ride compared to stock? is it softer/more firm? where did you get the mirror mounts?
it's softer than the stock rubi, but not squishy like a luxury sedan or anything. it's still a jeep, just more kidney-friendly.

and the mirror mounts are rugged ridge. they are mostly crap. if you can live without them, then pass them by. i had to grind the hell out of the mirror post to get it to fit, and i'm not getting the disks on the doors that are meant to fill the hole if you pull the stock mounts off without rethreading them.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Best 2-3.5" lift money can buy...the Aussies know a thing or two about off roading....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I am really thinking of running them. how much lift are you guys getting out of it?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I am really thinking of running them. how much lift are you guys getting out of it?
I've read some reports of upwards of 3"+...I never really measured, and it doesn't really look like it's jacked up, so I'll say about 2" would be about right...that's what OME states.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was thinking about swapping my 2" superlift spacer lift for this, but seems pointless if I will have the same lift and only a little better ride?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I got my OME lift installed a few weeks ago. I've been tracking my height with a fair amount of detail following each mod. Below is a summary:

My first mod was installing Shrockworks Sliders - lost about .375" all around after the install of the sliders. My second mod was installing the Rock Hard engine skid - lost almost .2" up front after the install of the engine skid. Latest mod is the OME lift, the Rock Hard gas tank skid, and the Kilby evap canister relocation. I'm guessing the Rock Hard gas tank skid resulted in about a .25" height reduction all around. I installed the HD OME springs up front (OME619) and the medium duty springs in the rear (OME618) (probably the most popular OME install) with OME supplied half inch spacers for the front and gained about 3.5" up front and 2.5" in the rear.

This is with all the skids installed, which I have calculated to be about 3/4" drag on the stock suspension. So, I would guess that if you install the same OME springs with no other mods, you'll be looking at about 4" up front (3.5" with no spacers) and 3" in the rear. However, if you're not installing any mods (and want closer to 2") go with the light duty springs and I bet you'll get closer to 2".

I am still planning to install front and rear bumpers and a winch. I'm guessing that after I install the bumpers I'll be looking about 3" of lift up front (2.5 if I decide to remove the spacers) and 2" in the rear. And if I install anything else (would like to upgrade the roll cage eventually), it might even go lower than that. Some people have also reported a slight settling of the lift after time, so that might result in even less lift. So, bottom line, if you use your HD OME lift like it was supposed to be used (with other mods that add weight), you should not gain much more than the advertised 2.5" of lift. Remember the front HD springs are meant for 180lbs of additional constant load up front and the rear Medium-Duty springs are meant for 300lbs of additional constant load in the rear. If you have less weight added than that, you're going to get more lift.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got my OME lift installed a few weeks ago. I've been tracking my height with a fair amount of detail following each mod. Below is a summary:

My first mod was installing Shrockworks Sliders - lost about .375" all around after the install of the sliders. My second mod was installing the Rock Hard engine skid - lost almost .2" up front after the install of the engine skid. Latest mod is the OME lift, the Rock Hard gas tank skid, and the Kilby evap canister relocation. I'm guessing the Rock Hard gas tank skid resulted in about a .25" height reduction all around. I installed the HD OME springs up front (OME619) and the medium duty springs in the rear (OME618) (probably the most popular OME install) with OME supplied half inch spacers for the front and gained about 3.5" up front and 2.5" in the rear.

This is with all the skids installed, which I have calculated to be about 3/4" drag on the stock suspension. So, I would guess that if you install the same OME springs with no other mods, you'll be looking at about 4" up front (3.5" with no spacers) and 3" in the rear. However, if you're not installing any mods (and want closer to 2") go with the light duty springs and I bet you'll get closer to 2".

I am still planning to install front and rear bumpers and a winch. I'm guessing that after I install the bumpers I'll be looking about 3" of lift up front (2.5 if I decide to remove the spacers) and 2" in the rear. And if I install anything else (would like to upgrade the roll cage eventually), it might even go lower than that. Some people have also reported a slight settling of the lift after time, so that might result in even less lift. So, bottom line, if you use your HD OME lift like it was supposed to be used (with other mods that add weight), you should not gain much more than the advertised 2.5" of lift. Remember the front HD springs are meant for 180lbs of additional constant load up front and the rear Medium-Duty springs are meant for 300lbs of additional constant load in the rear. If you have less weight added than that, you're going to get more lift.
Thanks cab. What do you think of the ride quality? softer than stock? I really want a soft ride, but I may be towing a camper later. I dunno. Are the OME progressive rate like poly perf. is? I like the idea of prog rate.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks cab. What do you think of the ride quality? softer than stock? I really want a soft ride, but I may be towing a camper later. I dunno. Are the OME progressive rate like poly perf. is? I like the idea of prog rate.
I would say the ride quality is slightly softer than stock. I'm not sure that the OME shocks are progressive rate - someone else might know for sure, but they have a stock feel to them if that makes any sense. I would think they would be OK for towing, but if you'll be doing a lot of towing you might want to get their super HD rear coils (620s) but I've heard they ride a little more harshly. If soft ride is important go with the 618s - I'm sure they will work fine for occasional towing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you call old man emu they will send you a new track bar drop bracket that has been designed corectly my jeep has medium front and rear springs lifted me 4 in front and 3 in rear . old man emu is also sending me softer springs to work on my height issue other than that i still need to add a winch and rear bumper with can holders . my computer did go off but just needed to be reset i Guess the proper way is to disconnect the battery when your lifting your jeep and hook it back up when your done .good luck everyone

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The OME kit rides nice. If I were you I'd get rid of those crap brackets and put in a couple of adjustable trackbars instead. The front on mine works out close to stock, only a little adjustment was needed. The rear however was over 3/4" out. The trackbars are definitely more $$$, but are paid for the first time you're not trying to drive home with a broken POS bracket.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
The OME kit rides nice. If I were you I'd get rid of those crap brackets and put in a couple of adjustable trackbars instead. The front on mine works out close to stock, only a little adjustment was needed. The rear however was over 3/4" out. The trackbars are definitely more $$$, but are paid for the first time you're not trying to drive home with a broken POS bracket.
X3...adjustable is the way to go:beer:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that's part of my build. adj. track bars, then adj. arms, then i save money to do JKS ACOS pro, DS's and 37's all at the same time

·
Registered
125 Posts
I recently installed the OME H.D. lift on my 09 Rubi Unltd. I have a lot of weight front and rear but I have shaved some weight as well. My stock springs had collapsed so badly the front bumps were touching and rear had very little clearance.
I didn't measure to compare,but I did not get as much lift as I had hoped. I used the 1/2" spacers in front. And the (slightly under) 2" rear bump stop ext. I have Bushwacker fenders so plenty of room but only 3" of travel before rear bump stops hit. More in front but have not measured. I used a Poly performance Fr.Adj. T.B. which I set at 1/4" longer than stock bar. My T.B. and drag link are parallel,fact. rear t.b.-rear Track Bar is not at much angle at all,rear Poly Perf. T.B. brace on frame end,have a Poly P. rear T.B. Bracket but it relocates and my T.B. would be near horizontal if I use it,and a few other unimportant items. I was waiting for my pol.perf. fr. Lower Adj. Control Arms but it drove fine,no problems. I drove with same load on back roads and highways and w/o load same places and some dirt track with creek crossings. Ride was GREAT and after centering steering wheel and resetting computer no problems at all.
I received my C.A.'s and installed them. All recommendations I see and the instructions said adjust to 23 1/4" for 3-4.5" lift, my factory arms were 22 5/8",I was looking at 2+ inches of lift,so I went with 23" c-eye to c-eye. I test drove it,no problem. I drove it last night with slight load,and in a turn hit a minor bump or pot hole and got major D.W. I am thinking I need to shorten front lower arms,close to or at stock length. I live not far from Poly Perf. and a guy from there met me in town with some of my back ordered parts. He verified that my lift was an inch or so lower than "norm". I have 1/4" thick bumpers and winch with rear tire/can carrier,hi-Lift,Pull Pal,tools/necessities etc... I am thinking of adding spacers. Maybe changing 1/2" front to 3/4" in front and 1" in rear. Or 1" in front and 1 3/4" rear. If you haul camping gear,trailer etc.,you need a bit more rear height.

·
Registered
99 Posts
OME

The Aussie's design their lifts around touring, what you guys call expedition or overland. The lifts are generally around the 2" mark, legal reasons but also a good size for touring, and are designed for the weight you wish to carry, roof racks, dual batteries, car fridge, rear cargo draws, bull bars, camper trailers etc, hence why OME and other Ozzy vendors have light, medium and heavy duty, not 2"3" and 4" coils. And they are designed generally to take the punishment of really rough rds, severe corogations etc, so they are generally pretty well made. Some of our trips extend for weeks at a time, Cape York, The Simpson and many more where we are away for 4 to 6 weeks, the whole time in remote areas, fully loaded and self sufficient, driving shocking rds, so the gear needs to be reliable.
Are many of you guys running the new OME Sport shocks?
Spinner

Best 2-3.5" lift money can buy...the Aussies know a thing or two about off roading....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts