JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off im new in here and would like to say hello......and for my question. i just bought my new jk and would like to get an intake system for it. which systems seem to be the best for the jk's?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have an intake sytem? i have had one on all my other vehicles ive had in the past with noticable difference. plus all the dyno reslults proove different.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
My personal opinion is the AEM dry flow. I have used K&N's and other oil type air filters many times (with other vehicles) but I have had problems arise from the oil on the filter.

Also, from what I have seen, the filters that use oil have larger holes in the mesh, they rely on the oil to "catch" particals. You can see it just by holding the filter up to a light. On my Evo I did lots of testing, of course, that was a turbo vehicle though. But regardless, I had the same flow rates with the AEM as I did with K&N type filters but the AEM seem to be MUCH thicker and much better filtering capability.

SO personnaly, I will only use the AEM dry flow filters from here on out and would never use a oiled filter again.

now, do they really do anything? yes. Is it enough to justify a few hundred performance wise? probably not. There are other upgrades for that price that will net you much more return. You will only really be able to realise gains from the filter if you are set up in a way to really tune for it (filter leans out a bit so you can tune a little leaner increasing HP and MPG which is really the main source of gains)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i've personally never had issues with my oiled filters. thats including alot off road miles, lots of trips to pismo sand dunes. i use a pre filter aswell, plus that technology has been around forever. i have some family friends that race in the best in the desert racing series - protruck #1220 and trophy truck #42 the pro truck uses aem dryflow not by choice (pro truck sponsor contract) and hates it. they cant stand up to the extreme dirty conditions. the trophy truck uses an oiled filter from s&b filters and a pre filter and loves it.....just did the terribles town 250 and the filter still looked fairly clean. plus this is still a top choice for high end engine builders. so.........i opt for oiled anyday.

·
Registered
774 Posts
do you have an intake sytem? i have had one on all my other vehicles ive had in the past with noticable difference. plus all the dyno reslults proove different.
Your gain is in the 4000-5000 rpm range. In that range your gain is less than 10 hp, Can you tell the difference in 10 hp. Do you drive in those ranges??? Probably not, so they are a waste of money. Manufacturers can make any dyno results they want. Don't believe them.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Have you LOOKED at dyno charts? The gains posted for anything, intakes, exhaust, chips, ect are all in the 4500 rpms and up range. How much time do you spend above 4500 rpms?

O and seat of the pants dyno's don’t count. They tend to be altered by the placebo affect.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Have you LOOKED at dyno charts? The gains posted for anything, intakes, exhaust, chips, ect are all in the 4500 rpms and up range. How much time do you spend above 4500 rpms?

O and seat of the pants dyno's don’t count. They tend to be altered by the placebo affect.

nuff said :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
When I installed my Airaid intake and took it for a test drive, the most noticable improvement was with the throttle response off the line. I think some people confuse that with having more power. That's about it. I don't pay attention to gas mileage, so I have no idea if it makes a difference there.

Oh...and they "make lots of neato noise".

·
Registered
401 Posts
:beer::laughing::beer::laughing::beer::laughing:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I totally believe these guys and will never put a dry filter on any car. A good oiled filter and prefilter is the way to go. I made mine custom but the AEM one is good. S&B Filters are good because they come with another box and are cheaper than most. Plus they usually catch the most dirt. I'm trying to sell them in my store here. Hope this helps.

this is why dry flow filters suck........ check out this site www.thetruthaboutfilters.com. nuff said

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm very impressed with the design and quality on our AirRaid. I looked at the AFE before it, and its a series of tubes and clamps and just kinda cheap lookin.

The AirRaid is a nice modular design, quality product.

Honestly though, if you want to notice much difference, you gotta do an intake, exhaust, and chip like a unichip. Otherwise you're just peein in the wind.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm very impressed with the design and quality on our AirRaid. I looked at the AFE before it, and its a series of tubes and clamps and just kinda cheap lookin.

The AirRaid is a nice modular design, quality product.

Honestly though, if you want to notice much difference, you gotta do an intake, exhaust, and chip like a unichip. Otherwise you're just peein in the wind.
x2, you have to make other improvements in the chain. Engines are just big air pumps, doesn't do much good to just open up the inlet without at least opening up the outlet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts