JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this post: Steinjager Chrome Moly Hood Latch

@Heyload18 recommended replacing the hood-to-fender bumpers and included pics of them. This caused me to go down quite a rabbit hole.

Using the pics as a guide I went to look for them on my 2015 and found that they were not only missing, it looked like they'd never been there, which was confusing since a lot of places including Quadratec sell them listed for 2007-2018 vehicles:
Mopar 55276578AA Hood to Fender Bumper for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK

Then I went to the Mopar site and it said that part didn't fit my Jeep, and the bumper wasn't in the parts picture or list. Tried 2010 for the heck of it and it still didn't show. For a 2007 though, it shows in the picture and parts list.

So I took another look at my 2015 and with the hood almost closed it looks as though there'd be no point in the bumper because there's nothing for it to rest on! It looks like it would come down in the concave middle of the fender bracket. I'm wondering if that bracket was redesigned around 2008 and they stopped using the now-worthless bumper. This means that the whole weight of the hood is supported only by the 1/8" thick "isolators" that are part of the hood catch.

I think I'm going to order a pair of the bumpers just in case I'm wrong about where they hit.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
What problem are you trying to solve, exactly?
Your 2015 doesn't have them because you don't need them. The front of the hood is supported by the hood "catch" bracket thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just old, fussy, and paranoid, and supporting the whole weight of the hood with a couple little thin pieces of rubber seems iffy. Especially since I have a bad feeling that the bumpers were deleted after they realized a fender design change left the bumpers with nothing to hit. (I fell down this rabbit hole while thinking about how the various different aftermarket latches work, what stresses they apply/suffer, etc.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts