JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to mount two additional gauges just above the factory instrument cluster. See the red circles drawn on the photo attached for my idea.

Autometer has made some really cool gauge pods for other vehicles before, including the TJ, my past Superduty & past Mustang as well. They don't make anything like this for our JK's.

I think I can take a plastic gauge pod, cut it, and graft it into the OEM cluster cover, maybe with some fiberglass work to make it look good. It may take a couple attempts to get it to look good enough to be right in front of your face when you drive. :D

I searched the forum, but didn't find anyone who's done this before. Has anyone tried? Where are you mounting your extra gauges?

I'd love to see photos of what you've done, and get opinions on this sort of plastic grafting project.:bounce:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
i know i have seen someone graft gauges right where your talking about. but my search is coming up empty

·
Registered
11,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That second link is definitely the gauges I like. But the 'bolt to the top of the dash' method doesn't trip my trigger. I'd prefer to do a little fiberglass work & graft them in some.

I know who to call for advice - a local car stereo guy who does custom glass work all the time. I've used him before to ensure the resulting cosmetics are worth staring at. Stay tuned for more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm looking to do the same. Check out, http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/

They have some universal pods, and are much cheaper than the Auto Meter products. They're metal and come in flat black I believe. They also sell many of the adapters you'll need for oil/water/trans gauge installs.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found Glowshift on eBay - their pods look plastic (great for bonding to the dash) - Autometer's pods are metal.

Mattymat04, thats' close to what I'm thinking. What did you use to bond the cups to the dash with? What did you use for filler?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I travel during the week so I could get you the names Friday. Its 3m crap it's close to the properties of plastic so cracking is a min or not at all. Its two products. One for raw the other for finish. Then prime and paint.
It's expensive though if u want u can use jb weld and some abs.
So far all I've used is a dash piece off an 08 off eBay and gauge pods off a 350z

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's cool - close, but not quite.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks really great. Did everything you need to get it to this stage come in that kit?

·
Registered
142 Posts
except for clay and tools yep. There is nothing special in those boxes just two tubes its like two part epoxy. You feel like a baker oh and some popsicle sticks are in the box. Get some gloves use your fingers. the white box is alot harder. You get the basic shape with that get it as close as you can. then use the other stuff for finishing. Even though its close there still alot to do to get it done. But at least im to this stage its starting to look good

btw I used 2 of the whites and i think i can get away with one of the other. I bought three of each didnt know how much id need. I think i mentioned before jb weld is alot like the autominx except takes alot longer to dry. The stuff in the pic is ready to be sanded in 15 min unlike 2 hrs

·
Registered
430 Posts
wow that turned out great

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Looks great, wish someone would just make a replacement surround similar to this, doesn't seem like it'd be a difficult item for a good injection mold company.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts