JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the pics of a stock Rubicon Housing and the modifications necessary to properly sleeve the front axle. We drill a series of holes through out the tube that we will weld the outer tube to the inner tube. We weld the full radius of the tube at the inner c and we fully weld the cast housing to the stock tube. We also weld on inner c gussets that will be in later pictures. This modification doubles the wall thickness of the factory axle housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The axle is modified with no locker or gears and careful attention is taken to clean out the metal shavings before the tubes are pressed in the housing and welded. The tube presses into the housing and ends up about .5" away from the inner axle shaft seal so you have room to get a seal removal tool in the housing and get the seal out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to work on an introductory price on the sleeve kit and inner c gusset and will post it this afternoon. As far as pressing the sleeve into the housing-it's pretty easy. We have found that each axle sometimes requires a little different overall diameter tube. We machine them to our most commonly used o.d. They will go in with a large hammer no problem. I think that alot of the strenght and rigidity is gained when the inner sleeve is welded to the outer axle tube. I will be posting finished pics of the axle later today.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.