JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my hood fluttered so hard in the wind that one of the windshield stops on the hood tore in half. A day later one of the silver steering wheel pieces looked loose. I touched it and it feel off. Results??? They are ordering a brand new steering wheel..:shaking:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
HIGHLY suggest getting the daystar hood wranglers. My hood doesnt budge anymore.
Or you can try hitting up your dealer for the 09' recall kit. Ive read it costs about $9 for the kit if your jeep isnt on the recall list.
I just installed the daystar kit (got it for free) and that is great, as well.
Ill search for the 09' part number and add it if I find it.

part # CBBOH380, $9-$10, from the local dealer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Or you can try hitting up your dealer for the 09' recall kit. Ive read it costs about $9 for the kit if your jeep isnt on the recall list.
I just installed the daystar kit (got it for free) and that is great, as well.
Ill search for the 09' part number and add it if I find it.

part # CBBOH380, $9-$10, from the local dealer.

Hope this helps.
My 09 had the "new improved" straps and still fluttered very bad. I installed the Daystars. Don't waste the money on factory straps.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The hood of my 2009 is decidedly more secure than that of my 2008.

Just got back from a 800-mile round trip doing 70-80 mph through strong wind sections, and the hood was noticeably flutter-free.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
My 09 had the "new improved" straps and still fluttered very bad. I installed the Daystars. Don't waste the money on factory straps.
After reading the above^ Ill have to retract my previous post and say go w/ the daystars. I just had heard alot of good things about the 09' "fix" and thought it worth mentioning. Like I said, Im very happy w/ the Daystars but figured if a cheaper solution was available id let you know. :beer:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would have the dealership fix the hood issue. No matter what you may of heard - it's not normal nor should it be acceptable with a stock suspension.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked the dealership today about the hood bounce. I asked if there was anything he could do and the answer, of course, no. I asked about aftermarket hood latches as preventative maintenance so it is not breaking stuff again and told me that there was nothing available. Daystar sounds like the way to go. Although it has been unseasonably windy in Iowa this spring........

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well that bites. I would contact your Jeep factory rep on this. It is, to me, not acceptable for the hood to vibrate.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what they are doing with the steering wheel (i'm heading up to Minneapolis) but I will try to snap a pic of the steering wheel. When the piece fell of I couldnt believe it. The rubber molding underneath was in bits and pieces. The dealership is being good about helping out other then they needed my Jeep for the day to figure out the piece would not work and to put the nipple on the hood. Anyone with the Daystars- Where is a good place to pick these up cost wise?

·
Registered
725 Posts
alright ive been reading through this post and how bad is this problem will it cause something to break maybe im being thick headed but my hood shakes a little but i couldn't see it shaking to the point where it causes something to break just curious.:smokin:

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
alright ive been reading through this post and how bad is this problem will it cause something to break maybe im being thick headed but my hood shakes a little but i couldn't see it shaking to the point where it causes something to break just curious.:smokin:
In my case, it fluttered enough to bend the safety catch slightly. We took delivery of the Jeep in August of '07. During our vacation trip out west October '07 we really thought the hood was going to come off (heavy crosswinds heading into New Mexico) . It literally raised 1-2" at the latch. I removed the hood spring and added an aftermarket hood lock behind the grille and it stopped. No problems since.

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
Another vote for the daystar hood wranglers. Mine used to bounce like crazy too when on the highway. Just my humble opinion...why waste time trying to get the dealer to fix something when you can do it your self in 10 minutes for 25 bucks and never worry about it again.:beer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts