JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2007 jk with 3.8L engine and manual transmission. It is skipping and losing power. Are there any replacement motors that will fit without extensive modifications and maybe give me more power? Tia

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
^ truth
Wow ok thanks for your help! Is everyone on these sites as helpful as you?
His answer is actually about as accurate and succinct as it gets. But, by all means, get fussy.
You can replace your engine like for like and live with the abysmal performance of the 3.8.
You can swap out to an LS or Hemi and perform extensive modifications.

@BlkJKLS is right.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I’ve got a 2007 jk with 3.8L engine and manual transmission. It is skipping and losing power. Are there any replacement motors that will fit without extensive modifications and maybe give me more power? Tia
No.
If you don't like the answer, maybe fuck right off.
*Edit:
TIA.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Giving your thread a nudge.
You never filled us in on what you're trying to accomplish here. Also you never mentioned if you live somewhere with smog / emissions / inspections. Do you have a budget? Do you want a turnkey conversion or do you want to do the work? All we know is you have an 07 2dr with a mañuel.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Giving your thread a nudge.
You never filled us in on what you're trying to accomplish here. Also you never mentioned if you live somewhere with smog / emissions / inspections. Do you have a budget? Do you want a turnkey conversion or do you want to do the work? All we know is you have an 07 2dr with a mañuel.
We also know he's a self important douche who can't use the search function.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
We also know he's a self important douche who can't use the search function.
Just trying to keep him from getting sucked down the JSS black hole of BS.
Also, I am only saying this because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing. :thefinger:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you snout. Mainly i would like more power. The skipping/misfire problem is just the catalyst to get a new engine. The local jeep dealer has had it for weeks and cannot tell me what the problem is. Their last suggestion was that the number 5 valve may be bad and they wanted to do a replacement for 3k. Id rather spent that money on a better motor. i do live in a state that does test for emissions. .I am looking for a turnkey job and hope to keep it under 10k$.

Spiraldick- I do know how to use the search function but the many solutions are confusing. What I was hoping was to get some honest help from others that may have been in this situation before and were willing to help someone out. If your ever in mooresville nc please give me a shout .I would love to chat with you face to face.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Thank you snout. Mainly i would like more power. The skipping/misfire problem is just the catalyst to get a new engine. The local jeep dealer has had it for weeks and cannot tell me what the problem is. Their last suggestion was that the number 5 valve may be bad and they wanted to do a replacement for 3k. Id rather spent that money on a better motor. i do live in a state that does test for emissions. .I am looking for a turnkey job and hope to keep it under 10k$.

Spiraldick- I do know how to use the search function but the many solutions are confusing. What I was hoping was to get some honest help from others that may have been in this situation before and were willing to help someone out. If your ever in mooresville nc please give me a shout .I would love to chat with you face to face.
lol c'mon, no need to start picking fights on a forum. Last thing I want to see is a bunch of guys slapping each other.
If you want turnkey, $10k is a tall ask. I have a place on Lake Norman and went back and fourth with Rubitrux a while back and a turnkey hemi swap was still north of $20k. You'll get help here. You just have to get past the crunchy shell to get to the juicy innards. There is a buttload of threads on swaps (both Hemi and LS) here. There's also vendors like RPM Extreme that sell the harnesses and kits to either do the swap yourself or work with a local shop. Keep chipping away. This thread is a good start.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Who'd ever willingly go to Mooresville, NC?
Not for a blowie from you, anyway. 😂 😂 😂 😂
Don't get all panty-twisted. You asked a vague question that's been answered a bunch of times, recently here : Swap on a budget
You were a total prick to the guy that answered you. I don't like you either, and you aren't going to piece together a swap for 10k that retains the jk functions.
You can swap in a V8 for 10k if you can do it yourself and run a custom harness and manual controls for lighting, radio and a/c.
I know one mechanic who did this on his. He's had some issues, but it runs. Just couldn't get the transmission to stop producing torque when the brake was applied.

·
Registered
601 Posts
braon haga,

hang in there!

IF you have the skills to do it yourself, you can do an LS or Hemi swap yourself for “about” 10k.

www.RPMExtreme.com (just north of Birmingham, AL) or MOTECH / www.lswrangler.com (in Las Vegas, NV) specialize in LS swaps (kits or turn key) is who I would recommend that you consult for advice.

For about $5500 you can add a supercharger, DIY.
I have a RIPP surpercharger on my ‘08 JK. It made a significant increase in power. I can literally smoke my 37’s, with an auto through 5.38 gears. However, that is with a 3.8 that isn’t having problems.

My advice is to find a GOOD local “Master Mechanic” in your area and bypass the dealer. Help out the local guy, and he’ll help you out. Chances are, you’ll be better off with a mechanic who relies on his personal reputation than a dealer who hires mechanics who hide behind the dealer’s brand name. I’m sure your engine problems can be fixed for far less than 3k.

I have a #2 cylinder misfire occasionally. But that doesn’t stop me from still having fun with the RIPP.

In the future, hopefully sooner than later, I’ll be taking my Jeep to RPMExtreme or MOTECH for a 6.2L swap.

I love the RIPP, but you need to get the 3.8L wound up to about 2500 RPM’s before the RIPP throws you into the back seat. Then it’s like lighting cat’s tail on fire! Hahaha! But I wish it had a lot better low end torque than only a V-8 can give.

in summary:

1.Take it to a good local mechanic for a look-see.
2. DIY V-8 swap
3. RPMExtreme or MOTECH for an in-house swap ($$$)

Good luck, and let’s us know what you choose!
And ignore the bad attitudes. Things have changed here for the worse versus years ago when I was frequently on here. But there are still people out here who like to help.

cheers,

Acey

Reactions: Artisanau

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
braon haga,

hang in there!

IF you have the skills to do it yourself, you can do an LS or Hemi swap yourself for “about” 10k.

www.RPMExtreme.com (just north of Birmingham, AL) or MOTECH / www.lswrangler.com (in Las Vegas, NV) specialize in LS swaps (kits or turn key) is who I would recommend that you consult for advice.

For about $5500 you can add a supercharger, DIY.
I have a RIPP surpercharger on my ‘08 JK. It made a significant increase in power. I can literally smoke my 37’s, with an auto through 5.38 gears. However, that is with a 3.8 that isn’t having problems.

My advice is to find a GOOD local “Master Mechanic” in your area and bypass the dealer. Help out the local guy, and he’ll help you out. Chances are, you’ll be better off with a mechanic who relies on his personal reputation than a dealer who hires mechanics who hide behind the dealer’s brand name. I’m sure your engine problems can be fixed for far less than 3k.

I have a #2 cylinder misfire occasionally. But that doesn’t stop me from still having fun with the RIPP.

In the future, hopefully sooner than later, I’ll be taking my Jeep to RPMExtreme or MOTECH for a 6.2L swap.

I love the RIPP, but you need to get the 3.8L wound up to about 2500 RPM’s before the RIPP throws you into the back seat. Then it’s like lighting cat’s tail on fire! Hahaha! But I wish it had a lot better low end torque than only a V-8 can give.

in summary:

1.Take it to a good local mechanic for a look-see.
2. DIY V-8 swap
3. RPMExtreme or MOTECH for an in-house swap ($$$)

Good luck, and let’s us know what you choose!
And ignore the bad attitudes. Things have changed here for the worse versus years ago when I was frequently on here. But there are still people out here who like to help.

cheers,

Acey
Thank you man! that is super helpful! Im sending it to a local mechanic, today, that is going to put new heads on it. I'm just going to have to put up with the 3.8. The Ls swap is not in budget or my skill level. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
I would add John at Overland Performance to that list

Then it’s like lighting cat’s tail on fire! Hahaha! But I wish it had a lot better low end torque than only a V-8 can give.
Or a positive displacement supercharger :whistle:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thank you man! that is super helpful! Im sending it to a local mechanic, today, that is going to put new heads on it. I'm just going to have to put up with the 3.8. The Ls swap is not in budget or my skill level. Thanks again.
You are welcome. 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.