·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
stock JK rear D44? NO, it does not have 3.5" tubes

There is big difference in strength between a D44 8.5" ring gear and a D60 9.75". Especially if you are using lower 5.38 gears. The 60 has bigger axle tubes with a thicker wall

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Has anybody seen this?

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-18914438-dana-60-jk-rear-bolt-in-axle-assembly-semi-float.html

It looks pretty beefy.

Does the rear Dana 44 have the same 3.5" Tubes 1/2" Wall?

Edit* I see it uses Factory Housing Ends to allow use of stock brakes. So the only benefit is the 9.75 Ring gear besides the 35 spline shafts, but then you can put those in a Rubi 44 axle housing with an ARB locker...

So, is this really worth it?
Gotta agree with Dirtman. If you're at the stage where you really need a 60+, semi float isn't much help. Seems they're using the JK size bearings & brakes, etc., so you're really not much stronger than going ARB & 35 spline on the JK44.

FWIW, an opinion I got from TnT Customs, if your JK is under 6000 lbs and running no more than 37s there's no practical benefit to a D60 swap. My experience with my previous rig revealed some negatives. It was a YJ which in late 2000 I installed a Dynatrac D44/D60 combination. These were done before Dynatrac offered their Pro Rock series. They were based upon OEM center sections, so they were probably a bit heavier than what you can get now. Although the axles were infinitely stronger than the D30/D35 twigs they replaced, their increased weight and drag really impacted on-road performance. Something to consider on a dual-use JK, particularly a 4dr. You can probably beef up the rear D44 with gussets & ARB/35 enough to get you by.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Great advice from SoK66. That is the route I took and have not broken it yet. You do not hear about rear rubi housings failing like the D44 fronts. Drop in a ARB air locker and upgrade the axels. If you are going full rock crawler than make the move but go all the way to full float

1 - 5 of 5 Posts