JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/-IW6nNrk-h8

I'm watching that stock bumper shear off and suddenly Stubby bumpers like the ARB don't seem unsafe after all.

Watch what Flys, what stays, and what crinkled... Interesting

·
Registered
103 Posts
While, yes, the bumper did remain intact (i.e., no pieces of it came off), it appears to me that it offered little resistance before folding up upon impact.

As far as this bumper being more or less safe than stubby bumpers, IMO, I think the only person it's "safer" for would be a pedestrian in a low-low-speed situation. Something where the bumper hits the shin/kneecap, rather than a tire.

·
Probably Stuck on my Diff
1,276 Posts
I think thats the design of the bumper, to flex and disperse energy. I think if that was a solid bumper, the force to the driver would be much greater.

Damn, watching the overhead, the dummies head seems to slam hard into the door window. :cwm13:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
40 mph guys. I saw the bumper either fold flawlessly inward or collapse. I thought the dummy fared fairly well. It was a solid concrete 2 foot barrier after all. I've never witnessed or responded to an accident scene where a beefy offroad bumper flew into bystanders, but I imagine it's possible.

As far as a ped vs car, they are all pretty bad. Thankfully Jeepers are pretty safe, and even the insurance companies agree. ☺

It does offer a solid teaching of how are Jeeps react. I was impressed. Designers did a fine job.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Look at how long that wheel and tire survived before finally caving to the impact, that helped deflect the Jeep away from the barrier.

Ron

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a fine day to be a jeep owner folks... Vehicle of the Gods...

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Nope. Between 0:22 and 0:23 you can see the metal part of the bumper folded and bounced back fairly well. The only thing that disappeared was the plastic cover.

Ron it looked like the frame also helped guide the jeep away from the barrier by the time it clipped the mirror. Nasty crash with a decent outcome.

·
Registered
108 Posts
FYI, if you're worried about safety with after market bumpers, most of them can delay or stop the airbag from deploying at slower speeds. I lost control on a wet dirt road last year and hit a tree on the left d-ring at about 20mph, the airbag never deployed. I'm sure it would have set off the sensor if the speed was higher. My bumper barely had a scratch, the frame was compressed and diamonded.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah... I hear ya. I was trying to decide between ARB Stubby and Poison spyder brawler .. Looks like Poison spyder gets it. The wheel absorbs alot but I'll take a tad more coverage beyond the grill. Interesting video..

·
Registered
324 Posts
The comment says the lack of fixed roof offers less roll-over protection.?
Ummm it has a full roll-cage! Doesn't get much safer than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts