JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored enough tonight to look through most of the pages on the new Wrangler app and found some info that surprised me:

Standard V6 Engine

3.8L V6 with 15 MPG City / 19 MPG Highway

202 HP / 237 lb-ft torque

Improved Fuel Efficiency.

3.6L V6 with 16 MPG City / 23 MPG Highway

500 Mile Range
Obviously, the 3.8 info is nothing surprising, but I'm not sure they fully intended to share the Pentastar fuel economy numbers like that. I could certainly appreciate the extra mpg right along with the 80-100hp bump in the new Wrangler.

Hoping the sheetmetal changes aren't too frightening.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Historically, the sheet metal won't change at all until the 2017 model. I don't count the sport cage change for rear 3 point seatbelts in the 1992 YJ

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
wohooo...I guess? Pentastar engine doesn't seem to impress me very much.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was Allpar that claimed sheetmetal Changes were coming to improve aerodynamics.

Obviously the Pentastar isn't the Hemi or diesel we all covet, but about 40% better power and 20% gain in highway fuel economy is a good start.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So is the pentastar going to be an option or the standard engine?
should be a standard... itd be a waste of money to have a 3.6 AND a 3.8, especially when one gets that much better hp and mpg

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Great catch! The engine/trans alone would not bring a 20% increase. Plus the Pentastar will not fit in the current JK its 3" longer! Slight front winshield rake and major grill modifcation. I doubt most customers will even notice.

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
might be nice to get a little more windshield rake. As it is, if you look at a wrangler window the wrong way it starts to spider web.

·
Registered
647 Posts
should be a standard... itd be a waste of money to have a 3.6 AND a 3.8, especially when one gets that much better hp and mpg
doubtful they would do it but....they already offer the Town and Country with the 3.8 and 4.0 engines so its not that strange.

and i was getting 23mpg in my stocker with the 3.8!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
All that redesign to fit another crappy V6...great thinking Jeep :puke:
Yeah......yawn.I don't understand the reluctance of Jeep to offer up a diesel rig.It's not like they don't know that they will sell them all damn near as soon as orders can be taken.:shaking:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Diesel does me no good whatsoever if it's not paired with a manual tranny.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
doubtful they would do it but....they already offer the Town and Country with the 3.8 and 4.0 engines so its not that strange.

and i was getting 23mpg in my stocker with the 3.8!
That was in 2010, 2011 brought on the Pentastar in 95% of our vehicles. The rating was 15city 19hwy so if your getting 23 mpg's the pentastar would get you 28mpg!

Jason

·
Registered
647 Posts
That was in 2010, 2011 brought on the Pentastar in 95% of our vehicles. The rating was 15city 19hwy so if your getting 23 mpg's the pentastar would get you 28mpg!

Jason
yeah i know. I was just giving an example of 2 engines very close in Litre size. I work for VW and the Routan is the T&C so i have parts for all 3 engines now. Its good that i have all the 3.8L parts in stock though! Makes it handy for the jeep. lol

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I'm sure it's a fine engine, but it doesn't belong in a rig of this size. It'd probably be great for the Compass.
In a Compass its would be a rocket, the compass is going away although the redesign is enjoying a 80% sales increase! I like the 3.6 and welcome the engine in our fullline up. I know jeep will not be able to please everyone...looking at the sales numbers for May I see a lot of pleased customers.

Jason

1 - 20 of 22 Posts