JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
test drove an '08 yesterday and loved it. anyone have any info/advice on child safety seats and the JK (which ones fit best etc)...baby isn't born yet just thinking ahead. thx.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don't have any specifics on the seats themselves, but I can tell you that my new granddaughter is not riding in my Unlimited (with auto) in any carseat until Chrysler and/or the government figures out why they are catching on fire. We were about to load her into the Jeep last weekend when it dawned on me that getting her out in the event of a fast moving fire (like those reported), would be virtually impossible. If you're planning on a two door or a standard transmission then ignore the preceeding rant. :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
There's plenty of room in the Unlimited back seats. I have a Britax Roundabout (which is actually a fairly large convertible seat) and a large toddler/booster seat and they both fit fine. In fact a third seat would be able to fit easily back there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't have any specifics on the seats themselves, but I can tell you that my new granddaughter is not riding in my Unlimited (with auto) in any carseat until Chrysler and/or the government figures out why they are catching on fire. We were about to load her into the Jeep last weekend when it dawned on me that getting her out in the event of a fast moving fire (like those reported), would be virtually impossible. If you're planning on a two door or a standard transmission then ignore the preceeding rant. :D
Just because a couple fires have been reported on the forums doesn't mean that it's a widespread problem or manufacturing defect. I know at least one of the Jeeps involved in those fires was heavily wheeled (as are many jeeps) - whose to say there wasn't some leak/loosening of a fuel line or something that caused the fire?? It could be a defect, but I personally haven't seen enough evidence to convince me that's the case.

Just my 2 pennies. I feel very comfortable with my 2 year old and 7 mo. old strapped in the back of my JK.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
X2 with Cab76. Its just isolated incidents. You can't expect to beat the shait of your JK off road and have no complications at all. And not everybody have the maintenance skillz to do the add ons and have a safe ride . Its something to pay attention to but not to freak out about it.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
test drove an '08 yesterday and loved it. anyone have any info/advice on child safety seats and the JK (which ones fit best etc)...baby isn't born yet just thinking ahead. thx.
Once you have your JK take it to babiesRus (or whatever store you're going to buy from) and ask to try the seats in your vehicle. For a large corporate chain they are typically very reasonable about this and will allow you to try several in your vehicle. This is what we did for my sons car seat before he was born and I'm glad that we did.

One thing to consider is how many cars will the car seat be going into? Moms car, Dads Jeep, grandmas car, etc. Make sure that you have all the vehicles that you intend to put a seat base in available to test. Just because you can get it in one vehicle doesn't mean that you can get it in another. Hopefully all vehicles will be LATCH equipped. LATCH makes life soooo much easier :laughing: (and safer too ;))

OBTW - I also agree that the fire issue is an isolated issue. If JKs all over the place were bursting into flames then we'd be seeing recalls and news warnings (you know how the newsies love a good "Vehicle UNSAFE! Beware! Its a DEATH TRAP! You, yes YOU, will die and then grow warts if you even glance at one! Details at 11:00..." segment :shaking:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Exactly. You could probably find similar safety things about most vehicles today. I'm not convinced yet that there is a design problem. Otherwise, my daughter wouldn't get within 10 feet of my Jeep. I won't let her ride in the Jeep now that it's lifted until I've shaken the cobwebs and made sure everything is good.

One person surmised that the problem could be brush that gets caught up between the body and the skid plates. I thought that was plausible, because it seems like most offroad trips I pull out weeds, sticks, pine needles, etc. from up there.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying but over on Eddie's board I think the count is up to six (Unlimited autos) with several others having had issues that could have led to fire (tranny fluid boiling out of the dipstick tube and onto the catalytic converter). Agreed that some have been wheeled, but a few hadn't and several caught fire driving down the interstate. When you consider that the number of JK-Forum members doesn't even come close to the number of JK owners out there then extrapolate the numbers, it begins to get a little scary. As far as the Govt. getting involved, we all know how slowly those wheels turn. Look how long it took to get the stall bug recall accomplished. That, and as vehicle savvy as most of these forum members are, there are at least two on JK-Forum whose vehicles burned to the ground that hadn't reported it to the NHTSA the last time I checked (they had hired lawyers however :shaking:).

I'm certainly not trying to criticize anyone or question their parenting skills so please don't take it that way. All I'm saying is (and I might be completely paranoid) that Charlotte is not getting in the back of the Jeep until some resolution of this problem is found. And that resolution might be me installing a great big tranny cooler and tranny temp gauge (another excuse for more Jeep mods). :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for the advice! (now I just have to convince my husband that we have to buy it!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here's my little girl in the Britax Roundabout. It really doesn't take up much room. I had the Rugged Ridge bag with the top door halves next to her.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It just occurred to me that HOTDAD would have loved this thread. :laughing2::laughing2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's my little girl in the Britax Roundabout. It really doesn't take up much room. I had the Rugged Ridge bag with the top door halves next to her.

She is too cute! It looks like there is still plenty of room with the seat in there too. I was leaning toward Britax because of the safety ratings. Did you use an infant seat in the JK for her when she was small or have you always used the roundabout? I know they accomodate from like 5 pounds and up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
She is too cute! It looks like there is still plenty of room with the seat in there too. I was leaning toward Britax because of the safety ratings. Did you use an infant seat in the JK for her when she was small or have you always used the roundabout? I know they accomodate from like 5 pounds and up.
Thank you for the compliment of my daughter.

I wish we would have known about the Britax before. We had a Graco seat for her rear facing seat. It was way too big for the 2-door back seat. I had to use it once in there and I had the front seat all the way forward and the seat was straight up and down. It was not a pleasant ride. Basically, we just used my wife's Exploder until she got into the forward facing seat.

Don't forget the benefit of the Britax being made in the USA!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
41 Posts

Darn she's cute! I miss my girls being that small.

As for leg room, it's more challenging one the seats are forward-facing and the child is 2-5 years old. Their legs aren't long enough to dangle - they stick straight out into the back of the front seat! I had no problem with this in my wife's old Expedition. So, some of the convertible seats that can be used facing both ways, would not be that great facing forward because they the kid's tushie would be too far from the JK's rear seat back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts