JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

First I'd like to compliment ya'll on this site! By far it's the best that I have seen.

Back to the post... I bought a '13 JKUR about 3 weeks ago, and did so because I saw the JK-8 package on a Sport model at a local dealer... It was impressive, with all the rock crawler gear, lift kit, big tires, winch and fender flares! If it were not Dozer Orange and a Sport model without PWR windows for $55K, I may have jumped on it (kidding). I wanted the Rubicon for the obvious reasons, and nothing against the folks who prefer Orange, but like my Harley I'll take mine Black. Thinking that there was probably $10-12k in markup over the MSRP for all they did to that Jeep, and I would not be so aggressive with some features. I came to the conclusion that "Do it yourself" was the way to get more Jeep at the end of the day.

Now that I have the Jeep, I am able to step back and think before I mod... I do like the look, I like the fact that it's MOPAR steel that is stamped and welded into place. What I don't like, is that I don't know anyone that has one. Which is why I am asking ya'll about the JK-8 Kit. Who has one? Who Knows anyone with one? What are the general opinions good and bad?

If the reviews are not that good I have time to figure out another direction, several months in fact :cool:

Thanks,
David

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Search will be your friend. I know there are a few guys on here that run JK8 conversions. Some guys have even done their own conversions. You also may find guys that are running their own conversions similar to the AEV Brute.
Thanks, I have been searching for some time, and there are some out there. Though they do seem to be few and far between.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
If you want a Jeep, keep it a Jeep. If you want a truck, there are much better options for the money. If you do the conversion think about all the parts you will have to try to get rid of that you paid a premium for when you bought your Jeep new. Good luck selling most of it...everyone else already has the same stock interior pieces so you will most likely be hauling it all to the dumpster. IMO for Jeep to do it right they should either sell the JK8 from the factory, or sell a stripped out Jeep cheaper to offset the price of the JK8 kit. I don't like buying things twice.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
If I need a truck for hauling things, and already had a JKU, I would take the 6 grand or whatever the kit costs and buy a used truck. Or you could just remove the rear seats and take the top off the JKU and have almost the same cargo space as the JK8. And its easily reversible. Jeeps are very versatile why make it permanently into one configuration?

· Registered
215 Posts
I still don't understand the JK8 - it costs several thousand dollars to convert a 35k+ Jeep into a 25k Ford Ranger with poor hauling/towing ability. It is different (if that is your goal) but the entire setup just does not make any sense to me.
I think the 4-door AEV looks really cool - but for me personally, dumping that amount of cash into a vehicle would be filed under poor financial planning. However, I am glad to someone makes them and someone buys them because they are cool to look at online.

· Registered
356 Posts
I still don't understand the JK8 - it costs several thousand dollars to convert a 35k+ Jeep into a 25k Ford Ranger with poor hauling/towing ability. It is different (if that is your goal) but the entire setup just does not make any sense to me.
I think the 4-door AEV looks really cool - but for me personally, dumping that amount of cash into a vehicle would be filed under poor financial planning. However, I am glad to someone makes them and someone buys them because they are cool to look at online.
With gas prices being what they are, owning a Jeep is poor financial planning. Having said that, I wouldn't have it any other way. My Jeep is my passion.

· Registered
215 Posts
With gas prices being what they are, owning a Jeep is poor financial planning. Having said that, I wouldn't have it any other way. My Jeep is my passion.
Actually the cost savings of driving a similar marketed fuel efficient car vs. a Jeep is not that great. Sure, someone is going to say, I have 96" tires and get 0.5 MPG - that is not the average Jeep owner.

Cost of Gas in Midwest today $3.61
My JK MPG 18 MPG (calculated over 15,xxx miles)
Mini Cooper 33 MPG Combined

Annual cost of fuel for a JK @ 15,000 mi. per year @ $3.61 Per Gallon - $3008.33

Annual cost of fuel for a Mini @ 15,000 mi. per year @ $3.61 Per Gallon - $1640.09 (Disregarding the need for premium)

Annual Fuel Difference - $1367.42

Cost difference over 5 years - $6837.11

Using the calculation above, you pay a $1367.42 fuel penalty each year to drive a Jeep vs. a Mini Cooper. The cost of a JK8 mentioned by the OP was 55k or about a 20k premium over the stock sport. Over 5 years that breaks down to $4,000 per year. It is not yet known if the resale of the JK8 will be increased.

My point - $1367.43 is not a significant penalty in my opinion, however, $4,000 per year for the JK8 is a significant penalty. I really like my Jeep also, but I have a lot of other interests.

· Registered
17 Posts
Agree with all above but the cool factor of a JK-8 is "priceless"... There is a lot of 2012 new left over JK-8's for sale all over the internet and now is a great buying time! The dealers are cutting them loose from $35,000 to $41,000.00. I bought a new one loaded on ebay for $36,500.00..:)

· Registered
1,802 Posts
i think the JK8 is cool because its different, but a complete and total waste of money. i personally would (like others are saying) buy a small truck if i needed a small truck, or buy a two door JK and stretch it if im offroading it.

the JK8s only redeeming factor to me is the cool and different factor.

· Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,131 Posts
That would be buying a jeep and moding the fuck out of it.

· Banned
695 Posts
The JK8 conversions is marketed to people who have money to burn in excess. Just like the HEMI and GM V8 conversions, they are not for everyone.

If you have the money, you like it, and you want it, buy it. It's that simple...

Actually the cost savings of driving a similar marketed fuel efficient car vs. a Jeep is not that great. Sure, someone is going to say, I have 96" tires and get 0.5 MPG - that is not the average Jeep owner.

Cost of Gas in Midwest today $3.61
My JK MPG 18 MPG (calculated over 15,xxx miles)
Mini Cooper 33 MPG Combined

Annual cost of fuel for a JK @ 15,000 mi. per year @ $3.61 Per Gallon - $3008.33

Annual cost of fuel for a Mini @ 15,000 mi. per year @ $3.61 Per Gallon - $1640.09 (Disregarding the need for premium)

Annual Fuel Difference - $1367.42

Cost difference over 5 years - $6837.11

Using the calculation above, you pay a $1367.42 fuel penalty each year to drive a Jeep vs. a Mini Cooper. The cost of a JK8 mentioned by the OP was 55k or about a 20k premium over the stock sport. Over 5 years that breaks down to $4,000 per year. It is not yet known if the resale of the JK8 will be increased.

My point - $1367.43 is not a significant penalty in my opinion, however, $4,000 per year for the JK8 is a significant penalty. I really like my Jeep also, but I have a lot of other interests.
Although I get your point, your comparison is not valid because they are not similar vehicles. People do not buy Jeep Wranglers for fuel efficiency...

· Registered
1 Posts
Rubicon would be the way I would go if I did it again. I have a 2012 JK-8 sahara that i bought from the local dealer. I love me jeep the only problem i have had out of mine is the bed drains into a crossmember that is in the cab and the drain hole can get clogged with dirt and trash which backs the water up into the cab. Sealing the crossmember and enlarging the drain hole during the install should keep that from happening. And there is no inside dome light but rigging something up is pretty easy. Other than that i haven't had any problems out of mine.

· Registered
28 Posts
Agree with all above but the cool factor of a JK-8 is "priceless"... There is a lot of 2012 new left over JK-8's for sale all over the internet and now is a great buying time! The dealers are cutting them loose from $35,000 to $41,000.00. I bought a new one loaded on ebay for $36,500.00..:)
One of the Guys in our Jeep club has a JK8 - the dealer had it sitting on the lot for a year, and was losing money with it just sitting there. When he bought a new JK, I heard the dealer cut him a deal & he got it for nearly the same price as other nicely optioned Wranglers on the lot. He's since lineX'ed the whole thing, done a lift/bumpers/winch/35's & wheels the hell out of it. It's handy, and he & his wife love it.

But... it's as practical as a Corvette for a primary vehicle. Fun for a single person, okay for 2... And worthless for a family. They've got a baby on the way, and just added a JKUR to their household as the baby buggy. They managed to swing it, but I could see many people in that circumstance having to cut the built JK8 loose at a big loss in order to afford a Jeep with more than 2 seats.

Just a little food for thought...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.