JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I laid this out on The Facebooks earlier, and it should be posted here as well:

People often ask me why I wheel my Jeep. Today, I asked myself the same question after washing it for the first time in 3 months for a car show tomorrow, and seeing the scratches left by hitting trails that vehicles are not meant to travel.

Let's face it: Buying a Jeep is not an inexpensive proposition. They're upwards of 25K on the cheap end, and if you're lucky, you get 18 MPG. I currently get 12. And then you can, and I have, put over $15K in mods into it just to make it beyond off-road worthy. (Believe the hype. The Jeep Wrangler is the most off-road capable vehicle you can buy stock out of the showroom. Ask me how I know.) So the end result of all the time and money is to throw your now $40-$50,000 vehicle into shit that no normal person would ever throw their prized vehicle into. And get out of it. Because you can. And throw it from 4-low to 2-wheel and hit the pavement after being in 4' of water and 3' of mud. Because you can. And come home in one piece. Because you can.

And I could only make this post just about the vehicle, because that's what made it all possible. But it's much more than that. It's really about a brotherhood. I'm part of a group of people 50+ strong who would, and have bled for me. We've become a family. A family of disjointed, dysfunctional and varied people from all walks of life. From mechanics to police and other emergency responders. From I.T., to construction to military to CEO's, who share a love of wheeling, Jeeps, fun and family.

We camp in Wharton in February. We have install parties where a $2000.00 lift kit is installed for free. We hold birthday parties with a Jersey Crew pinata. (Extremely inside joke.) We hold fundraisers for The Animal Orphanage and kids who have had organ transplants. We do this because we can. And we do this because we are family. And when I look at my $50,000 Jeep with scratches down to the machined steel I realize that it's all worth it. Warts and all.

Jersey Crew strong!

Registered
Amen brother

Registered
And forked....

Registered
Well said Jim, think you brought a tear to my eye. Wait no you didn't, that's just some left over bacon grease.

Registered
A dysfunctional we are:skull::drinking-42::skull:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts