JKOwners Forum banner

Jeepbronco1 SUT build (my mini truck build)

106K views 231 replies 79 participants last post by  jeepbronco1 
#1 ·
Aight so heres my build... I was wanting a truck type look and be able to take the dogs with me with out having them in the jeep with me. So heres the attempt . It started with a damaged hardtop i picked up for cheap. from there we set the jig for cutting the top half. We used a router and it worked like a champ. from there we ran into our problems..... I thought the top was very symmetrical... its not exactly. But this was a minor hiccup for a do anything POP's, from there we pieced this top back together , with out sacrificing strength or looks. For the reassembly of the top i used west system epoxies. We were recommend with GFLEX 650 system, great for plastics and SMC. Pretty awesome stuff check out there site (the Kayak challenge). Didnt need to use fabrics or any other materials. From there i started on the repair of the damage corner, just using pieces of left over SMC. Then came the oh shit moment, I hope this worth it.... I cut the role bar!!!! :affraid:

So now this project isnt done yet but ive made major headway....

Things to come.

body work
Upol raptor liner the entire top
custom build the bulk head
Install the rear sliding window
customize the roll bar

Here are some photos of the process!

I hoping to have the SUT done by the end of the month but will see.
prepped top for cutting and epoxy

pops making the CUT

the assembly

See less See more
#11 ·
haha yep.... wife needed tires so gave her the 35's and came across a great deal on the miss match set! hey but dont worry the tires went to a good cause......

Got any plans to block off the lower part? I might have missed that, but I was curious as to how you plan on it if so.

Nice work, way over my ability for sure.
Thats the bulk head that we will be building soon. Plan on making a 2 pc design the bottom can be removed for caring long objects. Also were the piece attaching to the top with the window in can be removed as well so then i could put the seats down and could load so rather large items maybe dirt bikes etc.....

#15 ·
Thanks , I feel ya on been wanting to do it for a while, luckily came across so damaged tops!

Cool project! Can't wait to see the roll bar and bulkhead modifications come together! :beer:
Im excited as well ill post updates soon as I get some , should make heavy progress to that this weekend!

Very cool.

#17 ·
I am likin it... I too am intersted to see what is being done for the lower part to close up the tub...nice job !

#19 ·
Its gonna be nice Ill tell you that ! But its gonna be awhile though! Im gonna go ahead and build a deck cover first then work on the bulkhead area!!!

awesome project. looking great so far, cant wait to see the finished product. good looking jeep btw :beer:
Thanks !!!:D I appreciate it !

#23 ·
Thanks Im glad I didnt have to bust into a new top!

how did this little nugget slip by me?

this is a kick ass project. I look forward to seeing the end result of your work. looks great!
Thanks appreciate it.

Hey, I really dig this little project. Not what I would do to mine. But I like your custom fab way of thinking. And the take charge attitude you and your Dad took to get this done. Way to go.. Can't wait to see it all painted up and complete.

:beer:
All painted up , i sometimes look at it and think to myself what was I thinking but Its different I know. Appreciate the feedback!!

#21 ·
how did this little nugget slip by me?

this is a kick ass project. I look forward to seeing the end result of your work. looks great!

#22 ·
Hey, I really dig this little project. Not what I would do to mine. But I like your custom fab way of thinking. And the take charge attitude you and your Dad took to get this done. Way to go.. Can't wait to see it all painted up and complete.

:beer:

#24 ·
Here are some pics of the bulkhead being built, we went with wood but i have found out the hard way already that if it aint sealed its warping......:eek2: But all in all looks pretty good. Im kicking myself for buying a small window but its hard to know what to get with out seeing it in person ....(live and learn):thinking: But heres what ya want pictures!

Had to split this corner for fitting issues

Chopped the roll bar completely

framing process.

Covered the hing area

#25 ·
U POL raptor liner! Pretty sweet stuff I was a little hesitant , but the products is nice.

Gotta get to work on the CAGE

Installed the window! Great fit and pretty clean look!

bottom bulkhead to be built soon.

Built some bed rails to give a even look in the back... I tried to stay level with windows for a nice line, Gonna finish welding them and paint today.

#34 ·
Any reason you didnt fiberglass that rear window in?
My input:
Do the bulkhead and rear window piece out of one piece of wood then fiberglass it (the liner wont waterproof it completely like you think it would, it does okay but will still get through, I have a sub box done in liner and it does get a little wet) And then fiberglass the whole piece onto the hard top.
(unless youre going to make a metal bulkhead then scratch that :beer: )

#35 ·
Thought about one solid piece but then you have to lift 2' in the air to get off .... Reason for not fiberglassing the enclosure is no experience in it . When I re do the bulkhead I'm going to slap a layer of material on it and epoxy it, to keep it water tight before spraying it. It's my fault for the warping I knew it had a little bare wood showing but I was to busy to caulk it. There was no rain in the forecast but the next noting of course there was a shower( my luck ) any ways thanks for the ideas I appreciate them !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.