JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just had to have my jeep towed to the dealership. had my exhaust installed today and then all of the sudden i turned my jeep off went into the store when i came back out i put my key in the ignition pushed the clutch in and when i turned the key everything came on but the engine. the dash lights came on radio came on but the motor wouldnt turn over not even the annoying little clicking noise u get when the battery is dead. so i am seriously confused and pissed and have no idea what the hell is going on with the jeep and to top it all off my mileage is at 36700. i am only 700 miles over my warranty and when i talked to the dealer they arent gonna cover it unless it has to do with powertrain since i only have an 8yr 80k mile warranty since its certified pre-owned

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yep. Same thing happened to my TJ back in the day. The dealership did some recall work and it never ran again. Turned it in under Lemon Law (after I got an attorney). The hydraulic clutch switch was the root of all my evil. The dealership screwed it up so bad it never worked again.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
axle back flowmaster 80 crossflow with dual tips... it was welded but he grounded the whole thing and if he had shorted it it wouldnt of started the first time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
did you check the battery? mine did the same thing. dead battery.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Probably a fuse or relay. Let us know the outcome. That sucks. :pissed:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if it is the battery what should I go with I was thinking optima... any imput?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
So if it is the battery what should I go with I was thinking optima... any imput?
I have no complaints on the optima yellow top. I wouldn't run out just yet to get a battery though.... There's a good chance Its not the battery. Do you hear at least one click when you try to start your jeep?

First I would borrow a battery from a friend and see if that starts the jeep. If that's not the case it's either one of two things, the starter or an electrical problem. I know a few people including me that had an electrical problem... Something to do with the static in the key area. If it's the same problem I had I would go out and try to start the jeep every hour or two... If it randomly starts up sometimes and sometimes doesn't then let me know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I turn the key and get nothing. Not a click not a hum nothing,,, silence. Dash lights up like a christmastree but no rumble of the exhaust...my thought is ignition switch is broke, starter just died, clutch switch or battery..

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
When I had the common electrical problem I always had 1 click... Same thing with dead battery. That doesn't really help you but I wouldnt spend my money on the new battery unless your sure it's the battery... You might need that money for another part right now. I have a spare starter (I bought one when I had my issue and it turned out not to be the starter). I think it was $75 from pepboys. Maybe buy one and return it if it doesn't help? I can send you mine to burrow but shipping both ways might not be worth it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was just about to post something about this today! I have an 09 rubi unlimited, never had the dealer do any work, but every now and then I turn the key and I get a click, all the dash lights on, but no go. After I try to turn it over 1 or 2 more times she starts, but the clock resets like after I D/C the battery to work on my jeep. I replaced my stock battery for an Optima yellow cap, I'd say, 7 or 8k miles ago. It's a 6-spd too. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds like what happend to mine when the TIPM died everything worked but the jeep would not start
what is the TIPM? i think the ignition switch is broke it didnt feel that much resistance when i turned the key from when i usually do when it actually starts... but who knows now im just pissed cus last night i had it towed at around 8pm and they havent even looked at it yet and said it wont be in the shop till after lunch which is a little over 15 hrs later. which IMO is total Bull.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ahhh would that be considered part of the power train since its under the hood and has to work for the motor to run???

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
what is the TIPM? i think the ignition switch is broke it didnt feel that much resistance when i turned the key from when i usually do when it actually starts... but who knows now im just pissed cus last night i had it towed at around 8pm and they havent even looked at it yet and said it wont be in the shop till after lunch which is a little over 15 hrs later. which IMO is total Bull.
I just realized ur jeep is at the dealer. Even if they don't warranty it they are giving you a free diognostic. They will tell you exactly what they THINK is wrong. If it's the ignition switch, I think they can figure that out. I honestly wouldn't worry much until you hear from the dealer. Your issue can be due to several problems so the dealer diognose may steer us in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts