JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jeep LJ with a JKS track bar been real great unit it wore our recently. I rebuilt the JJ and replaced the factory OEM track bar bushing. It appears both are moving around which I know they should not move at all. I now have rebuilt the whole front of the Jeep chasing this issue and the track bar seems to be the biggest culprit. The OEM track bar bushing seems to be softer than the one I removed or they gave the wrong part but yet it was able to be pressed in. Whats your take?

YouTube - TJ Deathwobble Part II

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a Jeep LJ with a JKS track bar been real great unit it wore our recently. I rebuilt the JJ and replaced the factory OEM track bar bushing. It appears both are moving around which I know they should not move at all. I now have rebuilt the whole front of the Jeep chasing this issue and the track bar seems to be the biggest culprit. The OEM track bar bushing seems to be softer than the one I removed or they gave the wrong part but yet it was able to be pressed in. Whats your take?

YouTube - TJ Deathwobble Part II
I recently installed a Trail Master 4" kit on a friends TJ. Horrible death wobble on the 1st drive. Played with castor and toe-in. Rechecked everything we could think of.
Culprit turned out to be a bad TRE at the pitttman arm. No issues at stock height, but lifted BAD death wobble.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
It looks like you have too much angle on that bushing. The severity of the angle is loading up the bushing and when you turn the wheels one way the bushing is wanting to return to center on top and then when you turn the opposite way the bushing is wanting to return to center on the bottom only. I would try to find a spherical joint you can press into the same cup or weld a new cup on and install the spherical joint. my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Not sure of the dimensions but the Poly bushing that RE uses in their's may fit in place of the stock bushing. that would tighten it up quit a bit.
Also it seems like the JJ is loose.
Did you replace the inserts or just tear it down & lube it up?

Cut the stock TB bracket off,
Use this on the frame side: LINK

&

PPM-4305

Or re-use the JJ & turn it on its side. The bracket is 2-5/8" mounting width.
The bracket puts it in double shear instead of single. I think it would eliminate the twisting/deflection of frame.

Have you tried different tires & playing with the toe/caster?

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of the dimensions but the Poly bushing that RE uses in their's may fit in place of the stock bushing. that would tighten it up quit a bit.
Also it seems like the JJ is loose.
Did you replace the inserts or just tear it down & lube it up?

Cut the stock TB bracket off,
Use this on the frame side: LINK

&

PPM-4305

Or re-use the JJ & turn it on its side. The bracket is 2-5/8" mounting width.
The bracket puts it in double shear instead of single. I think it would eliminate the twisting/deflection of frame.

Have you tried different tires & playing with the toe/caster?
Thanks Thean all my issues were a combo of worn out parts and 3/4" of toe in! Reset to 1/8" all is well......actully was until i replaced the front ujoints and unit bearings now i have a steering wheel.wobble! Got to love owning a jeep!

Btw where's your yellow star? Lol

Jason

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Thanks Thean all my issues were a combo of worn out parts and 3/4" of toe in! Reset to 1/8" all is well......actully was until i replaced the front ujoints and unit bearings now i have a steering wheel.wobble! Got to love owning a jeep!

Btw where's your yellow star? Lol

Jason
Glad to hear its fixed!

The powers that be have been playing with my star color.
I'm pretty sure a star with a rainbow tail will be up there next. :thefinger:

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear its fixed!

The powers that be have been playing with my star color.
I'm pretty sure a star with a rainbow tail will be up there next. :thefinger:
How much to buy the tracbar bracket welded up says $40 on your site.

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts