JKOwners Forum banner

Jeep noob, few quick questions.

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  FuLcRuM 
#1 ·
I'm currently interested in a '09 Wrangler Unlimited with 65k miles. one of my other options is a FJ Cruiser with around the same miles.

how are Jeeps with higher mileage? (especially with the older engines) I'm not looking for something to beat the hell out of, maybe hit some trails with but nothing hardcore. I don't know if theres anything I should expect with an older model JK with that engine. it's priced pretty good for it so its tempting, but I'm not sure if the FJ might be a better choice. (btw, always loved Wranglers but have never owned an American car other than my '46 Ford)

thanks in advance for any help.

See less See more
#3 ·
$20,995 with almost 66k miles. they said it's priced to sell and doesn't look like theres much room to knock off the price. I wanted to stay in the 20k range so its not too far off for me. right now I have an '05 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Sport (my trade in) and bored to death with it.

#6 ·
according to the sales guy, there's no lift, just 33's. I was curious about the wheel/tire size because if I don't get this one, I really dig that set up (always loved the cheap black steel wheels). I have a bad knee so I didn't really want something crazy lifted. this Wrangler is about a 2 hour drive for me to go look at, so I was curious if its worth it to buy a Wrangler with this many miles on it before taking a trip.

I'm just sick of a RWD car in the snow (my midlife crisis Mercedes) and for me this Jeep is plenty big; considering the car below is my summer fun car and use to dodging everything in the road. :)

#5 ·
It really boils down to what you'd like to do with the rig. I have both: a 2009 JKRU and a 2013 FJ and both are great rigs. Both vehicles have about 58-59k miles on it and both have been very reliable engine wise (and other wise).
For crawling and other hard core wheeling, go with the Jeep, hands down.
-Solid front axle
-More aftermarket support
-Easier to get 35's on it

Now for a weekend wheeler (or more of an exploration rig) and DD, I'd go with the FJ, if you are going to stay with 33 inch tires:
-Better drive on the highway
-Has more power than the Jeep
-Lifts are generally more expensive for the FJ
-to go to 35's, there's a ton more work that needs to be done to get to that point.

Another thing about the Jeep, wherever you buy it, crawl underneath it to get a good look to see if it's been wheeled hard in the past: dented skid plates, damaged cross members, etc. as that may give you an indication on why it's priced to move.

#7 ·
thats part of my problem, I say I just want something that'll be better in the snow than what I have now and not looking to go climbing stuff or doing anything hardcore, but I know how I am with cars, all it takes is to find something new you love and pretty soon every extra dollar you have goes towards it.

my thing with the FJ was knowing its a Toyota, I've seen guys getting 300K miles on those things and still running like a champ, I just didn't know if a Jeep could be the same. my Mercedes just turned over 67k miles and know I still have a lot of life left in it, but expensive as shit if it breaks. with the Wrangler I just want something fun to drive, has more cargo space than I have and love that I can just rip the top off and enjoy a beautiful day.

and that was my concern too, how much abuse has that Jeep seen? in my eyes its just a Wrangler X with a cut front bumper, cut fenders and a set of 33's. can easily get that look on another Jeep and not sure if I should be looking into buying something newer. Anvil Wranglers make me drool. any idea of what that rim size might be? (size,width and offset?)

#10 ·
Understandable but from what I've seen on here and other forums, the engines on the Jeeps run pretty well and stout, it's the other items that go south first before the engine (ball joints is what comes to mind). It's ok to be suspect of the cut bumper and flares but also keep in mind it may have been a mall crawler and just make to look the part rather than wheeled hard.

#11 · (Edited)
Could possibly get someone local to the Jeep go look at it for you.

Obviously this being a Jeep site were gonna be biased some what.

If you were strictly looking at a DD and very light off roader with stock size tires, I might have to suggest the FJ over the Jeep. Overall the 3.8L (07-11) isn't a terrible engine, but it's not great either. Under powered, poor mileage, and I seriously doubt you would get 300K + out of one. If you can find a Jeep with a 3.6L (12 +), they have a bit more power and better mileage (considering it's a brick on wheels), but still doubt your gonna see many hit 300k.

If those are really 33's then the rims look like 15" steelies. I have 15" steelies on mine, but with 35's. Look like Crager D-Window steelies, which have an offset of -3.75 if I recall correctly.

They really look like 35's to me though with about a 2" lift.

If you plan on doing any lift at all and upgrading to larger tires, the JK is gonna be much easier and cheaper to upgrade then the FJ, it will also be more stout off road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.