JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden when I go to start my jeep its not starting right up its making this whining sound for a few seconds then starts ? Like something is spinning then it will start? Then sometimes it just starts ? Its cold here ? A few times it was just whining and spinning for quite a few secinds then it started, I dont want to get stuck . Any ideas ? Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
starter issue is what it sounds like. sounds like the starter shaft is spinning for a few seconds before bendex is plunged out to engage flywheel/flex plate. any kind of grinding at the split second it begins to crank? as in, starter shaft gear(while spinning) engaging with flywheel or flexplate teeth.

may be gummed up and being cold out some grease inside may be holdin it from plunging out. Happens with Harley Davidson starters, the jeep starter is identicle.

does it seem to happen more often during the first start of the day or sitting a long time, vs starting up from a short shut off, getting gas, whatever?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes , its worse in morning, after a few starts its better, amd just started in really comd days a few days ago

·
Registered
125 Posts
yeah that sounds about right. starter generally warms up from engine heat as you drive it and anything that may have been cold and gummed up frees itself once warm. if it continues i'd pull the starter and bench test it cold to see if the shaft is not plunging out. there are youtube videos on how to bench test it. need a battery and some jumper cables. you really dont want to start your jeep like that too many times because it'll eat up the gear on your starter and you'll need to replace it if it gets worn enough and possibly damage the flywheel in the process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts