JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,, driving home tonight,, actually 30 minutes ago, 1 mile from the house a large forest rat(deer) ran out into rt 903 in penn forest township(NE PA).. I braked and tried to avoid but it was determined to end its life.. I hit it square in the front and it flew forward a good 40 feet into a pile.. I pulled over about even with the critter.. She(I believe it was a doe but I really didnt check closely) lifted her head then dropped dead.. in the dark I think I fared well,, I just put on my mopar bumper and even tho I didnt like the grill guard/hoop,, I do now! Doesnt look like it even screwed up the homespun bedliner job on the bumper.. The drivers flare is screwed up a bit.. but can tell in the AM how bad.. The deer did not have a chance.. I'm real happy I put that bumper on.. now I'm all tensed up,, just getting over my head on with the old lady,, that just hit the one year anniversary march 15th.. brings back memories from that crash.. gotta call the ins co then a vodka/redbull is on order!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hey, at least your safe and OK.

Sounds like your jeep faired well too. Enjoy that drink!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Glad to hear your ok... the bumper did its job... had a buddy that hit a deer, jeep or deer didn't do well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sure glad you survived. Do you guys have those deer whistles available out there? I have them on all our cars and on several occasions have had deer running toward my car only to veer off at the last step.

Well, they seem to work for me and are only about 8 bucks (no pun intended).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Put me down on the list for some Deer Jerky:lol:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
glad that you are OK and that the Jeep appears to have faired well...

·
Registered
980 Posts
x's 2 on you being okay. And we have deer everywhere down here in the SE corner of the PA. Update us on the how the Jeep looks in the daylight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll post pics later today,, have to get my camera from a friend,, Well,, in the light,, bumper seams good,, some bedliner chipped,, and my a to z shackle mounts are chipped and have bone particles stuck to them.. The drivers flare is separated from the body near the front and twisted..so I'm not sure if its the flare or the steel fender.. I was told by the ins co not to take it apart,, but unless there is more than just a tweak and flare there shouldn't be any claim?
And the deer whistles? don't really work,, I've seen more cars/trucks with deer damage with them,, I think it scares them up and gets them running.. They say we have more deer related crashes up here than the rest of the state of Pa combined.. The locals call it deer alley..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
by the way,, simpleman,, nice avatar,, from W&G?

Oh,, and I ended up having three of those drinks,, slept well after that...

·
Registered
173 Posts
should have quartered it up and brought it home. hate to see delicious venison go to waste.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
should have quartered it up and brought it home. hate to see delicious venison go to waste.
It wasnt as solid as you would think,, seemed like a bag-o-meat with bones poking out.. I'll take mine with a gun,, unless I get a good headshot with jeep..

·
Registered
520 Posts
i ran OVER a deer the other day - i think it was a fawn. I was driving down a road and saw a deer cross. i looked at it and was thinking "cool, it made it". right then i look back at the road and THUD. i hit a deer - but it didn't go under the tires. i ran over it. i felt 2 thuds in the middle of the Jeep.

I turned around to check out the carnage and there was no deer. looked in the fields around the road and nothing. no blood under the jeep either.

only thing was some hairs that were static clung to the front bumber and all over the rear of my jeep. there was some slobber on the grill of the jeep - i wish i would have gotten a pic of that!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Glad to hear your okay....We have the same problem down here at Gettysburg with "BamBi":shocked::shocked:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
We have a old joke in my family. My father got more deer with a car than with his rifle.
Had a deer crash right into my sliding glass patio door right here in Philly several years ago. Scared the crap out of my wife, she was right on the other side of the door.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
^ Agreed. I've got 6 kills and 2 WIA's (deer), and 4 WIA's, 2 KIA's (cars). I always laugh at the local hunters- my buddy used to have a smokehouse up the street, so we'd have plenty of venison every year. I LOVED my old Fox-body because I paid $101 for it, and it killed 3 deer, and I sold $400 worth of venison from it :)
Glad to hear you're okay- hitting a deer sucks. Be ready to drive like a paranoid old lady for a while at night :) Mark W.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Where in Philly Mike ? When I was young and dumb we would drink in Pennypack all the time - frigging deer would scare the piss out of ya late at night. Then the suckers would get mad at you from time to time - and that is not a good thing :shaking:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I got one kill for a deer then an 18 wheeler turned it into pancake batter for me right after I hit it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hit one once with my old Expedition... basically no damage to my vehicle other than deer snot on the bumper, but the Caddilac behind me caught it and it got wedged between the front wheels. After she drug it for a quarter mile, the lady driving the thing got out and kept asking me what to do. I thought I'd help her pull it out, so I grabbed a leg and asked her to back up. You can imagine what happened... leg came off, but deer stayed wedged underneath. That thing was well tenderized. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
265 Posts
And the deer whistles? don't really work,, I've seen more cars/trucks with deer damage with them,, QUOTE]

I'm glad the Mule deer around here didn't get that memo! A good size buck was heading right into my pristine BJ70 and I figured he would take out the entire drivers side when he did a 180 right on the yellow line. I still can't believe he did that turn. I actually turned my head away from the windshield for the impact. I'm amazed that his antlers missed the rig.

That is the 3rd time I have had deer make a 180 away from my deer whistle equipped vehicles. I have not had a deer strike on any of my vehicles that have the whistles. They do have to be cleaned out regularly. If they get plugged up with ice, dirt, gook, etc.... they are no longer a whistle.

For under 10.00 I recommend them to anyone who drives in deer terrain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts