1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
It's a Nephilidae.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
I believe that's Latin for "This fucking thing catches BIRDS"!
Latin would be nephilengys cruentata.....

which probably means "This fucking thing catches BIRDS!" :)

I would love to have some of those around here.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
thats Nephila edulis, the giant australian golden silk spider :D

really cool, we have a very close relative in the southern US, they were all over florida and I see them occasionally in Tx - Nephila clavipes - they'll do almost as big as the palm of your hand.
The aussie guys are a little bigger - but you also gotta realize thats a tiny little finch its eating in the pic.

A lot of people in florida called them Banana spiders.

They're really mellow and laid back, hard to get one to bite

If you see a web for one - they'll sometimes be 10' wide, if you see it in the sun, the silk is actually gold colored - hence the name of the family - Golden Silk Spiders or Golden orb weavers.
The silk is also VERY strong.

Cool critters, cool pics

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
thats Nephila edulis, the giant australian golden silk spider :D

really cool, we have a very close relative in the southern US, they were all over florida and I see them occasionally in Tx - Nephila clavipes - they'll do almost as big as the palm of your hand.
The aussie guys are a little bigger - but you also gotta realize thats a tiny little finch its eating in the pic.

They're really mellow and laid back, hard to get one to bite

If you see a web for one - they'll sometimes be 10' wide, if you see it in the sun, the silk is actually gold colored - hence the name of the family - Golden Silk Spiders or Golden orb weavers.
The silk is also VERY strong.

Cool critters, cool pics

Ahhh yeah.. we got Banana spiders galore in FL... See em alot wheeling in Ocala. Not fun walking into one of their webs.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Whoa! Very cool! Do they eat birds on a regular basis or is that an oddity?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Cool spider... never seen one that big before.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Holly shit, never seen one of em before! Hard core bug.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
We have all the crazy shit in Florida...

The other night Jenna freaked out and was yelling.. "What The Hell Is That" when she walking into the dark foyer and saw this crawling across the ground..

thats called a fire beetle or Cucujo (Pyrophorus noctilucus), a type of click beetle
they are actually the brightest bioluminescent bugs in the world
cool as hell, and harmless

oh yeah, and as far as the spider eating birds, its pretty rare - they generally get by on insects but spiders are opportunists.
I've seen Nephila eat small birds and lizards, seen widows eat lizards and baby snakes.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Ahhh yeah.. we got Banana spiders galore in FL... See em alot wheeling in Ocala. Not fun walking into one of their webs.
That, my friend, is a major NO SHIT right there. I've walked right smack dab into a couple of those damn things. Next thing you know you feel like you're caught in a shrimp net and then you look up and see a spider the size of your head (well, it seems like it at the time!:thefinger:) staring at you.

F*ck that. :bawling:

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
You dont have to call us people - just call us ********. I have an entomologist friend I occasionally hike with who gets pissed when I call em banana spiders. "No you stupid fucking *******, they are golden orb weavers!"

My other friend, after nearly a decade of backpacking with me, still hasn't figured out why I always let him lead when we start hiking in the morning. Let that dumbass run into those webs built overnight ;).

My wife took these pics - somebitch was as big as my hand...

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
We used to have a ton of those Golden Orb Weavers in the back yard as a kid. I always had to be onthe lookout when cutting grass by the tree line. They would use the outstretched tree limbs as a jumping off point for slinging webs.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts