JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the rear driveshaft replaced by a JE REEL driveshaft about two months ago. But now I am experiencing a loud squeaking noise coming from the rear driveshaft. I lubed the driveshaft, but the very next day the squeaking noise came right back… Very annoying.. Any suggestions??????

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep... after two water crossing and then running through sand a short while it started... I know it is the rear driveshaft (double cardin joint), because I was stupid enough to get underneath it and have my son pull me 'SLOWLY' down the street on his longboard skateboard so I could identify where the noise was coming from...

Was it after wheelin. Sounds like a u-joint.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't lube them since they were put on new 2 months ago... The yokes where changed... So, yes I lubed them after the squeal...

Did you have to change the yokes? Did you keep the u-joints lubed or did you just lube them after you heard the squeal?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I haven't lube them since they were put on new 2 months ago... The yokes where changed... So, yes I lubed them after the squeal...
I would pull the shaft and rotate the joints to see if any have rough spots. Have you checked the rear brakes to male sure you don't have a rock in between the dust shield and rotor, I had a rock wedged in the caliper that was rubbing on the rotor. When you remove the shaft jack the rear wheels off the ground and rotate the pinion to make sure nothing is wrong with those bearings. One of these should land the squeal.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bodyguy... Thanks...

I would pull the shaft and rotate the joints to see if any have rough spots. Have you checked the rear brakes to male sure you don't have a rock in between the dust shield and rotor, I had a rock wedged in the caliper that was rubbing on the rotor. When you remove the shaft jack the rear wheels off the ground and rotate the pinion to make sure nothing is wrong with those bearings. One of these should land the squeal.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had my front one start making noise on my way back from Moab last spring. At the time, I only had a couple thousand miles on the JK and almost the same on the driveshaft. It was the double cardin joint. I had it replaced in Salt Lake and haven't had any problems since.

The drive shafts come pre-lubed, but it's always a good idea to check before installing them ... not sure if the shop that installed mine did or not. JE Reel ended up covering it under warranty for me. They were great to work with!

Sounds like you have pinpointed the noise, so I'd give them a call. Any picts of the troubleshooting - longboard style? :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope.. No pictures.. But I told my son he'd pay if he ran over me....:thefinger:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I just replaced my rear driveshaft. Had the same squeel and thought it was the brakes.

Being new to modified vehicles, I had no clue that you have to keep these double cardin joints lubed! JEReel didn't mention it, and neither did the shop that did the install. So 9 months later (three months out of warranty-) and 400 bucks, I now have a custom drive shaft and a new double cardin, etc. Guess its ok, since I was also 1.5 inches short on the driveshaft length to begin with. (Northridge)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I had a similar problem with my XJ... it was the front cardigan joint, had it rebuilt, new u-joints, put it back on and no problems since.:grinpimp:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts