JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just installed a new front driveshaft (JE Reel 1310 OE flange version) and was wondering if they pre-lube all of the zerk fittings? I was so eager to get it installed that I just plain forget to lube it on my bench. I was able to lube all of the u-joints while installed but can't get the centering ball. If they are already lubed then I don't have take it back out. I am still messing with pinion angle but it seems to work pretty well with only a slight vibe at around 75-80 MPH (stock 4:10 gears and 32's and 3" lift). I'm at a little under 5 degrees pinion angle. I have adjustable lower control arms so I'll take out a little more length. Thanks for your input. :beer:
Jeff

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you know what lube was used? Did the documentation say something? I bought this from the classified section (thanks vegasjeep). It was brand new (never installed) but didn't get any documentation with it.

BTW... what pinion angle did you end up running? What's your setup (4/2 door, tranny, lift height, etc)? Any vibes? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
if you don't see red goop squishing out of the u-joints, then you should do it, just to be safe.
X2 It takes a couple of minutes to lube it up. The grease fittings on the centering ball part of the double cardan are much easier to lube with the shaft off the vehicle.

Pinion angle will vary with lift kit, axle position, gear ratio, etc, but I found anything over 5° created drive line vibration (4.5" lift, 37's, 4.88's).

This may or may not be useful:

http://www.trailduty.com/temp/pinion_angle.pdf

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Phil. I have been reading many of your posts regarding pinion / caster angle. Great info! Looks like it is pretty much a trial and error procedure to get the best of both worlds (caster vs. pinion angle).

BTW... where on the axle are you measuring the caster angle? I have been putting the angle finder on the flat spot under the knuckle "C". I am measuring the pinion angle from the flat spot of the flange and the drive shaft tube. Just wanted to make sure it is accurate. I'll pull the drive shaft off and lube it up tonight. Thanks for the help!
Jeff

·
Registered
630 Posts
every D/S i have installed from them has been lubed. Some have no excess on them but has soon as i hit it with the grease gun it seems to come right out. Peace of mind I would grease it to be sure.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
How did you know what lube was used? Did the documentation say something? I bought this from the classified section (thanks vegasjeep). It was brand new (never installed) but didn't get any documentation with it.

BTW... what pinion angle did you end up running? What's your setup (4/2 door, tranny, lift height, etc)? Any vibes? Thanks!
I didn't want to mix greases so I called and asked...
I have a 2-dr, manual, 3" lift. I am running 1350 HD's front and rear. The rear is a double cardan so the rear axle is tilted to line the shaft with the cardan joint. The front I didn't change. The front diff and front output shaft on the Tcase are pretty close to parallel.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am still playing around with the pinion angle to get rid those damn vibes. :bawling: I have the pinion angle down to 2.8 degrees which puts my caster at 2.5 degrees. I still get a slight vibe at 80 MPH. Are you guys getting slight vibes still? I am wondering if it is possible to totally eliminate the vibe? Anyone have an issue with the JE 1310 OE driveshaft out of balance? I really don't want to lose anymore caster.

I was reading somewhere that some stock flanges were out of true. Anyone have details on that? How did you determine it was out of true? Thanks for your help!

Jeff

·
Registered
771 Posts
Take your DS out. Drive it around to see if the vibes are still there. I would say your vibes are not from the front DS. The front is a very long DS, you should be able to get away with more than what you have it set at. I'm running 3.25 lift on my unlimited and did adjust anything when I installed my J.E Real DS. The unlimited nad the 2 door have the same front DS.

Are you pointing the pinion at the tcase???

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I am still playing around with the pinion angle to get rid those damn vibes. :bawling: I have the pinion angle down to 2.8 degrees which puts my caster at 2.5 degrees.
That doesn't sound right, I get caster around 1° with a 5° pinion angle. How much lift do you have?

Are you guys getting slight vibes still? I am wondering if it is possible to totally eliminate the vibe?
It is possible to eliminate all but the slightest amount of vibration.

Anyone have an issue with the JE 1310 OE driveshaft out of balance? I really don't want to lose anymore caster.
Haven't heard of any been out of balance, but some of the factory falnges are out of true and may cause issues.

I was reading somewhere that some stock flanges were out of true. Anyone have details on that? How did you determine it was out of true? Thanks for your help!
Call Jim at JE Reel, he can give you more info and suggest ways of sorting it out.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
you shouldn't have to lower caster all the way to 2.5 to get rid of the vibes. are you sure it's the front DS?

the vibes could be from tires out of balance....could be rear DS.....

do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel, or in the seat? assuming it's driveline vibs, steering wheel usually means vibs from the front DS, vibs in the seat usually mean rear DS.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take your DS out. Drive it around to see if the vibes are still there. I would say your vibes are not from the front DS.
Yeah, I did that already. It is definitely the front drive shaft. In fact I was running the stocker at 6 degrees pinion angle for quite a while before I upgraded.

That doesn't sound right, I get caster around 1° with a 5° pinion angle. How much lift do you have?
I only have 3" poly lift springs and Currie adjustable lowers. I believe you are running 4.5" springs, correct? I think our differences are lift height.

Haven't heard of any been out of balance, but some of the factory falnges are out of true and may cause issues.

Call Jim at JE Reel, he can give you more info and suggest ways of sorting it out.
I'll call Jim today. The good news is he is really close to me so I can visit his shop if needed! I'll post up anything I find out. The fun continues! :D Thanks guys!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got off the phone with Jim at JE Reel. What a cool guy! I must have talked to him for 30 minutes. He said the angles I am running are fine but I could experiment with less angle. (not a long term solution since Caster will suffer) Some of the other possibilities are:

1) Driveshaft out of balance.
2) OE flange at the pinion out of true. Apparently he has seen several hundred OE flanges out of true when he used them for the 1350 driveshaft kit in the rear. He now uses his own 1350 pinion yoke.

He offered to re-balance for free which I am going to take him up on the offer. If that doesn't fix the problem, he could lengthen my driveshaft and sell me the 1310 yokes for the pinion and TC to eliminate out of true flanges. Now I am wishing I did that in the first place!

I have to say... Great service from JE Reel!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I just got off the phone with Jim at JE Reel. What a cool guy! I must have talked to him for 30 minutes. He said the angles I am running are fine but I could experiment with less angle. (not a long term solution since Caster will suffer) Some of the other possibilities are:

1) Driveshaft out of balance.
2) OE flange at the pinion out of true. Apparently he has seen several hundred OE flanges out of true when he used them for the 1350 driveshaft kit in the rear. He now uses his own 1350 pinion yoke.

He offered to re-balance for free which I am going to take him up on the offer. If that doesn't fix the problem, he could lengthen my driveshaft and sell me the 1310 yokes for the pinion and TC to eliminate out of true flanges. Now I am wishing I did that in the first place!

I have to say... Great service from JE Reel!

Jeff
I had one of the first bad batch's of 1350 shafts, Jim went above and beyond any expectation to make it right, he is a great person,

THANKS JIM

See you @ the Spark of Love gathering. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.