JKOwners Forum banner

jack ?? and recovery strap ??

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  2stoned 
#1 ·
i have a 2.5 terraflex coil lift and 33s on a 4 door,do i need a special jack if i get a flat?? and i want to buy rugged ridge recovery strap,they come in 2 ,3 ,4 inches 20,30,and 40 thousand lbs weight pull,can i use the 2 inch or should i get thicker strap?? thanks

#2 ·
I think you'll be good with your stock jack on 33's. If anything, you might need a small block of wood underneath it, but I don't think you will.

A 20k pound strap should be more than enough for your purposes. FWIW, if you're looking for something for mud recovery, then you're probably gonna wanna look for a "snatch" strap -vs- a tow strap. Snatch straps stretch to aid in the recovery. Trust me, if you're gonna need to get any kind of a run at it to pull someone out, you want that thing to stretch. I had to pull a dead JK up a hill at Rausch and all we had were tow straps. Felt like I was runnin' into a brick wall over and over when I was trying to get him going from a dead stop up the hill.

#3 ·
With your set-up, the stock jack will work, but IMHO, I like bottle jacks better (the 12 ton ones) for changing tires, and they are cheap and take up little space.

A good 3" strap should be good. Jeeperjkj brought up a great point; the difference between a snatch strap and a tow strap. A snatch strap is a MANDATORY trail item IMO and something that gets a lot of use if you start doing harder trails. I carry a tow strap too, but have only used it twice.

Also NEVER get ANY strap that has hooks on the ends, always get the ones with loops on both ends. Whenever someone pulls out one of those Walmart straps with hooks on it and tries to hook up to my bumper, i say "no way".

Also don't forget to buy D-rings to hook the strap to. You should buy 2 (if your front and rear bumper don't already have them).

In my experience, the cheap straps like Pro-comp and Smitty don't last long till they start fraying. Get a good one, like an ARB, and it will last for many years.

#5 · (Edited)
Be careful

You have already been given some good advise here, but let me give you some anyway.
Be careful!
- - Remember to block the wheels (more than one and please do block in both directions) when lifting your vehicle.
- - Do not crawl under your vehicle when it is liftet by your jack.
- - Kinetic (elastic)/(snatch) straps/rope can hold a lot of energy.
- When using a kinetic strap/rope, you must use a strap/rope designed for the energy you are going to apply to it.
Kinetic straps stretch around 20%, Kinetic ropes around 30%.
- For light duty; 4 to 5 or so times your rescue-vehicle weight. (20K#)
Start with 1 yard of slack and do not go faster than nessesary. If it does not do the job, try again with more speed. Better to go several times than to break something.
- For heavier duty (serious stuck); 6 to 7 or so times your rescue-vehicle weight. (30K#)
You can start with more slack to gain more speed, but remember that the energy in that strap is huge.
- Never use a worn strap/rope. If it breaks it may very well kill someone.
Keep people clear out of reach of the strap if it breaks.
- Use only rated hardware and recovery points.
- Do not cheap out on this gear. Cheap stuff may kill you or someone you care about.
- Never hook up to a point you are not sure will hold.
- Always check if someone else is hooking up. Too many cowboys out there.
- Never interconnect two kinetic straps/ropes with metal hardware.
- Never interconnect two kinetic straps/ropes of different strength.
- Never use a non kinetic strap/rope in a kinetic recovery.
- Tow straps are for towing, not recovery. They are not strong enough.
Enough for now :)
PS: Please be careful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.