JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I am going to drop in the hemi soon... It is just a matter of time. The rest of the jeep is already built (60's and a bunch of other stuff), but it is slow as hell... From what I have heard it is about 30-60 hours of install time and not all that difficult. I am going to try to piece together the parts myself (hopefully with advice from guys on this forum) to try and get the total cost down so that maybe other folks can attempt to do it themselves as well. :beer:

This is what I have so far and I will be modifying this list as I purchase the items. I need your guy's help in finding the best deals. The is no way in hell I am gonna pay a shop $24,000 as I am fairly confident it can be done for about $14,000 + labor.

1. 6.1 Hemi crate motor (LX SRT8): Mopar Part # RL037400CA $5936.70 from Moparsupercenter.com
  2. Engine core charge: $1000
  3. Shipping and/or Tax for motor: TBD
  4. Getrag 238 6 speed manual transmission: Mopar Part # 52104713AC $1,868.75 from Moparpartsamerica.com
  5. A/C Compressor: Mopar Part # 55111414AA $386.40 from Moparpartsamerica.com
  6. Alternator: Mopar Part # 56044380AI $284.40 from Moparpartsamerica.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AEV kit may be the route I go, but I am going to round up the other parts first. The 6.1 and a manual can be done, I just don't believe AEV has it out quite yet. The transmission out of a Dodge Dakota is what is used...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why a Hemi? I may be off base here and if I am please let me know, but why not the 318 they put in the Dakota. It's simple. It's as tough and reliable as a brick. It's a two valve push rod engine which means big torque at low RPM. It's much smaller than a Hemi (smaller heads). It's cheaper and parts are as easy to find as a small block chevy. I know it sounds sexy to say you have a Hemi, but for off road use, I would think the old 318 would be the ticket.

Standing by to be educated:D

Andy

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well if you are going to put a 318 in why not a Chevy 350... or a Chevy 305... or a Ford 351? They all have cheap parts are reliable etc...

Dude its a Hemi. That what he wants. Maybe you buy Fruit of the Loom they to are reliable and cheap, but I like Hanes!

I would have a Hemi too if I wasn't a broke a$$.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Love to see what that thing is going to do on the trails!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why a Hemi? I may be off base here and if I am please let me know, but why not the 318 they put in the Dakota. It's simple. It's as tough and reliable as a brick. It's a two valve push rod engine which means big torque at low RPM. It's much smaller than a Hemi (smaller heads). It's cheaper and parts are as easy to find as a small block chevy. I know it sounds sexy to say you have a Hemi, but for off road use, I would think the old 318 would be the ticket.

Standing by to be educated:D

Andy
Lots of it has to do with State laws regarding engine swaps and the fact that major computer issues with other engines.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For months now I have been thinking about this mod... I really thought the 6.1was the route to go, but hear me out on this... The 6.1 has 425 hp right.. Well the new 2009 (truck version) has 390 hp right and has the MDS... That means better fuel economy with hp ratings pretty close. The 5.7 would be about $3,500 cheaper... hmmm... A truck motor can be used, not necessarily with the AEV kit though.

http://http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh I also just relized the 5.7 MDS can run on 87 octane.... hmmm.... I really thought a 6.1 was the route I wanted to go but the 5.7 has the best value IMHO>>>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts