·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The new Nav system was/is developed by Garmin, which explains why the MyGig's screen matches that of my Nuvi. So, it would only make sense for Garmin to use the maps they use in their own units.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Be nice if we could get the software/maps to make our current '07-'10 Mygigs run the Garmin programming and maps.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
does anyone know if the units are interchangeable? Can I put a 2011 MyGig in a 2007 JK? The topo maps would be handy here in the mountains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
does anyone know if the units are interchangeable? Can I put a 2011 MyGig in a 2007 JK? The topo maps would be handy here in the mountains.
2007 shouldn't be a problem. Lot of good data available from the reputable sellers on ebay regarding Fit--Just put a 2011 RHB/430N in my 08 JK; however, It has was not without some ass pain. While form and Fit was no problem, seems 2011 was the first year for the single integrated antenna for both SAT and GPS. The antenna i got with the unit worked fine except that it had a 12 inch whip designed for roof mount. Initially i stuck it inside and behind the pax dash, but, while the GPS was fine i could not get good enough SAT reception. I have one coming now that is same as the ones installed on the 2011 Jeeps with same unit that I expect will work with no problem.

Only other problem has been getting the lockpick to work. Coastaltech finally got a patch out that should enable the functionality (video on motion, POIs on motion and Fnt/Rear cams) for this unit.

Biggest drawback now besides the price of new ones and availability of used ones, is the fact they are so new and not even the MYGIG geeks seem to know much about them.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
The Term My gig was ditched in 2009....Uconnect GPS was adopted. Now as mentioned the Garmin Nav is called the 430N radio which is a old REN with Nav.

Just to be politically correct.

Jason

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thats my Jeep, and its just the stock GPS program. Topo maps are supposed to be available for the new Garmin GPS unit, but I haven't tried to find them yet.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Thats my Jeep, and its just the stock GPS program. Topo maps are supposed to be available for the new Garmin GPS unit, but I haven't tried to find them yet.
What do you mean you haven't tried to find them? It is them. It's obviously showing contours. I just wonder if it actually will tell you elevation.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I never understood how they could sell a Rubicon model and only have street maps on it, WTF Chrysler?????

·
Registered
227 Posts
What do you mean you haven't tried to find them? It is them. It's obviously showing contours. I just wonder if it actually will tell you elevation.
What do you mean if it actually will tell you elevation? It's obviously showing elevation;)

Bottom left corner of nav display - along w/ speed as well which my 2010 uconnect (mygig or whateverthehellyouwannacallit) does not:beer:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I mean highly detailed topo maps, which are downloadable from Garmin, and much better detail than seen on that GPS screen. If you zoom in on that GPS display the topo details go away with the stock setup. With the downloadable maps you get even more detail when you zoom in.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
2007 shouldn't be a problem. Lot of good data available from the reputable sellers on ebay regarding Fit--Just put a 2011 RHB/430N in my 08 JK; however, It has was not without some ass pain. While form and Fit was no problem, seems 2011 was the first year for the single integrated antenna for both SAT and GPS. The antenna i got with the unit worked fine except that it had a 12 inch whip designed for roof mount. Initially i stuck it inside and behind the pax dash, but, while the GPS was fine i could not get good enough SAT reception. I have one coming now that is same as the ones installed on the 2011 Jeeps with same unit that I expect will work with no problem.

Only other problem has been getting the lockpick to work. Coastaltech finally got a patch out that should enable the functionality (video on motion, POIs on motion and Fnt/Rear cams) for this unit.

Biggest drawback now besides the price of new ones and availability of used ones, is the fact they are so new and not even the MYGIG geeks seem to know much about them.

Good luck!!

Did you have to do any star scans at the dealer to get the new 430N to work in your '08? Very interested in doing the swap to mine.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
What do you mean if it actually will tell you elevation? It's obviously showing elevation;)

Bottom left corner of nav display - along w/ speed as well which my 2010 uconnect (mygig or whateverthehellyouwannacallit) does not:beer:
Lol. :thefinger: I mean can you pick a location and see elevation? Or look at multiple locations elevation to get a better idea of terrain beyond the different shades.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I mean can you pick a location and see elevation? Or look at multiple locations elevation to get a better idea of terrain beyond the different shades.
No.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No, fellas, the pic by the OP looks like a "terrain" layer of the Google maps. A topographical map has terrain elevation lines. These are topographical maps

They are for Rausch Creek and The Pine Barrens. I got them made from a sweet website called MyTopo.com. You can custom make maps for any of your wheeling (or hunting) spots.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Madmyk...

My Oregon GPS. will show the lines, and / or just the shaded terrain. The picture shows the shaded areas, as you stated, but on mine I'm able to aslo scroll around and look at elevations and the lines of a standard topo map. Seeing as the factory radio is also Garmin, I was thinking it maybe was able to do both as well, like my Oregon does.

Even still, I wouldn't personally pay for that radio / nav unit. I prefer a stand alone GPS.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts