JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
V8 dreams
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i'm about to buy a new lift, front driveshaft is about to go so i'm just gonna redo the entire suspension as opposed to buying control arms, more than likely gonna be a RK 3.5...

where i struggle is which one do i get?

3.5 max travel, consisting of a mid-arm package

or

3.5 long arm

i have read numerous threads about what some think or don't think is good about long arms and to be honest it just confuses me and i don't know who to believe.

i do alot of highway driving on 35s, and if i still have this JK (have been staring at stigo's for sale thread) I will jump to 37 when the time comes.

my jeep has seen the trail 5 times now, but nothing too crazy. i'm still learning.

i guess my questions are, will i regret not spending a couple hundred more bucks and getting the LA? do i even need it?

if i decide i want them later the upgrade is over 1k, to do it right off the bat looks like an extra $300-$400

just looking for facts, opinions, superstition, paper rock scissors, experience, rationale that would make you do one or the other.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As far as cost is concerned, labor to install a long arm kit will be quite a bit more since you have to do a lot of cutting and welding. If you were to go mid arm first and then decide to go long arm later you could always sell the control arms to get some of the money back. Also RK's mid arm kit flexes like crazy and should be plenty for most wheelers.

·
V8 dreams
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as cost is concerned, labor to install a long arm kit will be quite a bit more since you have to do a lot of cutting and welding. If you were to go mid arm first and then decide to go long arm later you could always sell the control arms to get some of the money back. Also RK's mid arm kit flexes like crazy and should be plenty for most wheelers.
i have not thought once about selling the mid arms to recoup some of the cost...good point

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
That 3.5 RK midarm system is really flexy. I'd go with it just because the performance difference between that and a long arm isn't worth the additional install work needed. All just my oppinion:beer:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I agree with texaskev. I have never wanted more flex than what I have with my mid arm kit.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I'd agree with the sentiments above that a long arm isn't needed. You'll be plenty happy with the mid arm and flex it gives you.

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

·
V8 dreams
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 3.5 max travel is the way i was leaning. i'm just wanting this lift to be the last one...for awhile anyway...and a good one at that.

i originally bought the rancho because it was dirt fuckin cheap and i couldn't stand my stock height JK anymore. and not that its been a bad lift, but it doesn't come with control arms so i have no way to keep my front driveshaft happy

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
googled rock krawler 3.5 flex and found this pic of their mid arm. Looks like it flexs pretty good.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
ok so i'm about to buy a new lift, front driveshaft is about to go so i'm just gonna redo the entire suspension as opposed to buying control arms, more than likely gonna be a RK 3.5...

where i struggle is which one do i get?

3.5 max travel, consisting of a mid-arm package

or

3.5 long arm

i have read numerous threads about what some think or don't think is good about long arms and to be honest it just confuses me and i don't know who to believe.

i do alot of highway driving on 35s, and if i still have this JK (have been staring at stigo's for sale thread) I will jump to 37 when the time comes.

my jeep has seen the trail 5 times now, but nothing too crazy. i'm still learning.

i guess my questions are, will i regret not spending a couple hundred more bucks and getting the LA? do i even need it?

if i decide i want them later the upgrade is over 1k, to do it right off the bat looks like an extra $300-$400

just looking for facts, opinions, superstition, paper rock scissors, experience, rationale that would make you do one or the other.
Sir,

From what it seems you will be doing with your rig the 3.5 mid arm kits are going to be right up your alley! The mid arm does indeed flex amazingly, and if at a later date you did choose you wanted to do a long arm you can just purchase the upgrade. All of your other componants will carry over to the long arm kit.

Here is a pic of our SEMA JKU sitting on a 3.5 X-factor mid arm kit with 37's and PSC's tube fenders.

Thanks,
RK

·
V8 dreams
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes it looks plenty flexy...thanks guys. we recently installed that kit on my buddy's jk but have yet to do anything but take it for a spin down the road...a work in progress i should say. looks like i just need to get my taxes done now so i have some $$...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sir,

From what it seems you will be doing with your rig the 3.5 mid arm kits are going to be right up your alley! The mid arm does indeed flex amazingly, and if at a later date you did choose you wanted to do a long arm you can just purchase the upgrade. All of your other componants will carry over to the long arm kit.

Here is a pic of our SEMA JKU sitting on a 3.5 X-factor mid arm kit with 37's and PSC's tube fenders.

Thanks,
RK
Awesome flex pic. where do you get 37" Grabbers?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Damn that looks nice and exactly like what I want to do. Are those 37's?

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Looks great!!

I still need to get the rear control arms so I can push the axle back a tad on mine. Have the RK arms up front and love them.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts