JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...film photo equipment any more?

The wife has been complaining pretty heavily latelyabout the "chintzy" digital slr that she gets to shoot with, a digital rebel xt. I've got the Canon 40D and by comparison it's a big step up in ease of use and quality.

I told her, start selling all your old film gear and we'll put that toward a new body/lens combo.

So now that begs the question of is there even a market out there for film camera gear? She's got camera bodies (canon & minolta) associated lenses, photo lab equipment and an enlarger. I guess the big question is simply, is there any value to any of it?

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
I think at this point, it's more of a niche artform since anyone with a digicam can head out and start snapping away (myself included).

It takes someone who's part photographer, part chemist, part graphic designer to get the layout just right to really appreciate the work that goes into making a perfect print.

Just not as many people around doing it anymore. Hopefully, this will work in your favor and the film production gear will be worth more.

Hope it works out.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing.

It's going to take a special sort of person to utilize and enjoy that equipment.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Yup, you might be on the market with the equipment for awhile, but you should figure out what it's worth and price it accordingly.

Remember that value isn't defined by what you already paid for something, but rather what someone else will pay for what you're selling.

Hop it works out.:beer:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
If I had the right room for it I would love to set up a darkroom. I love the whole process of film developing

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember that value isn't defined by what you already paid for something, but rather what someone else will pay for what you're selling.
Now if only all the ass clowns on craigslist trying to sell the stock sahara wheel/tire take-offs for $1000 would understand that... :shaking:

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Now if only all the ass clowns on craigslist trying to sell the stock sahara wheel/tire take-offs for $1000 would understand that... :shaking:
Let me know how that last bit works out. Some things will never change...

"But theyz only gotz 10,000 milez on dem, yo. And deeze is 18 inch RIMZZZZ!!! Datz almost a DUB"

*SLAP*

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
the lens might be worth more, as alot of them will still work on dslr cameras. i used to develope my own film way back, i liked doing it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
It's Niche but it's there! My 15 year old daughter only shoots film and believe me she has ALOT of digital equipment. She has 2 EOS 1s that she doesn't even touch.

A few months ago we drove to an auction just so I could get her 60 Rolls of 110 Film (Yes, 110) and a 25 Pack Box of Kodak Disk Film ( YEP, Fucking Disk Film!)

She thinks I'm a total loser for shooting digital!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I still have chemicals and a 4 roll (35mm carriers) developer tank...

I also have a darkroom door that is sitting collecting dust. Don't have the time anymore.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
5 years ago my buddy swore film was still where its at and that he would continue to utilize it and his dark room for his picture taking. He is now fully digital, and his darkroom was converted to a bathroom in his basement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts