JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a shop install my power steering cooler and I think they put it on the high pressure line instead of the low. I even had an8 to 3/8"fittings that they didn't use :( Is this okay? Steering does feel a little better, though maybe that's just placebo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
955 Posts
No, you cannot put coolers on a high pressure line. Nothing there looks good. Not only is the cooler potentially going to blow out, but there are hose clamp junctions on what's probably low pressure rubber hose. There's just a lot of disasters there if it really is on the high pressure line.

I imagine you could make it fail by taking the steering wheel to full lock (I'd only do this when the engine is cool, otherwise you could start a fire when it blows out shooting oil everywhere). If it doesn't fail, it probably will some day.

To confirm it really is on the high pressure line, check where the output of the cooler goes. If it goes to the pump, it's high pressure line. If it goes to the reservoir, it's low pressure line and fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, you cannot put coolers on a high pressure line. Nothing there looks good. Not only is the cooler potentially going to blow out, but there are hose clamp junctions on what's probably low pressure rubber hose. There's just a lot of disasters there if it really is on the high pressure line.

I imagine you could make it fail by taking the steering wheel to full lock (I'd only do this when the engine is cool, otherwise you could start a fire when it blows out shooting oil everywhere). If it doesn't fail, it probably will some day.

To confirm it really is on the high pressure line, check where the output of the cooler goes. If it goes to the pump, it's high pressure line. If it goes to the reservoir, it's low pressure line and fine.
Ok looks like it's between the box and reservoir. Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts