JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not new, but US News.com reports one week for Chrysler to make a deal with Fiat or Chapter 11. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Chapter 11 may be good for them. Chrysler is owned by a private hedge fund, the government should not be involved in bailing out hedge funds in my view.

Jeep is not dead and is most probably the most desirable marque in the Chrysler stable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeep Dead?

I agree, Jeep is the mainstay of 4Wheel drive in the US and the oldest continunious model available, but, I'm still not going to replace my hood :pissed:Jeep letters with FIAT! No way!:shaking:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Jeep will be fine and either find a new home or get worked out, your warrantly, on the other hand, likely won't be.

Obama's plan will take care of the UAW's pension, health insurance and other benefits if Chrysler is forced into bankruptcy but old warranties won't be.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I still think WE the jeep owner of america should own Jeep. Make it a co-op type deal. I could be done!:beer:

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Jeep will be fine so will dodge and chrysler, The bankruptcy plan will likely happen to get the Fiat deal done. All the existing Lifetime warranties will be fine as long as Jeep does not shut down and that will not happen.

Important Announcement to all Chrysler Customers

In these difficult economic times, it is important to have peace of mind when
making a significant purchase, like a new car or truck. At Chrysler, we are happy
to inform our customers that on Monday, March 30th, President Obama
announced a plan to provide a government backed "Warranty Commitment
Program".
In summary, the key points from the President's announcement are:
• Government backing of warranty starts with vehicles purchased on or after
March 30, 2009.
• The program will cover the participating manufacturer's warranty on every
new car sold during the company's restructuring period.
• If you buy a new Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle during this restructuring
period you will be eligible.
• You do not have to do anything to receive the U.S. commitment to your
warranty, it is automatic.
• The U.S. Treasury will back your warranty, and will commit to honoring the
warranty in the event that the manufacturer cannot.
Today Chrysler has the best quality in its 84 year history. 73% of our vehicles
have improved fuel efficiency over the past year. There has never been a better
time than today to purchase a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Jeep will be fine so will dodge and chrysler, The bankruptcy plan will likely happen to get the Fiat deal done. All the existing Lifetime warranties will be fine as long as Jeep does not shut down and that will not happen.
if bankruptcy happens, which is what the Treasury is now pushing for, existing owners' warranties will NOT be a part of the .gov backed warranty program

show me where Obama has said that existing owners will survive the bankruptcy

·
Registered
14 Posts
As I understand it, the Fiat relationship would only be 30% of overall Chrysler. Unforetunately, though, if they do file Chapter 11, it would wipe out pretty much all the equity holders - including Cerebus...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I still think WE the jeep owner of america should own Jeep. Make it a co-op type deal. I could be done!:beer:
As soon as they reorganize, buy whatever publicly traded stock is available in either the new Chrysler or whatever parent company they end up with. Then you will be one of the owners.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
if bankruptcy happens, which is what the Treasury is now pushing for, existing owners' warranties will NOT be a part of the .gov backed warranty program

show me where Obama has said that existing owners will survive the bankruptcy
He didn't, this press release is to reassure possible consumers that if they buy our product they will be covered. Like I said in the other thread Jeep would have to cease to exist to cancel warranties that have already been issued and that will not happen.

Jason

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
He didn't, this press release is to reassure possible consumers that if they buy our product they will be covered. Like I said in the other thread Jeep would have to cease to exist to cancel warranties that have already been issued and that will not happen.

Jason
so, what's the point of the .gov warranty program if it's going to remain intact?

it specifically states in the release "during the restructuring"

that's because during restructuring liabilities, such as a warranty, do not have to be covered.

the existing warranties will be junk.... the point of the release is to tell a new buyer that theirs won't be

·
Registered
479 Posts
the unions have all US automakers by the balls, and BK is the only way to rid the unions control, and allow the company to reformulate under todays scenarios vs the industrial age scenarios. BK is no fun, but can have its positives for viable businesses.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
the unions have all US automakers by the balls, and BK is the only way to rid the unions control, and allow the company to reformulate under todays scenarios vs the industrial age scenarios. BK is no fun, but can have its positives for viable businesses.
not in this case.

Treasury is forcing Chrysler into bankruptcy but is sealing up all of the benefits to the UAW so that they are protected. The UAW is exhibiting more control than ever and will forever be beholden to this administration.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Paragon, Do you really think that Chrysler is going to say FU to all the current owners of their products? I don't, and yes the press release does indicate that new owners are Gov backed so Chrysler can get consumer confidence up. Like I said the company would have to go copletely under for current warranties to be voided, chapter 11 will not void warranties. Obviousley Chrysler can discontinue future lifetime programs.

Jason

·
Registered
38 Posts
true, but it still leaves me with a very uneasy feeling the government is going to tell a private business to file bankruptcy, kind of like firing the CEO of a company.....we'll be left out

1 - 20 of 35 Posts