JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold the Raptor and joined the wonderful world of "everyone waves when you drive by"!.

I bought a 2009 JKU the first week of January and I love it. The kids love the removable top and "climbing" to get in.

The factory stereo is light years behind the factory Ford Sync stuff though.

I updated the firmware on my MyGIG, loaded the hard drive, and still find myself with my phone plugged in all to the AUX port all the time.

So I had a great idea, Stick a phone in it all the time. One that doesn't cost $200 to update the NAV and has a beautiful BIG screen.

Did some searches and a couple guys have made custom iPad mounts that have been sweet, but just for themselves. So here we go....(My Brother-in-law owns a fabrication business that specializes in Land Cruisers)

The pics below are the prototype we made. Originally it was going to use security style allen head or torx to secure it in the Jeep. However, my kids and wife quickly nixed the iPad permanently living in the Jeep.

I already use a Lifeproof case for my iPad which is waterproof and dust proof. I sized the mount to work with this case and also have tested it with the Griffin Survivor case.

The LifeProof case is a perfect match for the Jeep and it's intended uses.

Now my Pandora, NAV, music etc are much better and easier to see and access.

The mount uses factory hardware and locations to mount. When the iPad is out you can still use the factory radio.

The next version due back next week will have a single thumbscrew to secure the iPad in the Jeep. Take it with you if you park or hide it in the vehicle.

My jeep also already has an aftermarket shelf on the dash that I find myself using often so a shelf will be integrated into the final product as well.

The mounts are being re-designed to allow some up and down movement so you can place the iPad where you want.

So do you see anything else you want in it?

Attachments

· JKO Dickhead
3,526 Posts
Nice !

· Registered
278 Posts
Another like here as well. I've been looking for a way to mount my ipad in the Jeep and also use the lifeproof case as well. What's your estimated cost? Can you make the front easily removable for when the ipad is not in? I also use a tuffy lock box up top, think there would be any interference?

Matt

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another like here as well. I've been looking for a way to mount my ipad in the Jeep and also use the lifeproof case as well. What's your estimated cost? Can you make the front easily removable for when the ipad is not in? I also use a tuffy lock box up top, think there would be any interference?

Matt
We are cutting out a new one next week that will use a wider base with a slot and one thumbscrew to install and remove the iPad so it should go in and out in a couple twists of a knob.

If you are referring to the tuffy stereo cover and tray, It uses the same mounting locations, but you wouldn't be able to unlock and slide the cover out with this installed. You could remove the side bolts for the iPad mounting face and still slide it out, but I can't imagine that would be useful. Is there a different lock box you are referring to?

I am shooting for keeping them under $100. Maybe $120 with the integrated shelf option?

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like it. Would other sizes be available too? Maybe you could incorporate some sort of small piano type hinge on the top. That would eliminate two of the four bolts.
It would just take a little bit of modifications to the cut program on the plasma table to change the dimensions. The brackets and mounting were the tricky part. Now that we have somewhere to attach stuff, it wouldn't be that difficult. Are you considering a different tablet? What dimensions are you thinking? Is there a "rugged" case for the tablet. The LifeProof and Griffing Survival cases are pretty instrumental due to the water, dust and shock resistance.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think it would accept similar tablets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it sits it will accept a tablet in a case that is 7/8-1" in thickness and 8"x10"

I'd guess that would fit some other tablets.

Anything is possible, It just takes $.

I use the LilfeProof case and it is my primary design consideration. I bought a Griffin Survivor case as wel to try out and I don't like the way it seals. It is more water resistant than water proof.

The LifeProof case also lets you touch the actual glass front of the iPad without using a screen protector or anything. It seals the face of the case against the glass on your tablet.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
How is the glare with the top down in the sun? I use a phone mount for my iphone in the same location. The mount attaches using the CD slot on the stereo. Anyways sometimes, and especially with the top off, the phone is not readable due to glare. I imagine the ipad would be the same. You might want to play with the angle it sits at and see if there is one that works better at reducing glare.

Another thing that might be a good feature, is that with my phone mounted, it is in the perfect position to record forward facing video and it does it really well. If the ipads camera is located correctly this could be a neat feature if the camera is not blocked. I think the ipad would have to be vertical for this to work though.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How is the glare with the top down in the sun? I use a phone mount for my iphone in the same location. The mount attaches using the CD slot on the stereo. Anyways sometimes, and especially with the top off, the phone is not readable due to glare. I imagine the ipad would be the same. You might want to play with the angle it sits at and see if there is one that works better at reducing glare.

Another thing that might be a good feature, is that with my phone mounted, it is in the perfect position to record forward facing video and it does it really well. If the ipads camera is located correctly this could be a neat feature if the camera is not blocked. I think the ipad would have to be vertical for this to work though.
I haven't tried it with the top off. I imagine there is going to be glare of some type at any angle. As it sits now it is at the same angle as the factory NAV system. I have looked at some of the anti-glare films and am planning on trying a couple of them out.

I looked at the back and the camera is exposed. We have built in enough adjustability to raise the mount, but I think you might get a lot of hood in your video. Raising the mount all the way up also might impede your visibility.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The next prototype!

Here's the next prototype. I've already changed a couple items and the third one is on it's way. I'll be out of town all next week, but these should be ready to go in a couple weeks.

Any ideas on what I should call it????

I also used slightly smaller diameter bolts to mount the back plate to the brackets. This provides a few degrees of tilt.

I also found another incidental use!!! Might need a more well endowed model though :)

Can't get pics to upload... I'll try to add them in a bit

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.